Metal magazines - PLEASE ANSWER!!!!

For general discussion of all things metal-related.

Which magazine(s) do you read?

METAL HAMMER
33%
TERRORIZER
36%
KERRANG!
4%
CLASSIC ROCK
10%
POWERPLAY
5%
ZERO TOLERANCE
12%

Total votes: 756

Blek
Warrior of Metal

Re: Metal magazines - PLEASE ANSWER!!!!

Postby Blek » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:21 pm

I buy Zero Tolerance every month. It's the only magazine I can buy "blind" and know that most of the artists covered will be of interest to me. I've become disillusioned with Terrorizer, to the point where I seldom even check the cover to see whose featured. None of the other magazines mentioned have any relevance to my listening tastes.

metalaisha
Lowly Peon

Postby metalaisha » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Gave up on metal mags a looooooooong time ago, they get worse and worse. They dont feature any decent bands anymore. Kerrang was good about 10 years ago, Metal Hammer went down the same path about 5 years ago. Terrorizer and Zero Tolerance are getting bad too. Fair enough if you like that stuff but please can we have atleast one magazine that features some old school amazing Thrash and Death Metal bands? Or even some amazing underground, unsigned bands like Terrorizer used to do (they prob still do but I wouldnt know)
The money you have to pay out for what you get these days just aint worth it.
Touch, Taste, Breathe the soooound!

kittikataklysm
Consort of the Beast

Postby kittikataklysm » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:54 pm

I usually buy either Terrorizer or Metal Hammer, but recently I've been buying neither because there aren't any bands on the cover that interest me. It also depends what songs are on the free CD it usually comes with. I used to always buy Metal Hammer, but they don't have any bands that interest me anymore. They also seem to be focused on 5 bands, and don't write about anyone else. It gets a bit repetitive.

Taliesin
Warrior of Metal

Postby Taliesin » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:48 pm

I used to buy Kerrang but slowly changed to Metal Hammer as it catered more to my tastes. I then started having the same problems with MH and stopped buying music mags altogether.
The internet gives me all I need without having to cough up cash for maybe 2 pages of stuff I'm interested in.

I haven't bought any of those mags in years.

Actually that was a lie, one of them had a spread on Slayer a couple of years ago (don't remember which mag) and it took my fancy so I bought it.
Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what they'll be having for lunch. Liberty is a well armed sheep contesting the vote

99hammy99
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby 99hammy99 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:04 pm

im getting fed up with metal hammer now, it just seems to be getting boring and irrelivant.

maybe i'll switch to classic rock for a bit

Darahgna
Powermetal Child

Postby Darahgna » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:23 pm

i used to buy metal hammer quite alot but it gets so expensive and boring after a while..
Feel free to add me on Facebook :D

If you see me at bloodstock, please make me a cup of tea!!! :D

TemperantiaKeys
Powermetal Child

Postby TemperantiaKeys » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:22 pm

I used to enjoy Metal Hammer - but it's clear they have a certain 4/5 bands they completely bum for about 6 months at a time and then you don't hear anything about them anymore, wheras bands who have been going for a long time don't get the credit they deserve and they only have a tiny section about newer bands. I'd much rather either read stuff online or Zero Tolerance thanks :yes:

Beyond Redepmption
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Beyond Redepmption » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:11 pm

I used to read Metal Hammer when I was a kid, haven't touched a MH since 2005 now. Far too much crap, but at least they managed to get away from the "nu" Metal Hammer thing they had going on from around 99 - 03. I agree what people say with MH bumming bands accross certain periods of time, it wears really thin on me. One for the posers

Kerrang, completely devoid of credibility. I wouldn't even wipe my arse with its pages.

Terrorizer, I'm on the fence with this one. I've read some cool issues in my time but it seems to be gradually be heading down the MH path, correct me if I'm wrong as I haven't read in a year or two and I'm basically judging by the covers.

Powerplay, I think powerplay is pretty much the best magazine out there. While Death/Black metal fans aren't going to find too much to write home about, I feel they nicely cover the subgenre's and plus they do a lot of power metal stuff. One of the few/if not only magazine(s) where you'll find two/three page spreads with bands like Gamma Ray, Therion, Threshold and so on so forth. This one gets my vote

Zero Tolerance, not much experience with this but I feel inclined to start reading this one.

Apologies if I come off a tad elitist but MH and Kerrang really grind my gears and I enjoy a bit of a vent at them.

Big up the Powerplay! :D

Alex_OA
Warrior of Metal

Postby Alex_OA » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:59 pm

Zero Tolerance, cause the magazine man at leicester market sells back issues for a pound. Get in!

CiderCommando
Powermetal Child

Postby CiderCommando » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:59 am

theyre all a bit fucking shit really arnt they
having the internet kinda kills magazines, at least for me

The Toad
Paster of Muppets

Postby The Toad » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:08 am

Just a note - Metal Hammer seem to have overhauled the Subterreanea section this month, doubling the amount of album reviews and fitting a few more interviews in. They seem to be quite keen on this section, surprisingly.

(For those that don't read Hammer, it's the underground metal section, essentially a kind of Terrorizer light.)

MyDomainofDecay
Consort of the Beast

Postby MyDomainofDecay » Thu Sep 02, 2010 12:23 am

This month's Metal Hammer has Disturbed on the cover and the Black Sabbath cover CD was pretty aweful...I think it's getting to the point where the only bit I really enjoy in Hammer is Jurgen's column. It's all very silly but it amuses me. I might try Terrorizer next month if theres enough bands that interest me on the cover.

randomstalker
Definitely Not Nu

Postby randomstalker » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:44 pm

i rarely read any at the moment, used to but metal hammer a lot but got bored with the bands they started to put in, and dont even get me started on kerrang....
'grandpa, someone...someone stole my UNDIES!!!'

Tobboccus
Warrior of Metal

Postby Tobboccus » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:45 pm

i used to read MH all the time but it's becoming false-metal hammer so i gave up on mags so i get most of my metal news from the net.
cockneyjack wrote:The Defiled are gayer than a handbag full of rainbows.

christopher
Consort of the Beast

Postby christopher » Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:15 pm

Powerplay
Metal Hammer
Terrorizer ..... Occasionallly

Kerrang ...... No ....fuck no and thrice ...no no no ....bollocks wank emo, rap metal magazine.
THERE ARE ONLY 2 KINDS OF MUSIC .... HEAVY .. & .. METAL
Image Image