EU Referendum and Afterwards

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

Will Scotland vote to leave the UK before the General Election of 2020?

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 17

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Re: POLL: The EU Referendum

Postby NeglectedField » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Loads of people making rash decisions threatening to move to such and such country or that they (or their friend(s)/partner) will be deported. Can people not just give it a week or a few months for the dust to settle first?

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:53 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i28UEoLXVFQ

Before I voted I felt 70% sure about leaving being the right thing. But the shock of the result has left me with quite mixed feelings, down to about 60% sure now. If only they had been more flexible and let us have full or stronger control of movement and we could still be in, benefitting each other. But nope. At least we made Marine happy.

I don't think a Scoxit is a foregone conclusion, and the future of the whole EU is by no means guaranteed. If France goes it will lose its raison d'être.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:12 pm

I guess when we properly leave it will put bands off touring here because of all the extra red tape to get in.
I see the bad moon arising.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:37 pm

NeglectedField wrote:Loads of people making rash decisions threatening to move to such and such country or that they (or their friend(s)/partner) will be deported. Can people not just give it a week or a few months for the dust to settle first?

Or better yet- do a little research and find out they're getting scared over nothing?

Ghost wrote:I guess when we properly leave it will put bands off touring here because of all the extra red tape to get in.

Case in point. Worst situation they'll need the same work permits that non-EU bands currently need. They're a minor pain in the hole, but neither bureaucratically nor financially prohibitive for even the smallest of touring bands.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:48 pm

Fair enough. Was just using my job of sending goods to different countries and how much extra paperwork I have to do when shipping to a non eu country. This leave vote will slow down movement of goods due to the extra hassle. I guess bands travel with their equipment so it's different.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:09 pm

Ghost wrote:I guess when we properly leave it will put bands off touring here because of all the extra red tape to get in.

Hasn't stopped non-EU bands playing.

Come to think of it, wonder if UK festivals will benefit? Harder for people to pop over to the continent now (not saying that's a good thing).

Gandalf the Red wrote:
houston4044 wrote:The irony realizing that when people argue this forum isn't representative of the festival in general only have to point to the poll taken here

If you reason that quite a lot of people on here are under thirty with a few oldies like me then I think that it's quite representative of the country as a whole.

A lot of youngsters were very supportive of the EU as that's all they've ever known but a lot of oldies remember what it was like pre 1990s before the EU started to grow in power.

Really? I thought it was the other way round and most people on here were older. Learn something new everyday.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:31 pm

Yeah except those non eu bands tour mainland Europe where the large audiences are and add the UK bit on. They may now have to apply to play the eu and the UK. Instead of just the eu like they do now. I'm sure it's not a big deal though.

The result makes it look like the sun and the daily mail still run the country after all these years. The daily mail are saying we should bring back full energy light bulbs. Looks like saving the environment is a bad eu idea to some ha ha.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:37 pm

If there is money to be made bands will tour, I know some bands tour at a loss to grow audiences in some places but that's more to do with lack of audience base then ease of travel.

Tabloids are mental, all the leave voters I know still want a relationship with Europe just not in the EU not complete isolation like the Mail are suggesting

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:43 pm

Ghost wrote:Yeah except those non eu bands tour mainland Europe where the large audiences are and add the UK bit on. They may now have to apply to play the eu and the UK. Instead of just the eu like they do now. I'm sure it's not a big deal though

Nope, the present situation is that they do need a work permit for the UK and none at all for the EU. So this changes literally nothing in that respect. Worst case scenario is EU bands will need the same permits now, but it's unlikely.

The most surreal fallout story of the day is a rush on Irish passport applications in Protestant areas. I've been telling people all day not to worry about passports as it's 99% certain they'll still be in the EEA channel at the airport same as Icelandic, Norwegian and Swiss folk, but I don't have the heart to anymore. Seeing the false British consciousness of my Protestant friends and neighbours fall apart is too much fun to stop.
Upcoming Gigs

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:39 am

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:I've been telling people all day not to worry about passports as it's 99% certain they'll still be in the EEA channel at the airport

So what's your view on the Northern Ireland border situation? I've had several people tell me that Ireland will now join Shengen, we'll soon have armed checkpoints at the border crossings, potentially invalidating the Good Friday Agreement, and it will all descend into chaos. Personally, I'd have thought not. The Common Travel Area existed before the EEC (and later EU), and I see no reason why it shouldn't continue afterwards. While there may be some minor changes, I don't see anything too onerous being introduced, and I expect relatively hassle free travel between north and south to continue.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:39 am

Ghost wrote:Yeah except those non eu bands tour mainland Europe where the large audiences are and add the UK bit on. They may now have to apply to play the eu and the UK. Instead of just the eu like they do now. I'm sure it's not a big deal though.

The result makes it look like the sun and the daily mail still run the country after all these years. The daily mail are saying we should bring back full energy light bulbs. Looks like saving the environment is a bad eu idea to some ha ha.

It'll be the same as it was before the 1990s. Didn't have that many problems seeing European bands back then.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:06 am

Oh wow, I hope this independent London petition gets some serious traction. :lol:
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jun 25, 2016 11:39 am

The way the Europeans are all going "GO NOW" to Britain just shows the contempt they actually have for us. If they really wanted us to stay then they would've tried harder to convince us to stay.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:11 pm

Tet wrote:
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:I've been telling people all day not to worry about passports as it's 99% certain they'll still be in the EEA channel at the airport

So what's your view on the Northern Ireland border situation? I've had several people tell me that Ireland will now join Shengen, we'll soon have armed checkpoints at the border crossings, potentially invalidating the Good Friday Agreement, and it will all descend into chaos. Personally, I'd have thought not. The Common Travel Area existed before the EEC (and later EU), and I see no reason why it shouldn't continue afterwards. While there may be some minor changes, I don't see anything too onerous being introduced, and I expect relatively hassle free travel between north and south to continue.

Yep, I've been having to tell people that too about the Common Travel Area. Contrary to popular belief the border was never officially closed during The Troubles- there was never any legal recourse for policing it (or literally demolishing the road crossing outside Garrison in Fermanagh.) And unless the UK leaves the common market there's no reason why it should become any harder to cross than the Sweden/Norway or France/Switzerland border i.e. no checkpoints.

The only threat to the GFA would be rescinding membership to the ECHR, though if that ever does become a serious proposal in the cabinet I imagine the Northern Ireland Minister would strongly oppose. Honestly though, the GFA is 18 years old now and does need a re-tweek. Mandatory power sharing and petitions of concern in the Stormont chamber badly need to be reconsidered.

As for Sinn Feín's border poll I doubt it will happen. And if it does believe it or not I would actually vote against re-unification! Unless there is a successful referendum to also leave the EU down south first. A 32 county state wouldn't be the Irish Republic I aspire to as long as it is still ruled from Brussels.
Upcoming Gigs

shimrod
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby shimrod » Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:58 pm

I do remember a couple of years ago i was looking forward to seeing Arkona (i think it might have been Turisas they were supposed to be supporting, but not sure) but they couldn't make it because they were barred from entering the UK because of not having the correct visas, work permits or whatever. This wouldn't happen if they were from the EU. Think it was a cock up with the promoters, though. Plenty of non EU bands don't have a problem.