HRH Metal 2018

Share tour news and event information in here.

HRH Metal 2018

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:25 am

Not as good as this years, quite a lot i've not heard of, pretty poor on first looks to me
houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: HRH Metal 2018

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:45 am

Would happily watch Grave Digger but that's it. Alestorm are a weak af choice for a headliner and once you get past the 2nd line of bands it's just a bunch of nobodies.
bloodofthekings
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:49 am

It's only the first announcement. There are loads of bands to be added yet.

But complaining about the line up when it costs less than £20 is a bit harsh. You pay about that much just to see shite like Evil Scarecrow nowadays.

I also don't understand how any one on this forum isn't familiar with the vast majority of those bands seeing as nearly every single one of them has either played BOA previously or are due to play this year.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:15 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:It's only the first announcement. There are loads of bands to be added yet.

But complaining about the line up when it costs less than £20 is a bit harsh. You pay about that much just to see shite like Evil Scarecrow nowadays.

I also don't understand how any one on this forum isn't familiar with the vast majority of those bands seeing as nearly every single one of them has either played BOA previously or are due to play this year.

I get it's the first announcement and it is cheap, but it's still poor value to me due to the amount of bands I'd watch from what has been announced so far. Compared to the first announcement last year there are a lot less bands that interest me.
houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:35 pm

There's already a lot more for me. Especially on the first day last year when I watched about two bands and sodded of to the pub and was back in the hotel watching MOTD as it was mostly 'core bands and the likes of Senser and Skindred.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:56 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I also don't understand how any one on this forum isn't familiar with the vast majority of those bands seeing as nearly every single one of them has either played BOA previously or are due to play this year.

I've been to BOA every year since 2010 and after Power Quest I don't have a clue who any of those bands are aside from being aware that Fury are a thrash band and seeing Attica Rage's name on nearly every HRH bill but they've always been on about 2am so I've never bothered with them. I presume if most of those bands have played (or are due to play) BOA then it has been either on the Sophie stage or New Blood stage. Both of which I rarely bother with.
bloodofthekings
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:06 pm

I'm not going to cast aspersions, but why not try them before ruling them out? :?

Seems a bit daft to ignore hundreds of bands just because you haven't heard of them. You never know, your favourite new band could be lurking somewhere in there.

Not an Iron Maiden fan by any chance? :lol:
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby ribbons69 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:24 pm

I've just bought my ticket. Fifteen quid. So far I'll watch Alestorm,GraveDigger,PowerQuest,Dakesis and Memorium.

Fifteen quid.

edit;
And Monument if they're the same band that supported Sanctuary a couple of years ago.I imagine that some of the undercard might be Power Metal as well so I'll have a listen.
Tom G Warrior wrote:I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt,

we fall to rise
ribbons69
Denim Demon

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I'm not going to cast aspersions, but why not try them before ruling them out? :?

Seems a bit daft to ignore hundreds of bands just because you haven't heard of them. You never know, your favourite new band could be lurking somewhere in there.

That wasn't my point - I wasn't saying that just because I hadn't heard of them meant they were automatically rubbish. What I'm saying is that for a mini-festival such as this, there should be more balance between established names and bands that you could see down the local boozer for less than the price of a pint. Out of 40 announced bands, having 6 'names' and 34 'unheard-ofs' is quite the imbalance.

Yes, ok the ticket price is very cheap and if I lived in the Birmingham area then I'd probably be happy to pay for a weekend ticket, only watch a few bands and still feel like I'd gotten value for money. But given that HRH events often rely on people travelling to them then I struggle to see how this line-up would entice people to travel for it.

As for checking out bands online in advance, yes of course that's part of many festival announcements. Be that Bloodstock, Download, wherever. But when there's so many in comparison to the total amount of bands playing - going to watch bands at a festival shouldn't involve a research project beforehand.
bloodofthekings
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Soze » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:10 pm

Yeah, the ticket price is a bargain and hard to quibble about. I daresay Alestorm alone cost close to twenty quid nowadays. But for me to travel to Birmingham and stay a couple nights in a B&B this isn't really offering enough, particularly compared to last year.
Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:55 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:I'm not going to cast aspersions, but why not try them before ruling them out? :?

That wasn't my point - I wasn't saying that just because I hadn't heard of them meant they were automatically rubbish. What I'm saying is that for a mini-festival such as this, there should be more balance between established names and bands that you could see down the local boozer for less than the price of a pint. Out of 40 announced bands, having 6 'names' and 34 'unheard-ofs' is quite the imbalance.

Yes, ok the ticket price is very cheap and if I lived in the Birmingham area then I'd probably be happy to pay for a weekend ticket, only watch a few bands and still feel like I'd gotten value for money. But given that HRH events often rely on people travelling to them then I struggle to see how this line-up would entice people to travel for it.

As for checking out bands online in advance, yes of course that's part of many festival announcements. Be that Bloodstock, Download, wherever. But when there's so many in comparison to the total amount of bands playing - going to watch bands at a festival shouldn't involve a research project beforehand.

But there isn't 6 name bands and 34 unknowns. I reckon that most attendees will know many of those bands. I've personally seen 80% of that line up previously and own albums or demos from half of them.

And yes people will travel to this. I'm coming down for it with a bunch of others and there is one band on that line up that I would even travel to Europe to see.

No wonder Heavy Metal is dying when people can't be bothered to check out new bands and just listen to the same, familiar bands.
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby gazsetsfire » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:05 pm

Do we think thats Memoriam that are playing as opposed to memorium?

I;d go for them and Grave Digger alone
gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby houston4044 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:02 pm

I know a few of the bands on the bill and I either don't like them or don't think they're worth the money. Add in all the other expenses then this is really going to struggle to be value for money for me. It's early days yes, but I'll be surprised if the rest of the bands to come can change my mind on this; still, I'll keep my mind open when the next batch of bands are released.

At the moment (admittedly I haven't listened to every band on the bill yet) I would only see Incinery, Fury, Monument, Memoriam (if it's the death metal band) and Evil Scarecrow.
houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:37 pm

gazsetsfire wrote:Do we think thats Memoriam that are playing as opposed to memorium?

I;d go for them and Grave Digger alone

I expect it's a typo. I don't think Memorium (Sweden) have been going for donkeys years and the only British band of that name I know of won't be anywhere near the top of this.
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:28 am

Plenty there for me: Grave Digger, Power Quest, Fury, Dakesis, Skarthia, Collibus, The Mighty Wraith, Metaprism, Monument.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...
Tet
Denim Demon

Next

Return to Gigs, tours and festivals