Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Killing_time
Leather Rebel

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Killing_time » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:09 pm

I buy my games online as you can always get them cheaper than your high street retailer(Like everything else)

I don't download games for my consoles as i prefer a physical copy

I like it when there's a limited edition of a game but not when there's like 6 different special editions(yeah Watch_Dogs i'm looking at you)

I hate all this DLC business it should all be in the game as soon as it's available to buy

There you go pal now i'm gonna go play some Shadow Of Mordor :)

Death to Power Pop!! It should go down with the sinking ship that is Download festival.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:21 pm

What's the most common way you guys buy games (in particular, new releases)? Do you order them online, buy them in-store or download them from the console's online store?

I pretty much solely download. I've got good speeds, and you'll always manage to get it cheaper as a digital copy.

Also, does it vary depending on what console you're using? Would you be more willing to download on something like a 3DS or Vita than you would on a console?

Gets a bit different on consoles because there's no Steam or Keysites for my PS3, so it usually works out cheaper to buy it as a physical copy. However even then I'll order it online. The prices are higher in an actual store, and I have to go out my way to get it rather than having it through my letterbox the day after (Amazon prime aw yus)

Do limited edition / fancy pre-order retail editions matter to you guys?

Usually no. The fancy Blizzard game pre-orders I like because you get little in-game things for every game (Starcraft/WoW/Diablo 3/Hearthstone). Again though, digital copies. I'm not going into a store for a plastic bust of your main character.

Does pre-order exclusive DLC matter to you?

Yes. I like the additions they make (See above), but it also seems like a "Fuck you" from the developer. The things are in the game, we just don't want to give them to you unless you jump through hoops. I'm generally against the idea of a lot of DLC.

Good DLC: Fallout New Vegas. New area, shit load of new items, new story editions

Bad DLC: A lot of what we see. £20 so you can get a new gun colour.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:31 pm

Guys, thanks - really appreciated. Helpful to get a few opinions. If anyone else echoes those thoughts or thinks otherwise, do please let me know!

I've also one other question - does anyone here own a PS Vita? And if so, how often do you use it and what do you use it for? Do you play Vita games or has it just become a PS4 remote play device etc.? Cheers!

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:40 pm

Don't own a vita, and only know one guy that does.

He uses it to play PS1 games on emulator.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:53 pm

Tbf, I'm tempted to pick up a Vita basically just so I can play PS1 games on it (now that the PS Store has shut down on the PSP). That and Persona 4.

JamieH
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby JamieH » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:58 pm

One of the things that baffled me about the Vita is that providing you have a good enough internet connection you can stream games from your PS4 to your Vita. Not like a shitty mobile version, but the full game.

Though tbf I heard about this on the Rooster Teeth podcast and they are based in Austin who have 1TB internet connections now, but still the fact that you can have your PS4 on in your house and stream Destiny in this example to a Vita that is on the other side of the city seems crazy to me.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:13 pm

• What's the most common way you guys buy games (in particular, new releases)? Do you order them online, buy them in-store or download them from the console's online store?
Steam for PC (Linux) games, GAME and CEX for Wii U/3DS games.

• Also, does it vary depending on what console you're using? Would you be more willing to download on something like a 3DS or Vita than you would on a console?
For my consoles, I buy physical games. I have a few digital games on my 3DS, but most (90%) of them are from the 3DS Ambassador Program.

• Do limited edition / fancy pre-order retail editions matter to you guys?
Nope. I have fancy editions of Spore, Guild Wars: Nightfall, and Dishonored, but mostly I don't give a shit.

• Does pre-order exclusive DLC matter to you?
Pre-order DLC should die a painful death.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:22 pm

I've been Shadows of Mordor. This game is too fucking fun.

I've done barely any main missions, just running around fighting orcs and uruks and showing them what's what.

There feels a small void in my soul when I finally managed to put down the Kin Slayer. He was the first captain to kill me and has been the bane of my life for a while.

Said void has been swiftly filled by 2 more captains who are absolute cunts to kill.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:06 pm

i like physical copies of games so 95% of what i buy is physical copies. only time i buy digital games is the smaller digital only games, an example being something like minecraft or halo spartan assault. or if a game is on sale, if its less than £5 i will buy digital games on my 360.

It does vary what console im using, yes. most of my digital games are on 360 i do have a few on my xbox one though, none on my PS4. as time goes and and prices go down i may buy more but the fact that i have to put a minimum of £5 in my PSN wallet even if im spending 50p does put me off.

Limited editons are fine but i never buy a limited edition for a new franchise. for a series i know and love, i will usually at least consider it. i will splash out for stuff like dragon age or a wwe game, but for most games i dont bother.

Im totally indifferent to pre-order DLC in all honesty. I only pre-order games if they're likely to sell out, so some DLC can be a nice bonus but its never interesting enough to make me want to pre-order. you can get a weapon skin or a new car or some crap, i can take it or leave it.

and this will now become quite a long post because im now posting what i came in here for.
shadow of mordor is pretty great so far, had a run in with a captain and ended up running away cause he was pretty tough, then after learning his weaknesses i went pack and smashed him. not played a lot, maybe 2 hours, but enjoying it so far.
forza horizon 2, on the other hand, i have played a lot. it is just as good as i expected. its the perfect mix between simulation racing and arcadey open world fun. i have not been using fast travel even though the map is fairly big, simply because its fun to just drive. the racing is good, the drivatar system from forza 5 is in the xbox one version (think its just standard AI on 360) and its improved. online free roam is a nice addition and the road trips can be fun. but mostly i have just been driving about. i have a nice collection of cars now, ranging from a toyota supra to an old mustang to a hennessy venom GT (which is very hard to drive but once you get the hang of it, you can get to speeds that just would not be safe. think i topped it out pushing 270mph)

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:07 am

Shadow of Mordor is pretty fun. But good fuck, trying to get to mission locations without getting hammered by someone is a pain in the ass. :lol:

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:42 am

2 days before the WoD pre-patch comes out, I'm getting the alt itch on WoW.

There'll be a bunch of shit to do in the new patch, but I'm still like "I should make a new paladin, or a death knight, ooooh I've got that level 54 druid I could go back to"

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:21 pm

I quit WoW a month ago...they're already suckering me back in with Warlords.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

JamieH
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby JamieH » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:38 pm

I started playing WoW again last month with Lis' guild, had to start a new character cause I hadn't played since the first expansion and it's changed so much I had no idea how to play my druid. Leveled a warlock to 90, did the Timless Isle malarkey and all the LFR then got very bored cause I had no idea what to do after that.

But I can't play atm cause I ran out of time on my account. Might get WoD when it's out if I have a few pennies though.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:01 pm

Was playing Borderlands 2 this weekend. Very fun game. I'm playing as a sniper, which is all well and good until you're forced into CQC.

The Pre-Sequel has Linux support from the word go, so I'll be picking that up when if drops on Friday. :D
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:05 pm

Yeah, end of expansion stuff is a bit weird. I started playing at the beginning of MoP, dropped out, and then picked it up again towards the end.

I kinda missed all the guild progression stuff, so I've just been keeping myself entertained with old raid instances and dailies and grinding out the legendary quest. Planning to keep on and try and find a guild for WoD and do the raids as they come out.