Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:27 pm

Pretty much what it says on the tin... Wacken have banned bags other than belt bags and foldable water bottles and such, and BOA seem to be at least considering it.

Just wondered what your guys' thoughts are on it? For me, I completely get it for Wacken especially with everything that's been happening in Germany recently.

Logic says the arena is most likely for an attack, so banning bags makes sense. Obviously this is gonna be a pain in the arse for punters, so as long as there's proper measures to make sure it isn't too much of an issue, I don't see the problem.

Your guys' thoughts?

"Dear Metalheads,
In the light of current events, the festival operators and the safety authorities have decided to ban all backpacks and bags from the event area, due to security concerns. This includes also the Full Metal Bags.

Belt bags and the known foldable water bottle from the Full Metal Bag are still allowed."

BOA statement: "At Bloodstock we want to make sure that everyone's safe and secure. So, when incidents like those in France and Germany take place, we review our plans with the various people involved in these elements of the festival.

"We won't comment on any specific changes or arrangements at this time, but everyone should be assured it's something we monitor closely."

Slev
Paster of Muppets

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Slev » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:31 pm

If yhen want to implement a seperate queue for bags, etc, and search them, that's reasonable. If yiou want to take your bag, join the slower queue.

An outright ban gets into what we used to call "letting the terrorists win", that is, where you significantly change what you do as a result of terrorism.

It's the same reason I object to airport body scanners, expanded police powers, the snooper's charter, etc, etc.

onona
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby onona » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:36 pm

Slev wrote:If yhen want to implement a seperate queue for bags, etc, and search them, that's reasonable. If yiou want to take your bag, join the slower queue.

An outright ban gets into what we used to call "letting the terrorists win", that is, where you significantly change what you do as a result of terrorism.

It's the same reason I object to airport body scanners, expanded police powers, the snooper's charter, etc, etc.

Totally agree with this. To totally ban bags is way too heavy-handed.

Having said that, I never had a problem with things like body scanners myself, as they're not inconvenient and I don't really give a shit if some random member of security staff can see the outline of my boobs. Or all my piercings. But restricting the use of bags has a demonstrably negative effect on the punter, and as such, I'd be rather dismayed if it came into force.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:39 pm

Slev wrote:If yhen want to implement a seperate queue for bags, etc, and search them, that's reasonable. If yiou want to take your bag, join the slower queue.

True, I hadn't really considered that. Something like this could probably be implemented at BOA, but I don't know if a festival as large as Wacken could implement it. (From what I've heard, I've never been sadly.)

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:44 pm

Wacken has always had police walking around with guns. :lol:

To be honest you don't really see that many people with huge bags in the arena anyway. So a search of anyone taking large bags in would be adequate.

Better still search those that look like terrorists, especially the ones with beards wearing camouflage. :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

onona
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby onona » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:09 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Wacken has always had police walking around with guns. :lol:

Really? I've never been to Wacken myself. To be honest, I actually feel more nervous when I see armed patrols than I ordinarily would. Go figure.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:22 pm

Just look at the first picture on here from last year. Standard issue sidearms. I would expect them to have much more serious firepower elsewhere on site.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/ ... -pukkelpop
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:29 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I would expect them to have much more serious firepower elsewhere on site.

Nah that's just Sabaton with a tank made of mdf.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:33 pm

Slev wrote:An outright ban gets into what we used to call "letting the terrorists win", that is, where you significantly change what you do as a result of terrorism.

Particularly when it doesn't even solve the problem. The recent festival bomber in Germany was denied entry to the festival even without changes in procedure, so he blew himself up outside the entrance.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:35 pm

We're not living in Germany, we don't know the feeling of seeing your country hit by multiple attacks in one week. Maybe this is a very welcome announcement to the punters who just want to feel safe and have fun. To us it seems overkill, and like they're 'letting the terrorists win', but to them, I imagine it's very comforting to know no-one is getting into dense crowds with anything strapped to them.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Tue Aug 02, 2016 4:42 pm

Fjar speaks sense. I'm happily going to BOA because I know they do bag searches. Pride festival in Malmö next week though? Fuck that, it'd be the typical place for something to go to hell.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:08 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Better still search those that look like terrorists, especially the ones with beards wearing camouflage. :P

You'll still be fine, just rub a bit of mud on your face and they'll be too scared to search for fear of being labelled racist :lol:
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:55 pm

Fjar wrote:We're not living in Germany, we don't know the feeling of seeing your country hit by multiple attacks in one week. Maybe this is a very welcome announcement to the punters who just want to feel safe and have fun. To us it seems overkill, and like they're 'letting the terrorists win', but to them, I imagine it's very comforting to know no-one is getting into dense crowds with anything strapped to them.

I may not live in Germany but I've seen my country hit by multiple attacks over the years. Often in the same week. Or do people forget that the IRA were trying to blow things up not that long ago? We took them vastly most seriously than the quite frankly amateurish Muslim extremists. I doubt the Taleban, ISIS or whatever have the capabilities to blow up half of Manchester like the IRA did in 1996. That's only 20 years ago. They could have killed thousands of people if they really wanted to. Same in Warrington, Aintree, Canary Wharf and other places. That was scary.

One bunch of extremists has just been replaced by another bunch of extremists. It'll probably be somebody else after this has finished.

Do you stop what you are doing? No. But you take security and personal safety a little bit more seriously. If that means bag searches and a slight delay then so be it. We didn't even have bins in the street around here for years because they were scared someone would put a bomb in it. Probably why everyone of a certain age throws their litter on the floor. :lol:

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:16 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Better still search those that look like terrorists, especially the ones with beards wearing camouflage. :P

You'll still be fine, just rub a bit of mud on your face and they'll be too scared to search for fear of being labelled racist :lol:

Good idea for the fancy dress. I'll be blacking up then. :eyes:

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:00 pm

The problem with checking bags that I've encountered is that most places normally under staff these procedures which leads to long waits and the feeling that they aren't doing a good check, more a 2 second glance which doesn't help alleviate any nerves someone may have. If BOA staff this right then I'm yes I'd be willing to go along with it however I don't have much hope of that (not because it's BOA but because everyone fails to).