Geoff Tate... shit live?

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Geoff Tate... shit live?

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon May 03, 2021 8:58 pm

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has seen Geoff live at all. Is he any good?

Im listening to Rage for Order right now, and its making me want to check out his solo tour.

The thing is, I saw Queensryche with him many years ago, and i have to say it was one of the most disappointing gigs I've been to. He came across as totally obnoxious. His vocals were alright, good even , but man it left me totally cold. There was just no chemistry on stage.

However, there are recordings of him in his prime, and he was amazing.

How is he nowadays, has anyone seen him post split?
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: Geoff Tate... shit live?

Postby Powerslave » Tue May 04, 2021 7:28 am

He's a lot better now than he was towards the end of his Queensryche tenure.
Had no interest in him after that, but he was playing close to where I live doing Mindcrime in full a couple of years back so I went along - was far better than I was expecting.

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue May 04, 2021 7:40 am

I only saw him once with Queensryche which was towards the end of his run in the band. And as others have said - he was pretty shit then. Vocals not great but most of all he had no connection with the crowd and just came off like an obnoxious tool.

Maybe touring small venues with his solo band has humbled him, I'm not sure, but I can't say I'm eager to take the chance and part with my cash to find out.

ribbons69
Denim Demon

Postby ribbons69 » Sat May 08, 2021 9:27 am

He was fine when he was playing with Avantasia a couple of years ago, both vocally and his interaction with the rest of the band and the crowd.
Tom G Warrior wrote:I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt,

we fall to rise

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat May 08, 2021 3:51 pm

Maybe his rather unspectacular solo career has indeed humbled him a bit.

If the tour goes ahead, I think I will check it out.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Pagan Knight
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Pagan Knight » Mon May 24, 2021 7:38 pm

I saw Queenryche 2 or 3 times years ago & do recall they were fantastic on the 'Empire ' tour at Nottingham Royal concert hall when they played a lot of the old stuff , plenty of Empire & then did they whole of ' Mindcrime ' in the 2nd half of the gig !
We saw Geoff Tate a couple of years ago on his solo tour in a club that hold probably about 60 ( it was full to be fair ) & musically he was still good but not so sure if he comes across as particularly likeable :-?
A Storms A-Brewing!
The Clan Destined , A Forest Of Stars , Wintersun , Tiamat , Moonspell , Wardruna , Pitchshifter , Anathema , Sòlstafir , Suicidal Tendencies , Moonsorrow , Winterfylleth , Baroness & FEN for Bloodstock Open Air ....