The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue May 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Living within our means? You're forgeting United have a gross revenue of over half a billion a year. £87m is a drop in the ocean for us. We can afford to be flippant with transfers, though I admit the club's made far too many mistakes in the transfer window in recent years and that's something that's being cracked down on. See the buy-back clause in Memphis Depay's contract at Lyon for example- we'll never have to pay over the odds to get our own player back again. The last of Van Gaal's flops like Darmian and Shaw will be jettisoned this Summer too and I can't see Jose making any stupid purchases like he did.

Also if you don't think Pogba is worth £89m go watch his last performance against City. He is almost there, he just needs a little more consistency week to week and a definitive role with our tactical set-up.

And last of all, stop using the word "success" in the same sentence as Tottenham Hotspurs. When you win something and actually join the big boys, then you can use it.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed May 16, 2018 7:50 am

World Cup squad is being announced today, I believe. Already reported that Hart and Wilshere are out of the squad (which I am happy about).

I am actually quietly looking forward to this WC. I don't think we'll win, but I think we have a team / system that has the potential to beat anyone on the day.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed May 16, 2018 12:04 pm

Allardyce sacked.

Rumours were already flying about Moyes returning and now Moyes has left West Ham....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed May 16, 2018 9:02 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:And United buying trophies? Not a chance.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote: £87m is a drop in the ocean for us. We can afford to be flippant with transfers,

Glad to see you say it yourself

Haldamir319 wrote:I am actually quietly looking forward to this WC. I don't think we'll win, but I think we have a team / system that has the potential to beat anyone on the day.

Wish I had your level of optimism, when it comes to tournaments proper we have a knack for going to pot.

Gandalf the Red wrote:Allardyce sacked.

Rumours were already flying about Moyes returning and now Moyes has left West Ham....

I don't get the hate for either Moyes or Allardyce by their now ex-teams' fans, they both succeeded in hitting their targets; yeah it wasn't attractive football but they kept both teams away from relegation which would of been the priority by the time they were brought in. It wasn't like either were going to be long term managers.

kurrupo
Warrior of Metal

Postby kurrupo » Fri May 18, 2018 11:24 pm

houston4044 wrote:I don't get the hate for either Moyes or Allardyce by their now ex-teams' fans, they both succeeded in hitting their targets; yeah it wasn't attractive football but they kept both teams away from relegation which would of been the priority by the time they were brought in. It wasn't like either were going to be long term managers.

It's something I didn't understand either until having to suffer 2 seasons of Pulis at West brom. At first you accept the rubbish football because it gets results, but lose a few games on the bounce and it really starts eating away at you. Slowly Pulis was destroying my love for football, I genuinely stopped looking forward to games and most of the time wished I was at home doing something else. I said at the time I'd rather be relegated than have to watch any more of it, and I still stand by that even after relegation.

It's something that you can't really properly 'get' until you watch that brand of football week in, week out, whilst parting with your hard earned money for the privilege. Wouldn't wish it on any team to be honest

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sat May 19, 2018 10:26 am

True, I would resent paying to watch that kind of football myself but I'm still kind of torn. As a fire fighting job to salvage a season to start afresh the next I guess I would accept it, it's better to start anew in the same league than have to rejiggle the whole set up for a season (at least) in the championship and get promoted back to square one. But I guess my whole argument rests on the assumption that the successor starts playing more attractive football in the long term.

Speaking of West Brom, good to see them giving Moore the job permanently, he did well in the short space of time he was given, just unfortunate he came too late in the season to make a great escape possible

kurrupo
Warrior of Metal

Postby kurrupo » Sat May 19, 2018 12:23 pm

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from. Don't get me wrong, when pulis first took over 2 seasons back I thought it was correct appointment in the short term to steady the ship. Our biggest problem was keeping him past the end of the 16/17 season after not winning a game for 3 months. I'm really happy with Moore bring appointed though, we need some fresh ideas from a young manager instead of constantly sticking with the 'experienced' old guard

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:42 am

Well that was a boring cup final, picked up a bit in the second half but wasn't the most entertaining game.

Also, Lambert sacked from Stoke

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed May 30, 2018 10:15 am

CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:03 am

Final World Cup warm up game for England tonight. Looks like we are playing Butland in goal and giving Alexander-Arnold his debut. I'll be interested to see how we do - Costa Rica are no mugs these days.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:41 pm

Drew Serbia at my workplace's sweepstakes, don't even think I'll get my stake back by making it out of the group stage

Black Wizard
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:20 pm

Gearing up for the World Cup.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:51 am

Black Wizard wrote:Gearing up for the World Cup.

Apparently if you're part of the Spanish team that involves sacking your manager at the last minute...

New manager bounce going into the WC, seems the premier league is more influential than we thought.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Saudi Arabia remind me of someone whose never played FIFA before but is trying to learn the controls. Would make Wenger proud though, they only once tried to actually shoot and spent the rest of the time trying to pass it into the goal

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:40 am

I was amazed at the Saudi's lack of attacking movement. It was like they were used to just passing it around until a defender makes a mistake.

Fair play to Russia though, they might have been the lowest ranked team in the comp (lol, Fifa rankings), but they played a solid game and were clinical in front of goal.