Cooking!

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Cooking!

Postby skull-wart » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:16 pm

I've had a look, couldn't see one, etc. ;)

I've been doing some cooking recently - easier than I expected.
Where does everyone get their recipes? What the you usually end up cooking if only because you can't be bothered putting the effort in. And the elusive question of the best festival food, and what it may be? Post some things about cooking or ask questions about cooking. I doubt I can help but I'll give it a shot as usual.

I'm partial to a white loaf and French Roule when camping since last year, myself :lol:
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

JrHunter
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Cooking!

Postby JrHunter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:20 pm

Since I've moved back here I haven't done as much proper cooking as I did at Annabel's, mainly cause I don't have the cupboard full of every spicy or herb etc you'll ever need.

Once I get my own place and a job I plan to get all that kind of stuff again and have myself an awesome kitchen.
I shall perfect the best burrito and BBQ pork! Was just starting to get confident enough to try making new things so when I do get a place sorted I'll maybe get myself a load of cook books or something and just start making loads of random new stuff!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:22 pm

I tend to just chuck whatever I want in, usually get some good results. Made a bitchin' chilli the other week.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:39 pm

http://sortedfood.com/

This site is pretty awesome for recipes.
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

JrHunter
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby JrHunter » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:44 pm

gandalf the red wrote:Image

Is all you need.

:ugh:

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:50 pm

Applecore wrote:I tend to just chuck whatever I want in, usually get some good results. Made a bitchin' chilli the other week.

I just end up cooking a baked potato with some salad most nights. It's pretty damn tasty though, so it's not all bad. I made some awesome chilli, when I made it a second time and added in the chilli it didn't taste as good? Bullshit!

JrHunter wrote:Once I get my own place and a job I plan to get all that kind of stuff again and have myself an awesome kitchen.
I shall perfect the best burrito and BBQ pork! Was just starting to get confident enough to try making new things so when I do get a place sorted I'll maybe get myself a load of cook books or something and just start making loads of random new stuff!

I used to say once I moved out I'd make everything perfect but just gave up on the idea. I'm good with my mediocre equipment for now. Cook books can be cool, Jamie Oliver's website has some good idea and pretty pictures too.

Let's not forget the best festival food too. I normally take my hexistove - so noodles are the thing to beat at the minute.

Those beasts.

TheLotusEater193
Denim Demon

Postby TheLotusEater193 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:03 pm

I get my recipes all from books or magazines, me and my mum have a mass of clippings from newspapers and other places. I find the majority of the recipes on the internet are bullshit tbh, the best seems to be BBC but even some of them are dodgy.

Right now I'm making a caramel pear pudding :D It's a wartime recipe of my granny's so it's really simple and classic, it just tastes so damn gooooood.

Pope Richard
Lowly Peon

Postby Pope Richard » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:07 pm

I'm a big fan of burgers, so I am pretty good with some beef patties. I devised a bacon wrapped bison burger a while back and I still try to make them every now and then even though bison is a bit hard to find here in the UK. Moose burgers are even harder to find, but worth it if you can track it down.

I don't really use any particular recipe websites. I kinda just choose things that are easy to do and modify them a bit. Burgers are amazing for random variations.
I'm in a few bands: The Meads of Asphodel, Carnivorous Forest, Ebonillumini, The Higher Craft, Iron Thatcher, Antitheist, Sea Wolves of the Atlantic, Chantepleure, Maple Tea, <Redacted>.

I also host a weekly podcast called The Eucharistic Assembly.

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:10 pm

S'all about potatoes! Made some sweet potato wedges and left them for a while. By the time we bit into them they were soft and cold :hurl:

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:14 pm

We were given a slow cooker for Christmas. Buy a pack of prepared veg rather than cutting it up yourself and it takes 5 minutes to throw everything in and turn the pot on. Just leave it for 6-8 hours and you're done. There's literally nothing else to it. And slow-cooked beef is fucking awesome.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Ndnd
Denim Demon

Postby Ndnd » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:20 pm

I am going shopping this weekend for some spices and 'stuff' to do some proper cooking over the next few weeks. The Riad I was staying in Marrekech had the best cook ever, every single dish I had was incredible, so much so that I asked for the recipes and she showed me how to make them.

The first one I will make is the Chicken and Raisin Tagine, tasted beautiful :)
Mau Mau
Noodle wrote:Darkweasel, Kim or sig in 3.... 2...

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:52 pm

I have a couple of cookbooks I get ideas from, plus the BBC website. I rarely trust other websites as they're full of yanks who cook some really weird things and use odd measurements.

One of my favourite things to do is to wonder around the supermarket when they're doing reductions and pick up what I can on the cheap, then make a meal around it. For example, the other night I picked up two quail for 50p. Now I just have to work out what to do with it...

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:55 pm

I don't have time to cook as much as I used to. That said, I did last night, even though I cocked it up. I didn't make enough sauce to cover the pasta. I'm normally pretty good at estimating sizes :-(

Recipes mostly come from my head. I learned the basics from my girlfriend, but from there, it's just a case of thinking "what would go well with that?" and making it. If you can make a good roux, you can make a bazillion other things from there.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

ChloeFrancis
Lowly Peon

Postby ChloeFrancis » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:08 pm

LOVE cooking!!! armed to my tits in cookbooks covering everything from desserts, cakes, savouries, breads, pastries, Vegan, Vegetarian, Chinese, student too. Plus there's a highly personal one which my mum started with all her favourite recipes. Nothing better then when you cook and it's absolutely delicious!!
Her eyes are bright with wonder, but does anyone realise she's dead inside.[i][/i]

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Thu Jan 23, 2014 7:47 pm

I can cook but I prefer just doing meats of different kinds and sauces. I think I can bake but it's bloody well technical.

I can make a shithot awesome Scottish tablet, though.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?