coronavirus and its effects on the economy of Metal

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Re: coronavirus and its effects on the economy of Metal

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Mar 14, 2020 6:32 pm

I don't really need any more t-shirts that I'm not going to wear though. I'm more into buying small accessories now, like fridge magnets and wristbands. I wanted to get a Testament wristband last weekend in Manchester but the march stall was cash only. Who the hell carries cash nowadays?

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:30 pm

Normal people who don't worry about a bit of a cold...
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:36 pm

Nice of you to chime in Gandalf the Conspiracy Theorist!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:47 pm

And now we're very close to a full lockdown because of dickheads who didn't follow the advice and ignorant people who have been dismissing this as 'a bit of a cold'.

Thanks to these people, life could very well become a lot more unpleasant very soon. I really do wonder how much further the government has to go before they see how wrong they've been.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:07 pm

I wonder if Gary holt and Will Carroll consider it to be a bit of a cold.
I see the bad moon arising.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:16 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:And now we're very close to a full lockdown because of dickheads who didn't follow the advice and ignorant people who have been dismissing this as 'a bit of a cold'.

Thanks to these people, life could very well become a lot more unpleasant very soon. I really do wonder how much further the government has to go before they see how wrong they've been.

A pub in Greenock didn't close down and was open yesterday. A mass brawl was filmed outside the pub: https://twitter.com/CoohakerWatson/stat ... 4004270089

A photographer from The Scottish Sun was in the pub taking group photos of idiots clearly not socially distancing themselves from each other and he was then taking photos of the fight. That's a damn nice car outside the pub though, particularly for Greenock!

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:47 am

Chuck Billy's confirmed positive now too.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:23 am

Along with his wife and some of Testament's road crew. They must have spread that all over Europe without even knowing where they contracted it.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:52 pm

Black Wizard wrote:I don't really need any more t-shirts that I'm not going to wear though. I'm more into buying small accessories now, like fridge magnets and wristbands. I wanted to get a Testament wristband last weekend in Manchester but the march stall was cash only. Who the hell carries cash nowadays?

Who has a nearby atm nowadays anyway :lol: think my nearest one is about 5 mile away. Got me a Ziltoid hand puppet to support ol' Devin and to break the tedium a bit.

bloodofthekings wrote:And now we're very close to a full lockdown because of dickheads who didn't follow the advice and ignorant people who have been dismissing this as 'a bit of a cold'.

To be honest, I'd rather they just come flat out either way than publicly dither on it. The amount of people who I know took the rumoured pub closures to mean "one more night out before we can't" had the effect of bringing more people out rather than deterring them.

I just hope Brexit gets delayed for a bit, last thing we need to do is try to juggle two mammoth tasks when we don't need to; why bring upon ourselves custom checks on on top of pandemic/panic buying?

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:29 pm

The Bloodstock Forum's favourite Hardcore band Hatebreed have postponed their new album indefinitely because it's impossible for the CDs and vinyls to be pressed since all the factories in North America and Europe are shutting down, plus retailers are closed too. Obviously most music is consumed digitally now so it will still be possible for albums to be made available on Spotify if they're already recorded and mixed, but I am worried that the next few months could kill off physical music for good. Hopefully bands will still be able to release albums over the coming months, even it is only digital, as I'm going to be really bored stuck at home.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:32 pm

I’m spending the downtime listening to queen's back catalogue. I've always been a fan but only really listened to their greatest hits because quite frankly they have too many albums. I do have A kind of magic on tape somewhere. Anyway their debut is fantastic, such a clever diverse album.
I see the bad moon arising.

SlaytanicBacon
Definitely Not Nu

Postby SlaytanicBacon » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:26 pm

I can't see this pandemic going away anytime soon and we may be in this boat for several months+. This whole thing has already done some damage to the live scene and will continue to do so and now starting to impact festivals - Download have just announced their cancellation so it's only a matter of time before it affects later festivals.

Black Wizard wrote:Hopefully bands will still be able to release albums over the coming months, even it is only digital, as I'm going to be really bored stuck at home.

Paradise Lost took the decision to still release their album in May, despite Nuclear Blast trying to push it back, not sure for physical copies though. If anything this is the perfect time to release music, even if digital only and physical CD's may just have to wait until things reopen.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:41 am

Black Wizard wrote:The Bloodstock Forum's favourite Hardcore band Hatebreed have postponed their new album indefinitely because it's impossible for the CDs and vinyls to be pressed since all the factories in North America and Europe are shutting down, plus retailers are closed too. Obviously most music is consumed digitally now so it will still be possible for albums to be made available on Spotify if they're already recorded and mixed, but I am worried that the next few months could kill off physical music for good. Hopefully bands will still be able to release albums over the coming months, even it is only digital, as I'm going to be really bored stuck at home.

I get the label will earn more on physical sales but at the same time they have a captive audience if they went ahead digitally. If it''s just going to sit waiting for release then that''s the worse of both worlds surely?

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:08 pm

Ghost wrote:I’m spending the downtime listening to queen's back catalogue. I've always been a fan but only really listened to their greatest hits because quite frankly they have too many albums. I do have A kind of magic on tape somewhere. Anyway their debut is fantastic, such a clever diverse album.
Jesus!
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

SlaytanicBacon
Definitely Not Nu

Postby SlaytanicBacon » Tue Mar 31, 2020 2:59 pm

houston4044 wrote:Got me a Ziltoid hand puppet to support ol' Devin and to break the tedium a bit.

I approve of this, also one positive of this situation is that Devin is making new music and tweaking old ones whilst in lockdown (all on livestream too). All of it is on YouTube completely free to listen to.

It amazes me how talented this guy is since in the last week and bit he's released several calming songs, 44 seconds of chaos, a party cover featuring Ziltoid himself, a funky song, an absolute heavy song in the vein of Strapping Young Lad and a remix of a Sky Blue song.