The (Un) Official Football thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: The (Un) Official Football thread

Postby houston4044 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:10 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
houston4044 wrote:So Mersyside going blue then?

Lol wut? :lol:

I dunno, half the football talk I've heard on the radio today has been about how Everton are doing well in the transfer market while L'pool are sitting still. Couple that with L'pool being distracted by CL next season, Everton could challenge top 4. I thought I was in the minority who thought it was an over-reaction but apprantly not :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:45 pm

Nah. You just have to look at the BBC website to see the over reaction. The whole Football page is Everton this and Everton that.

Fact is Everton's squad is a shadow of the quality in Liverpool's. It doesn't take a genius to point out that Liverpool have been under performing. As long as they can keep the two Brazilian attacking players and get rid of a bit of dead wood then they'll be fine. I also think they are taking things easy after the Van Dijk cock up and they've got to wait and see about other players as there is a bit of a merry go round happening. There's nearly another two months to go yet.

Everton have already spent the Lukaku money by the looks of it.

Goalkeeper that lets in more than 2 per game who cost £25 million. An unproven defender from Burnley that cost £25 million. A similar amount for a relatively unknown midfielder from Ajax. That's £75 million spent.

And if anyone mentions the owner being rich then look at the way he's going to the council with cap in hand to try to get a new stadium. The guy doesn't seem to have any real money, just shares here and shares there.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:51 pm

I would also like to add,

Who on earth wears football team pyjamas after the age of about ten? :lol:

Or even pyjamas when you're a grown man? :|
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:12 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:Goalkeeper that lets in more than 2 per game who cost £25 million. An unproven defender from Burnley that cost £25 million. A similar amount for a relatively unknown midfielder from Ajax. That's £75 million spent.

Pickford had a goals conceded/game ratio of 1.72 last season (shoddy, but less than the 2 per game you're claiming), but he also was making the most saves per game of any goalkeeper in the league at 4.65 per game. I think people are right to be excited to see what he can do with some proper defenders in front of him for a change (albeit without Seamus Coleman til at least halfway through the season.) And I'd include Michael Keane in that, I think he did prove himself last year considering he was played all 10 of Burnley's clean sheets.

I agree on Davy Klaasen though. 14 goals in the Eredivise is not an awful lot considering the quality of that league. He was taken completely out of the game with ease by United in the Europa League final so I can see him struggling in the Premier League. Looking at his stats for last year the only club he scored against that I think are comparable to the quality of the English top flight is Schalke 04 who he scored two against (one penalty) in the Europa League quarter final. He could turn out to be a total bust for Everton.

I think they may have gotten a bargain on Sandro from Malaga which no one is talking about strangely. £5.2m for a Barcelona academy player who scored 14 goals in La Liga last season, including against Barca and Atletico? Now that's a guy I'd have spent £25m on in a heartbeat.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:44 pm

L'Pool under performing? I thought you had overachieved last season with your squad :lol: Doing as well as you've done with a lack of depth in the squad and players like Sturridge breaking from the slightest breeze was quite an achievement. Think you need to hold onto Mane and Clyne more than the Brazilians, they provided a strength and backbone that often went overlooked.

I thought it was the usual hyperbole but given the amount of people spouting off about Everton I figured I was being my usual cynical self :lol: I do think they'll make things interesting though.

I think £25mil for Pickford is a good buy, his performance in the u21 championships were solid and when you consider who he was playing for last season he did a cracking job, it's his save stats you need to look at, hell only 2 goals a game when you have the Sunderland squad out in front of you is an achievement in itself :lol: When you factor in the usual inflated price for an English player it sounds alright.

If Everton can get Rooney back does that mean we can have Bale back? :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:37 pm

We well underachieved, mainly due to our inability to beat the lesser teams that we should be beating easily. We were unbeaten against the so called top teams.

What's getting me though is the first pre-season game is in two days time and it's only a month to the first proper game. :o

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:36 pm

houston4044 wrote:If Everton can get Rooney back does that mean we can have Bale back? :lol:

Maybe in 10 years after he's lost his touch.
Upcoming Gigs

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:37 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:
houston4044 wrote:If Everton can get Rooney back does that mean we can have Bale back? :lol:

Maybe in 10 years after he's lost his touch.

Knowing our luck we'd end up with Adebayor again instead :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:54 pm

What's with the current trend for football and other sport being shown on random TV channels that aren't normally sports channels or general broadcasters like the BBC or ITV?

First Dave was showing stuff like boxing and MMA, then More4 was showing women's football and another channel that I can't recall was showing Indian Cricket. Now Quest are showing football. They currently have Arsenal V Benfica on.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:44 pm

Thanks for the heads up. I won't pay for sky or bt so only get to watch arsenal on tv in the fa cup.
I see the bad moon arising.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:09 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:What's with the current trend for football and other sport being shown on random TV channels that aren't normally sports channels or general broadcasters like the BBC or ITV?

First Dave was showing stuff like boxing and MMA, then More4 was showing women's football and another channel that I can't recall was showing Indian Cricket. Now Quest are showing football. They currently have Arsenal V Benfica on.

Probably just because they're cheap to get the rights for. I mean aside from Dave having the BDO darts (and that's been overtaken in stature by the PDC now arguably) these aren't exactly top competitive examples of the sports in question. That British MMA event they broadcasted was to the UFC what non-league football is the Premier League. The Emirates Cup has big teams in it but it's still a friendly tournament.
Upcoming Gigs

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:58 am

I can understand it being on Channel Five.

But channel 37, which normally has programmes like Auction Hunters or How It's Made is a bit strange.

It wasn't even advertised very well.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:08 am

Can't remember what the tournament was but I laughed when quest were showing snooker earlier in the year because it seemed so random.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Aug 01, 2017 8:14 pm

Itv 4 showing football.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:11 pm

I had planned on watching it but stayed in the pub talking nonsense. :lol:

Seems that Klopp has had enough of Sturridge being a cry baby and feigning injury though. Get rid, if anyone else would have him. It'll cut the wage bill down a bit at least.

"Fatigue" my arse! Can't even last 17 minutes in a friendly.:rolleyes: