Cooking!

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Moonburp
Denim Demon

Re: Cooking!

Postby Moonburp » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:13 am

thehairyone wrote:...who puts jam in a trifle? Needless I say, needless!

That's what I thought, but I'm probably going to trust a chef de patisserie about these matters :P

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:21 pm

gandalf the red wrote:
skull-wart wrote:So you bought a trifle essentially.

I think he means he used packet jelly (which you boil up), tinned custard powder, ready made sponge cake and ready made cream. Fair does, that's making a trifle. Unless you expect him to start by picking fruit, milking cows, etc. :P

As Carl Sagan said "In order to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe"
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:37 pm

gandalf the red wrote:

I think he means he used packet jelly (which you boil up), tinned custard powder, ready made sponge cake and ready made cream. Fair does, that's making a trifle. Unless you expect him to start by picking fruit, milking cows, etc. :P

I will never understand the purpose of "making" a trifle using pre-bought everything, it tastes the same as a bought one and probably looks worse. If you make all the components it tastes infinitely better, plus you can put enough booze in to get you wasted 8)

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:58 pm

I bought preprepared or ready processed ingredients (how do you make lime or strawberry jelly?) plus a tub of cream that had been prepared for easier whipping; all I had to do waa shove an electric whisk into it.

A small amount of skill was required to splodge it all together to make it trifley. The fact I got that far without shoving it into a slow cooker for far too long is a miracle. Remember, this is someone who doesn't make sweets in a kitchen for a living and doesn't know anything about food, is not passionate in any way about food and will often forget important ingredients for some foods.

A baking illiterate made a trifle using a method from memory that didn't involve buying a shit shop trifle.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:
gandalf the red wrote:

I will never understand the purpose of "making" a trifle using pre-bought everything, it tastes the same as a bought one and probably looks worse. If you make all the components it tastes infinitely better, plus you can put enough booze in to get you wasted 8)

It tasted nothing like a shop bought trifle. There was no soggy fruit in the bottom, the sponge would have been no different to a home baked one after having jelly poured on it, I prepared the custard so it wouldn't end up just tasting and looking like cold custard like the stuff in a shop bought one, I can handle not getting all merry from a pudding, although I do concede that I'm not exactly an artist with whipped cream so it did look a bit messy.
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:51 pm

Guys, can we stop ragging on Noodle's trifle? I'm sure it looked and tasted lovely however much pre-prepared stuff went into it.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:18 pm

gandalf the red wrote:I was sticking up for him. That sounds like a trifle to me. :lol:

I think they were just accusing him of not pudding enough effort into it.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:20 pm

Everyone's just trying to deal with the fact that they haven't got trifle. It's ok, I don't blame them; jealousy is an awfully difficult emotion to rise above.
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:28 pm

This whole conversation have been very trifling.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:50 pm

God fucking damn it I want trifle now.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:42 pm

Just to clarify I wasn't trying to be bitchy about the trifle, I just have a tendency to be snobby about food...

Also to make a strawberry and lime jelly, it's strawberry puree, lime juice, sugar and gelatine :P

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:29 pm

Strawberry squash, lime jelly, done.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Fri Mar 14, 2014 1:07 am

Rest assured, chef. It was not shit. :p

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:19 pm

Cajun Scotch Eggs came out very nicely. The Cajun spices go very well with the pork.

Turns out baking them is considerably less of a faff than frying them, as well as being healthier (although they're still hardly a healthy choice).
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:32 am

I support the ideal of home cooking against ready meals and the digusting things we read about restaurants, but it tires me out and I often end up eating crisps and chocolate to keep me going.
Last edited by Metalchemyst on Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:16 am

Trying out slow cooking a brisket joint.

Roughly chopped carrot & parsnip on the bottom, with olive oil, (frozen) diced onion and rosemary. Flash-fried the joint on the edges over a high heat to brown it a little, then add to the slow cooker. Finish off with 300ml of a beef Oxo cube & water, and a little extra rosemary on top. Planning to mash the veg at the bottom once it's done to make a rough gravy.

Shall report later how it turns out.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?