Bands missed, Reformations, etc

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 3836
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby houston4044 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:13 am

Ghost wrote:Aaww you're just a baby. Didn't realise you were so young.


I'm part of that lucky generation that got into metal when Nu Metal was all the rage... Alien Ant Farm for BOA :lol:

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:58 pm
Location: Slough

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby jwh20 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:14 am

1992 myself, but because dad has been into metal since the late 70's I managed to avoid all that XD

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 3836
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby houston4044 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:28 am

jwh20 wrote:1992 myself, but because dad has been into metal since the late 70's I managed to avoid all that XD


We have it great, don't let them get to you. While they got to see all the classic 70's, 80's and 90's bands start up, in their prime, break up and reform; all the while have a vibrant music industry and bands play extended UK tours as standards at dirt cheap prices. We'll live long enough to see King 810 release their 15th album and get into the rock and roll hall of fame.... the future's bright...

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers
Posts: 835
Joined: Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:58 pm
Location: Slough

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby jwh20 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:54 am

I just meant that all the numetal and metalcore completely passed me by.

I can listen to all the bands from the 70s,80s,90s,00s and 10s so not any problem as far as I'm concerned.

That being said I'll never see Bowie :(

User avatar
gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 520
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am
Location: Ipswich

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby gavdann » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:42 pm

I saw him with Tin Machine but never a proper solo set. I went to an Earl Slick with all stars band gig a few years ago. It was announced before but played just after Bowies death. They played Station to Station and other Bowie greats. That was an amazing night.

User avatar
varangian
Warrior of Metal
Posts: 148
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:03 am

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby varangian » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:00 pm

There is a generation who spent their time being instructed that Dio, Scorpions and Accept were the pinnacle of Bad Metal
Much of this is due to the "Metal " Press at the time
Over the years Ive seen Phil Collins, Kate Bush, Michael Jackson, Prince,Then Jericho, Eminem among the artists we have to listen to because K/MH etc said we had to

Sure some forms of metal go out of vogue, but poor Dio`s stock couldn't have got much lower in the mags until he appeared in some trendy Jack Black flick. I do wonder how many of the people who called him crap over that period now sing his and the Scorpions praises?

Be your own person I guess is the biggest lesson in this, I certainly dont like PD among others but i`d never say to someone you cannot listen to them

User avatar
metaldinosaur
Slayer of Wimps/Posers
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:30 pm

varangian wrote:There is a generation who spent their time being instructed that Dio, Scorpions and Accept were the pinnacle of Bad Metal
Much of this is due to the "Metal " Press at the time
Over the years Ive seen Phil Collins, Kate Bush, Michael Jackson, Prince,Then Jericho, Eminem among the artists we have to listen to because K/MH etc said we had to

Sure some forms of metal go out of vogue, but poor Dio`s stock couldn't have got much lower in the mags until he appeared in some trendy Jack Black flick. I do wonder how many of the people who called him crap over that period now sing his and the Scorpions praises?

Be your own person I guess is the biggest lesson in this, I certainly dont like PD among others but i`d never say to someone you cannot listen to them


I remember the press laying into Dio when I was a kid, it probably stopped me getting into him for a few years, which is pretty shit.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

User avatar
metaldinosaur
Slayer of Wimps/Posers
Posts: 993
Joined: Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:56 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:46 pm

However, I never noticed any hate for Scorpions; not much love either, but I didn't see any unjust bashing.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 4874
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:25 pm

If you look at the early issues of Kerrang! it was all about the music. There were articles about equipment, tours and bands being in recording studios. The interviews were interesting.

Then it turned into articles about rumours, drugs and fashion. Daft articles about groupies and ridiculing bands because of what they looked like. The Scorpions and Dio got it more than most with comments about receding hairlines. If you weren't "noisy" or "pop" then you got ignored or ridiculed. All the middle ground virtually disappeared overnight. Then it went "alternative", if you didn't have "funky" beats like FNM or RHCP then you were old fashioned dinosaurs. Long hair? Then you were some sort of brainless troglodyte.

Funny that half the writers were a bunch of student nerds who didn't even like the music. But got the job because they knew someone in the business. I remember seeing one former writer writing a review of a band whilst in the bar, before the band had actually played. His explanation was it saves time and he'll be drunk later...
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby kurrupo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:40 am

metaldinosaur wrote:I remember the press laying into Dio when I was a kid, it probably stopped me getting into him for a few years, which is pretty shit.


I wasn't even aware that Dio was ever the source of ridicule. I always thought that he was someone that everyone respected in the industry. That's possibly due to that when I was getting into metal in early 2000s, magazines had stopped even mentioning classic rock/metal bands and were all focused on the nu and then the emo crap. Plus my parents were massive Dio fans and took me to see him multiple times when I was a youngster so I only ever remember positive things regarding him

User avatar
houston4044
Denim Demon
Posts: 3836
Joined: Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:58 pm

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby houston4044 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:52 pm

kurrupo wrote:I wasn't even aware that Dio was ever the source of ridicule. I always thought that he was someone that everyone respected in the industry.


Wasn't just him, Dickinson and Halford were also seen as painfully unpopular at the time. I remember seeing an short on Scuzz or Kerrang in the early 00's that was basically "Holy Diver then gtfo". Ironically it was only when all 3 of those lot joined their prior bands did they suddenly get positive praise in the mags; when suddenly they realized they would shift more issues, funny that :P

kurrupo
Consort of the Beast
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:09 pm

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby kurrupo » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:12 pm

Wow, that's unbelievable. No wonder a lot of that generation of metal fans have low opinions of anything released before 1995!

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 4874
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:22 pm

It was more the UK than anything and was between 1988 and 2000.

Telling that many Metal bands missed the UK off their European tours during that period including British ones such as Saxon. It was a great time for underground bands though as they seemed to attract a better class of fan who was more interested in the music than being trendy.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 4874
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:28 pm

Getting back to the original question I reckon it must be Rush.

I never got into them back in the day, but by the time I did start liking them they only played large arenas and weren't exactly cheap for ticket prices.

But I believe that's it now and they've finished for good.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
someone else
Denim Demon
Posts: 5859
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Chester, UK
Contact:

Re: Bands missed, Reformations, etc

Postby someone else » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:52 pm

kurrupo wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:I remember the press laying into Dio when I was a kid, it probably stopped me getting into him for a few years, which is pretty shit.


I wasn't even aware that Dio was ever the source of ridicule. I always thought that he was someone that everyone respected in the industry. That's possibly due to that when I was getting into metal in early 2000s, magazines had stopped even mentioning classic rock/metal bands and were all focused on the nu and then the emo crap. Plus my parents were massive Dio fans and took me to see him multiple times when I was a youngster so I only ever remember positive things regarding him


No - early 90s and the boot got stuck in - taking the piss out of being short, dragon stage props etc - wasn't helped that he was making records like Angry Machines. When Dog Eat Dog ('the future' remember..) were singing the praises of Ronnie they were laughed at. Saxon and The Scorpions got it the neck for being 'gumby metal' - being European was never a selling point back then, being from Yorkshire, Biffs false teeth, spray on trousers, wigs, human pyramids were all people saw, and the tide was turning against Maiden from Prayer For Dying onwards - its laughable now that any band that had been releasing records for 10 years were considered Grandads.

In fairness, Metal Hammer kept a lot of the older writers who could review older bands on their own terms, but there was no outlet for older rock fans who'd grown out of the trends really until Classic Rock came out in the late 90s.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11