A driving thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Noodle
I am the Law!

Re: A driving thread

Postby Noodle » Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:38 am

Stupid me has been on Auto Trader to try to observe what's around for between £1-3k-ish.

Criteria:
>Estate (space is going to be important)
>Four wheel drive (weekends away sometimes take us to muddy fields, plus I'll be towing)
>Reasonably hot (I want some fun)
>Manual

The female has already rejected anything Impreza for "boy racer" related excuses, which chucks my first choice out of the window.

A hot Legacy (Spec B, I think) was on there for half a day.

I'd rather avoid any Quattros, of which I found a couple.

Turns out Volvo did a reasonably warm four-wheel-drive.

Casting my net further is difficult as you can't make four-wheel-drive a reliably searchable criteria on Auto Trader.

Any ideas or suggestions, besides "Just go for a Focus diesel?
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:26 am

As another Fuji Heavy Industries driver, go for an Impreza.

It's not boy racer unless it's WRX spec. If that's still out, go for a Legacy.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:20 pm

The combo unfortunately does suggest Impreza, Legacy or Quattro. I believe Skoda is a reasonably hot 4wd Octavia - IF you can find one.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:57 pm

Might have got lucky with a speeding conviction I got in Germany. Doing the normal 50kph (residential speed limit) in a 30kph zone. Still can't work out how to travel at 18mph. I could walk faster.

Managed to get home in resonable time today, was doing 150kph most of the way back (exactly 70mph). Excluding the cross wind I had on the way down - naturally, I had a sodding high roof transit and was being blown and not in a good way all over the place. Had a fucking Merc back. Was an auto so I am not going to whinge too much.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:54 am

I showed her a Turbo 2000 from 1 era and a later WRX spec and both got the same response. Shame, but probably for the best if I don't want to become target practice for police speed guns.

Legacy owners seem happy. As long as an eye is kept on oil and remember not to abuse the throttle, they're good to live with. Insurance for a "3L Legacy R Spec B auto" matches my 2L Focus.

For a bit of reference to what I want from performance, my Focus Ghia apparently has 124bhp and does 0-60 in the second half of 9 seconds (top speed is not important as UK roads tell me I should never even approach 125mph, and I have certainly never tried. Ever.). Most others seem to be around that area of performance.

To be fair to it, it's not that bad over 3000rpm, 3rd gear will go from around 15mph until 50-ish, and I'm still happy to have something with more fire than my old 1.1L Fiesta, which lost speed on slight inclines without any additional loading. I just want to be greedier.

On a side note, Porsche 924 for under 3 grand... 1977 Mini Clubman automatic for a few thousand.
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:14 am

Noodle wrote:For a bit of reference to what I want from performance, my Focus Ghia apparently has 124bhp and does 0-60 in the second half of 9 seconds (top speed is not important as UK roads tell me I should never even approach 125mph, and I have certainly never tried. Ever.). Most others seem to be around that area of performance.

I was doing 125-ish around the M25 not that long ago in my car. A little bit interesting, was that.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:45 am

When I can afford and find the car I'm after, I think we ought to set a date for a forum track day meet. Turbo can bring whatever car he's driving for work that day.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:22 am

I'd happily take a Porsche 924 as a project car. As it'll cost a fortune to service from second hand at a garage so I'd do it myself over a few weekends.

Forum track day sounds like a good idea!

About £150 - £180 or so for most circuits with open pitlane: http://www.trackdays.co.uk/calendar/

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:19 pm

I am going to need some new tyres after this...

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:32 pm

Noodle wrote:When I can afford and find the car I'm after, I think we ought to set a date for a forum track day meet. Turbo can bring whatever car he's driving for work that day.

Ford Tipper, with the bed in the air (badboy spoiler ya get me?!). :lol: :lol:

...I can get two in the front with me, will need a fresh set of undies after my lap I think.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:10 pm

You know what I dislike about driving in winter? Everyone slows down to 40 as soon as it gets dark - which I have no issue with, I completely understand not feeling comfortable at speed/in the dark/rain - and then gets pissy when I overtake them.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:39 pm

I have a friend that's trying to sell his Legacy, if you're interested.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:33 pm

What's everyones views on cruise control? First time I used it I think was last week or the week before as I have never owned a car with that facility. At the moment the only time I am comfortable with using it is in roadworks, but otherwise I don't think it's ideal at all. Though I was a bit sceptical about autoboxes, and now I am of the mind my next car will be an auto.

Did have a go on the flappy pedal gearbox on the Merc I brought back, saw no benefits to that at all. Think the Mercs autobox was good enough.

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:22 pm

I use Cruise Control when it's clear enough, otherwise it's a PITA because few other people have it, so you're continually catching up with people who seem to speed up as soon as you ease off / go to overtake.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:48 pm

I love cruise control. As long as its and intelligent system that doesn't instanly disengage as soon as you touch a pedal it makes motorways so much easier.