The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Tet
Denim Demon

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Tet » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:31 am

I've mellowed over the years. Arsenal no longer trigger the irrational hatred in me that they once did. Obviously, I still want us to beat them at every opportunity (both in head to head matches and in the league), but that doesn't happen too often. I've never disliked the other London clubs, though. And City, a solid mid-table underachieving team have basically bought themselves a Champions League spot at our expense with their oil billions. You could argue Chelsea did the same, but somehow I don't dislike them at much. Go figure.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:59 am

That's just made me think about Arsenal and Chelsea fans, actually.
For the most part, on the internet I find Chelsea fans to be horrible, obnoxious pricks. But in the real world, I've not met one I haven't liked.
I even got taken to a Chelsea supporters pub along with three of my mates a few years ago and we were introduced by our Chelsea mate, pointing to each of us in turn and loudly declaring, "Scouse. Leeds. Villa. Gooner".
We thought we were going to have a bit of fun on our hands, but everyone in the pub just looked at us and smiled, "Alright boys", and a few of them came over to chat. A couple of them even bought us all a pint. Top blokes.

Arsenal fans are the absolute worst on the internet. The worst. No question. However, in real life, I've found that they're incredibly friendly and welcoming. I've drunk in The Gunners Pub outside Highbury numerous times, (including match day when we've been playing them) and I've watched games in the Twelve Pins in Finsbury Park with a pub full of Gooners and the atmosphere has been fantastic.
The only thing about Arsenal fans I don't like is their complete bi-polar bullishness. When they're doing well, they're the best team in the world who play the best football in the world with the best manager in the world and they will win everything because they're so awesome.
However, lose a couple of games and in less time than it takes to say "Wenger out", they go completely the other way. They're more hopeless than your team, they play the worst football, they hate their manager and they'll never win anything while he's in charge. Up pops a decent cup run and they're off again. Most teams have fans like this but Arsenal definitely have the most, and the most extreme, and it's really quite funny to listen to both ends of the scale, sometimes on the very same day.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:03 pm

Darkweasel wrote:For the most part, on the internet I find Chelsea fans to be horrible, obnoxious pricks

:(

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:08 pm

Moonburp wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:For the most part, on the internet I find Chelsea fans to be horrible, obnoxious pricks

:(

:lol:
I did say for the most part.

GetToTheChoppar
Denim Demon

Postby GetToTheChoppar » Sun Mar 23, 2014 12:57 pm

I'd much rather see City win the league this season over Chelsea, only really because I live with a Chelsea fan and I don't want to endure his smugness.
Turbo wrote:Move on, fuck her off. Smoke crack and worship satan.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:25 pm

I'd rather anyone won it but City to be honest, although I do have a bit of a soft spot for Chelsea as Gianfranco Zola was my favourite player to watch growing up and Mourinho is probably my favourite manager.

So my order would probably be Chelsea - Arsenal - Liverpool - City

Nothing against Liverpool really, but the less teams that win the league the more exclusive our title remains :P
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:31 pm

kanet666 wrote:Nothing against Liverpool really, but the less teams that win the league the more exclusive our title remains :P

You do realise we've won the league 18 times already?
Football didn't begin in 1992, you know. :lol: :lol:

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:42 pm

Darkweasel wrote:
kanet666 wrote:Nothing against Liverpool really, but the less teams that win the league the more exclusive our title remains :P

You do realise we've won the league 18 times already?
Football didn't begin in 1992, you know. :lol: :lol:

I know that, but as a crap small town club we have to hold on to everything we can :lol:
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:12 pm

gandalf the red wrote:Now days there is a real hatred from Everton fans of all things Liverpool. It's definitely a generation thing seemingly by the under 30s. The older ones are still usually fine.

I've noticed that over the last 9-10 years, predominantly at the Goodison games. There seems to be more of a family feel to the derby at Anfield but it looks like a war zone over there.

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:38 pm

Darkweasel wrote:The only thing about Arsenal fans I don't like is their complete bi-polar bullishness. When they're doing well, they're the best team in the world who play the best football in the world with the best manager in the world and they will win everything because they're so awesome.
However, lose a couple of games and in less time than it takes to say "Wenger out", they go completely the other way. They're more hopeless than your team, they play the worst football, they hate their manager and they'll never win anything while he's in charge. Up pops a decent cup run and they're off again. Most teams have fans like this but Arsenal definitely have the most, and the most extreme, and it's really quite funny to listen to both ends of the scale, sometimes on the very same day.

I always thought that was just the media. I see what you mean, if definitely seems over the top - this year after 1 game they were in crisis, then they were the best team in the league, now they are failure (somewhat true, but the reactions are so over the top). The papers certainly seem to take that up, dunno about the supporters though.

Personally, as somewhat impartial I've wanted Arsenal to win for most of the season. As that's not looking likely, I'd like Liverpool as I know quite a few Liverpool fans. Chelsea, for some reason, I've begun to hate - I think it's Mourinho who's starting to annoy me with the bullshit he talks. City I don't really think deserve it this year, they haven't really been special when I've watched them.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

cthulhu
Consort of the Beast

Postby cthulhu » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:31 pm

Even as a totally biased open supporter of City i think we've done very well this season so far but frankly we never seem to really get out of 3rd gear we have the best squad in the league right now on paper but the wow factor has been missing this season, and our defense have shown us up far too often not to mention the new managers ridiculous selection policies wherein he will ignore 4 or 5 players in one position and will play the one out of form back up player every single match resulting in calamity each time.

I still think if we don't win it i want Liverpool to win, the fans of theirs have been great to the club and deserve some glory that they don't need to go through the history books to find. Plus Chelsea have rubbed me the wrong way since Mourinho got in and i've had to see his sulky miserable looking face all over the TV often whilst making silly claims and showing no class.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:40 am

gandalf the red wrote:They said that Suarez has beaten Fowler's record for league goals in a season. Roger Hunt scored 41 in a season. And Ian Rush 32.

It's hard for the younger generation to appreciate just how good Rush was. At his peak, he really was outstanding. Shame he was playing for the wrong team ;-)
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:27 pm

gandalf the red wrote:Why are Villa playing in an awful Blackburn style kit? :lol:

Oi! Our kit is a classic blue and white halved number. There's is an awful purple and white quartered number, more akin to Bristol Rovers' strip.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:10 pm

gandalf the red wrote:Apparently Tim Sherwood punched a Spurs player. He knew that he was safe as none of his players would get a shot on target. :P

It's fine. It'll be fine. As long as we win all of our remaining games and Arsenal lose all of theirs, we're good to go.

Champions league here we come.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:20 pm

Jobdone wrote:It's fine. It'll be fine. As long as we win all of our remaining games and Arsenal lose all of theirs, we're good to go.

Champions league here we come.

Don't forget about Everton :P
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London