The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Danroush
Denim Demon

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Danroush » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:10 pm

kanet666 wrote:
Danroush wrote:
Bearstock wrote:Charlton, scum, Blackburn.

We seem to be in a run of getting managers axed after playing us recently.

Nottingham Forest on Saturday week and Freedman isn't looking too clever......

He's so meh. Freedman inspires no confidence at all.

I seem to recall saying he was crap when you got him :P

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I found his announcement quite meh at the time too.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:00 pm

Tet wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:a 95% Liverpool supporting area

How does that work, then? For two teams that have grounds essentially next to each other, what governs the geographical split of support? What makes some areas support Everton and others support Liverpool? Unlike most teams, it's presumably not going to be based on proximity to the ground. I'd assumed support for both would be evenly distributed, rather than clustered into areas supporting one team or the other.

You have to look at the history of the two clubs. Everton was the established team in the area although there were many others such as Bootle and South Liverpool that were just as well supported at the time (late 19th Century). When Everton had a dispute with the owner of Anfield they were kicked out and relocated to Goodison Park. The owner of Anfield decided to establish his own team which is Liverpool.

Contrary to popular belief it's not under sectarian lines as both of them were Protestant teams. Which always makes me laugh at the Celtic fans that think Liverpool are somehow Catholic. :lol:

Most of the Everton support comes from the area around their ground. Walton, Scotland Road, etc. But they have very little support outside that area. That's the main reason they have turned down relocations to other parts of the city such as Speke, Kirkby and Halewood where the training ground is (although the last two are in Knowsley). Everton really is a local club for local people.

Liverpool's support comes from all over the rest of the city. The south end of the city is very much predominantly Liverpool supporters. You would probably see more students walking around with a Man United shirt on than a local with an Everton one. :lol:

About the falling out.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Houlding
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:05 am

Apparently McClaren has 2 games to save his job - let's hope we get thrashed in these 2 then as long as it means getting rid of this clown!!!

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:28 am

bloodfiend wrote:Apparently McClaren has 2 games to save his job - let's hope we get thrashed in these 2 then as long as it means getting rid of this clown!!!

Bring back Carver, you were a lot more entertaining when you had him. At least then while you were losing you had a manager who was funny :lol:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:42 pm

Paging Tim Sherwood...
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:45 pm

Tet wrote:Paging Tim Sherwood...

:lol: :lol:

Danroush
Denim Demon

Postby Danroush » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:29 pm

bloodfiend wrote:Apparently McClaren has 2 games to save his job - let's hope we get thrashed in these 2 then as long as it means getting rid of this clown!!!

I don't mind newcastle, and hate McClaren so sounds good to me! Shame they beat Liverpool :(
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:50 pm

Danroush wrote:

I don't mind newcastle, and hate McClaren so sounds good to me! Shame they beat Liverpool :(

Find it funny a lot of Newcastle fans are unhappy that they didn't lose for once :lol:

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 1:57 pm

Van Gaal's giving Mouriniho a run for his money in terms of throwing toys out of his pram after losing on Tuesday

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:46 am

It's his job on the line though. If they don't do the basic minimum then they are out the door and have lost quite a few quid personally.

I reckon that a manager of United and probably Chelsea's minimum is at least to be trying to win the Champions League whereas the rest of them have a bit more leeway. That's why Arsene has lasted so long, he's not won it for Arsenal, but every year he usually does the bare minimum of qualifying for the later rounds.

But how you can boo a team that is in the top four and a win from the top is baffling. Yes it may be a bit boring but the results surely come first. Or you end up like other teams that play lovely football but get four put past them every week.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:03 am

Tottenham managed to rotate huge parts of the squad and still looked rather decent. Admittedly Monaco were fairly dross, but still. Been a bit worried about depth/Poch not trusting players so that was a pleasant surprise.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:44 pm

3 wins and draw under Paul Lambert so far... grinding out results with the dross he has to work with and now we're 2 points from Cardiff in 6th. Bring on Forest on Monday!
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Kanwulf
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Kanwulf » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:20 pm

Germany, Poland and Ukraine :(

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:25 pm

Surprised no one's mentioned Jimmy Hill or Mourinho yet...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:05 pm

We had a lucky escape today against a very solid Watford side. Ighalo looks dangerous every time he's near the ball. If they manage to hang on to him in January, they'll be doing well. But he'll be off to a bigger club come the end of the season.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...