The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

How will you vote in the 2019 UK General Election?

Conservative
6%
Labour
39%
Liberal Democrat
28%
SNP
No votes
Brexit
6%
Green
11%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
No votes
Won't Vote
11%

Total votes: 18

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The UK political thread (formerly independence thread)

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:18 am

Don't take anything that the self promoted Taxpayers Alliance say seriously. They are nothing but a right wing bunch of loons that make The Tea Party and UKIP seem sane. I'm surprised that the media even give them any publicity. I bet half of them don't even pay any tax. At least one member is a non UK taxpayer.

In October 2009 Elliott admitted that an unpaid non-executive director of the group, Alexander Heath, had not paid any British taxes for several years as he resides in the Loire, France. Heath has lived and paid taxes in France since 1973.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TaxPayers%27_Alliance
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:40 am

keera_envenomed wrote:I think the implying that we shouldn't care about the welfare of pensioners because they'll be dead soon is what makes him a scumbag.

But that's not what he said.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:05 pm

Tet wrote:
keera_envenomed wrote:I think the implying that we shouldn't care about the welfare of pensioners because they'll be dead soon is what makes him a scumbag.

But that's not what he said.

According to that news report, that's exactly what he said. That and they might just forget who screwed them over due to having senior moments which is equally insulting.

Mr Wild, who is research director of the think tank which campaigns for lower taxes and highlights examples of Government waste, said the cuts should be made "as soon as possible after an election for two reasons".

"The first of which will sound a little bit morbid - some of the people... won't be around to vote against you in the next election. So that's just a practical point, and the other point is they might have forgotten by then."
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:47 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:According to that news report, that's exactly what he said.

No, it's really not. You're reading what you what into that, rather than what he actually said. Nowhere did he mention, or even imply, not caring about pensioners. Now I suspect he doesn't, but that's a different issue.

keera_envenomed wrote:That and they might just forget who screwed them over due to having senior moments which is equally insulting.

No it's not. It's the truth. If you're choosing to get insulted by the truth, regardless of how unpalatable it may be, then the problem lies with you. Expressing the truth is not insulting.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:39 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:
Tet wrote:
kanet666 wrote:Wow, what a scumbag.

A scumbag? For pointing out that we're spending more than we're getting in, that high levels of public spending are unsustainable and that cuts need to be made?

I think the [u]implying that we shouldn't care about the welfare of pensioners because they'll be dead soon is what makes him a scumbag.[/u]

So that's why Cameron isn't taking Corbyn seriously... :P

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:34 am

Tet wrote:
keera_envenomed wrote:According to that news report, that's exactly what he said.

No, it's really not. You're reading what you what into that, rather than what he actually said. Nowhere did he mention, or even imply, not caring about pensioners. Now I suspect he doesn't, but that's a different issue.

keera_envenomed wrote:That and they might just forget who screwed them over due to having senior moments which is equally insulting.

No it's not. It's the truth. If you're choosing to get insulted by the truth, regardless of how unpalatable it may be, then the problem lies with you. Expressing the truth is not insulting.

I'm sorry but if you say someone's opinion doesn't matter because they'll be dead soon, you don't care! That's hardly reading things into it - that's a basic knowledge of human empathy.

And it's not the truth that pensioners will just forget because they are old. Granted in some cases it'll be true but it's still (insert forum meme here) making massive generalisations. Many older people are still perfectly capable of recalling who was in government 5 years previously. My grandad was as sharp mentally as he ever was almost until they day he died aged 85.

Seriously though, where is that meme? It's too good to lost forever.

15/07 - Saor - London

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:35 am

keera_envenomed wrote:Seriously though, where is that meme? It's too good to lost forever.

Everything is awful forever. Googled it, it's gone

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3043 ... ations.png

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:40 am

Jobdone wrote:
keera_envenomed wrote:Seriously though, where is that meme? It's too good to lost forever.

Nooooo :cry:

15/07 - Saor - London

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:42 am

keera_envenomed wrote:
Jobdone wrote:

Nooooo :cry:

I'll have to check my external tonight, there's no way I haven't got that saved somewhere.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:06 am

I understand the sentiment of the statement to a degree (not to the point of pretty much calling old people coffin dodgers) that perhaps cuts should be made towards older generations (as much as a politically suicidal move this would be) as a lot of (scarce) resources are being spent on investments that won't have many returns. It's a painful and harsh truth but it's true, everyone everywhere is facing cuts but pensioners are almost a protected government department because of the amount of votes they carry.

The Tory conference is scary as usual, hearing some of the ways they pander to their audience makes you realize just how destructive they're going to be

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:43 am

No. It's rich pensioners that get all the extras such as tax breaks, not the ones on bog standard pensions. And I know a hell of a lot more about this than most who post on here as I work for Age UK. :lol:

Yes they get "free" bus passes and TV licences (75 and over). But how many are actually mobile enough to even go out? How many can actually afford a TV? When you know that some pensioners have a choice whether to put the heating on or eat then there's something wrong with the country. And stupid comments from a multi millionaire who nobody has ever voted for is not helpful.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:54 am

Turns out it was all spin. Release a report just before the PM's speech at conference suggesting the hammer should fall on one group, dismiss it outright as unfair and immoral, pledge not to cut from that group. So in one fell swoop the PM looks like he's defending his main voting block from cuts, making cuts elsewhere to others look moral and make himself look the good guy.

So 5 months in and I'm already cynical, going to be a long 5 years :rolleyes:

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:54 am

Now he has professed his love for jihadi john in so many words, and given the events of last night- then I really loathe him now, he is dangerous, and a typical politician courting the votes of those that will breed him into power.

Andy (Dr Sin)
Consort of the Beast

Postby Andy (Dr Sin) » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:55 pm

Jeremy Corbyn is a piece of shit.
Where's my old bloody account gone?!

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:23 pm

Are people only just learning about Corbyn's vile love of terrorists? This is the scumbag that called the IRA "heroes" when they blew up the hotel in Brighton, supported the Argies during the Falklands War and encourages suicide bombers in Israel. That's just a few of the many "causes" that he believes in.

Yet he makes himself out as a pacifist. Go figure.