Tech help reqd Optical to analogue sound for TV

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
ribbons69
Denim Demon

Tech help reqd Optical to analogue sound for TV

Postby ribbons69 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:48 am

Hello all,recently I had to replace my old Toshiba tv with a new Panasonic Viera. It isn't great and the sound is really poor. However I did have a soundbar through the old tv. The new tv doesn't have analogue output (red and white conectors) only optical,so I bought an adaptor,optical to analogue and it worked fine. For one day. Yesterday it stopped working. So in the sound menu I turned the output of the TV to AVL. This fixed it. For one day. Now nothing works. Is this an issue with turning the tv off? The soundbar is working,it connects to my phone via bluetooth with no problem.
I have tried turning both the tv and soundbar off at the power to no avail.
Can anyone help?
Tom G Warrior wrote:I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt,

we fall to rise

Jim
Denim Demon

Re: Tech help reqd Optical to analogue sound for TV

Postby Jim » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:38 pm

My bet is the adapter. Digital to Analogue requires a microprocessor, rather than just a simple signal circuit, so I think they could be prone to failure. Was it pricey? Can you get it replaced easily?
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

ribbons69
Denim Demon

Postby ribbons69 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:55 pm

Jim wrote:My bet is the adapter. Digital to Analogue requires a microprocessor, rather than just a simple signal circuit, so I think they could be prone to failure. Was it pricey? Can you get it replaced easily?

It was one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Tom G Warrior wrote:I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt,

we fall to rise

ribbons69
Denim Demon

Postby ribbons69 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:39 am

Had a friend around yesterday to look at it,and the problem seems to be how the connector is powered. It runs off a USB plugged into the back of the TV,a separate connection to optical out. Unplugging then reconnecting the usb while the TV is turned on seems to reset it,and the soundbar then works fine. Unfortunately once you turn the TV off you have to repeat the process every time. Hardly ideal but at least it works.

we fall to rise