The Anime Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Potato-Jim
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: The Anime Thread

Postby Potato-Jim » Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:38 pm

Smindas wrote:For anyone who likes VR and MMO stuff, I'd suggest Sword Art Online. I've just started watching it and the premise is pretty awesome / ridiculous. Only like two episodes in so far, mind, so it might be terrible.

Nah, the show just finished it's second season and it's still pretty good.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:47 pm

Fair enough, however I do see Joe's point about the slow-down about half way through the first season. It's all getting a bit too lovey-dovey for me at the moment.

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:12 pm

Smindas wrote:Fair enough, however I do see Joe's point about the slow-down about half way through the first season. It's all getting a bit too lovey-dovey for me at the moment.

Yeah it does that, but that calms right down later, and in Sword Art 2 it's practically not there at all.

WrestlingAndMetal
Lowly Peon

Postby WrestlingAndMetal » Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:35 pm

I'm a casual anime fan :) started with death note & naruto recently any other decent move on point from there? Heard ghost in the shell is good
Free thinkers are dangerous

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:27 pm

WrestlingAndMetal wrote:I'm a casual anime fan :) started with death note & naruto recently any other decent move on point from there? Heard ghost in the shell is good

Code Geass
Fullmetal Alchemist
Stein;s Gate
Fairy Tail
Sword Art : Online
Cowboy Bebop

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Wed Dec 31, 2014 4:20 pm

The entirety of Dragon Ball / Z is all anyone ever really needs.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:02 pm

Watched Millennium Actress this evening for the first time. I think that might genuinely be one of the best films I've ever seen.

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:18 pm

What's it like?

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:32 pm

It's from the director who did Perfect Blue, which might give you a little hint towards a bit of the surrealism. It's basically an account of a fictional actress's life, which she reveals during an interview. But her memories of events in her personal life blur with her career, so everything becomes this really interesting melded narrative. I was hooked pretty quickly.

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:41 pm

Smindas wrote:It's from the director who did Perfect Blue, which might give you a little hint towards a bit of the surrealism. It's basically an account of a fictional actress's life, which she reveals during an interview. But her memories of events in her personal life blur with her career, so everything becomes this really interesting melded narrative. I was hooked pretty quickly.

Kanwulf
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Kanwulf » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:04 am

Smindas wrote:Fair enough, however I do see Joe's point about the slow-down about half way through the first season. It's all getting a bit too lovey-dovey for me at the moment.

Yeah, the Alfheim arc was pretty boring. Not seen the newest series though.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:34 am

Blake_Porter wrote:

Yeah, the Alfheim arc was pretty boring. Not seen the newest series though.

It's pretty good. I'm just rewatching it now (just finished rewatching the first series).

SM Crystal doesn't seem to holding my interest very well. I feel like I'm watching it out of obligation, rather than actual interest.. I think Chibi's about to make an appearance, so my will to continue watching may be tested even further, depending on how annoying they've made her in this series.

Not seen the latest Fate yet, but I'm hoping that's picked up the pace a bit. There's been far too much conversation lately, I want more action dammit.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Kanwulf
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Kanwulf » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:28 pm

I have watched the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal and refuse to watch anymore of it until the series is over because when I get into SM, I don't want to stop :lol:

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:13 am

Holy shit Death Notes second intro is Maximum The Hormone? That is claaassssss

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:16 pm

Has anyone watched Nobunaga Concerto? A high school student randomly falls in to past, waking up in feudal Japan and assumes the role of a lord. Hilarity ensues. It's also one of the most interesting looking animes I've ever seen - something about the style is really unique. I think the characters may be roughly rotoscoped from actors, I can't quite put my finger on it.