Metal magazines - PLEASE ANSWER!!!!

For general discussion of all things metal-related.

Which magazine(s) do you read?

METAL HAMMER
33%
TERRORIZER
36%
KERRANG!
4%
CLASSIC ROCK
10%
POWERPLAY
5%
ZERO TOLERANCE
12%

Total votes: 756

obscurus169
Warrior of Metal

Re: Metal magazines - PLEASE ANSWER!!!!

Postby obscurus169 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:59 pm

I started reading Mental Hamster in 1996. I subscribed to it about 5 years ago and stopped when it started losing its objectivity. Then there were a few years in which I didn't read anything.

Over the last couple of years, I've been reading Mental Hamster and Terrorizer pretty much monthly. I do this because I get an awful lot of trains and frequently need something to read.

I have the same problem that 80% of contributors to this thread have with MH, but I'll try and articulate it this way: they obsessionally eulogise Dimebag Darrel. He was on the front of this month's issue and, guess what, he was the top-rated riff lord, or whatever daft phrase they use instead of "Guitarist." I find their obsession with him sad, creepy and amusing all at the same time: much like the Daily Express's obsession with Princess Diana.

The covermount CDs have introduced me to some of my favourite bands over the years, however, so I keep gamely plugging away.
"Let me see your flipping horns, you plonkers."
Matt Drake, Evile, 12.viii.2012

D00m_W0mbl3
Warrior of Metal

Postby D00m_W0mbl3 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:22 pm

Metal Hammer, Terrorizer, Powerplay and Classic Rock evry month.

But never ever ever Kerrap!
POO POO TWAIN!!!

Facebook- http://www.facebook.com/greg.littlejohn.90

"I am the man who put the hair in Hair Metal!" Sebastian Bach

chezequerz
Warrior of Metal

Postby chezequerz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:01 pm

obscurus169 wrote:I started reading Mental Hamster in 1996. I subscribed to it about 5 years ago and stopped when it started losing its objectivity. Then there were a few years in which I didn't read anything.

Over the last couple of years, I've been reading Mental Hamster and Terrorizer pretty much monthly. I do this because I get an awful lot of trains and frequently need something to read.

I have the same problem that 80% of contributors to this thread have with MH, but I'll try and articulate it this way: they obsessionally eulogise Dimebag Darrel. He was on the front of this month's issue and, guess what, he was the top-rated riff lord, or whatever daft phrase they use instead of "Guitarist." I find their obsession with him sad, creepy and amusing all at the same time: much like the Daily Express's obsession with Princess Diana.

The covermount CDs have introduced me to some of my favourite bands over the years, however, so I keep gamely plugging away.

I'm inclined to agree, they go a bit overboard there's no denying that he had some great riffs and that is reflected by a lot of press he received in guitar and music magazines in his lifetime but Hammer have kinda taken it to a bit of an extreme...still i'd rather they did an entire magazine on Dime than another 6 page spread of Bring Me The Horizon or Asking Alexandria.
I have kept it
The Amaranth symbol
Hiddin inside the golden shrine
Until we rejoice in the meadow
Of the end
When we both walk the shadows
It will set ablaze and vanish
Black rose immortal

CTID

Green Man
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man » Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:51 am

obscurus169 wrote:I started reading Mental Hamster in 1996. I subscribed to it about 5 years ago and stopped when it started losing its objectivity. Then there were a few years in which I didn't read anything.

Metal Hamster!! That sounds like an awesome magazine!

:D

obscurus169
Warrior of Metal

Postby obscurus169 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:23 am

Green Man wrote:

Metal Hamster!! That sounds like an awesome magazine!

:D

That is an amazing picture, sir.
"Let me see your flipping horns, you plonkers."
Matt Drake, Evile, 12.viii.2012

Green Man
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man » Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:40 am

one rode to asa bay
Denim Demon

Postby one rode to asa bay » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:57 pm

Anybody else checked out Iron Fist? Haven't read it fully yet but it seems pretty good, not sure if I like it as much as ZT though. Shame that despite both being bi-monthlies they both come out the same month rather than alternate months.
UtopianBlaster7 wrote:theres always so much shite plays these sorts of fest "ribbet ribbet vaginal death ribbet ribbet gore"

Andy Hall wrote:yeah but she likes arseholes, literally

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:45 pm

I have read bits and bobs. Given who half the staff are it seems unsurprising that it seems like a more in depth Terrorizer, or how Terrorizor was a few years back.
My only complain would be the reviews. 150 words +/-10% doesn't tell you much, and the Bloodstock review was for the most part superfluous. It basically read like a running order at times.
"By the time the bass kicks in on 'Hammer of the North' Bloodstock 2012 is well and truly pumped, paving the way for more Viking fury from blackened horde Moonsorrow before we cross the ocean for a soaring set from Iced Earth and an admittedly thrashing taste of South America from Sepultura, even though we all secretly want the Cavs back. "

that doesn't really tell me anything I couldn't have found out from a quick glance at last years line up. Plus the order seemed a bit out, and they credited Testament as doing a machine head track.

But aside from that blip, I do think Iron Fist has a lot of promise. Moreso than Terrorizer which I've all but given up on.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

tranmerefan
Denim Demon

Postby tranmerefan » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:09 pm

I read less and less of terrorizer every month it seems. Every interview is seemingly some American hardcore act with their "sick" riffs and how they are pumped with the new heavy material thats just totally killer.

Used to feature a nice mixture of black/death/doom/folk (even some power!) etc. That's getting less and less IMO. There's less every single month of stuff I want to read and I'm not entirely sure I will renew my subscription as it's taking less and less time to read.

Going to try Zero Tolerance (I bought one with a Wodensthrone article in a few months back but not read it yet - no rush as I read magazines for interviews etc; not news) and I might try Iron Fist.
Last.fm Profile

Facebook

BLIND GUARDIANl; FEN; A FOREST OF STARS; FEN; NIGHTWISH; FEN; OLD CORPSE ROAD; FEN; UFO; FEN; WODENSTHRONE; FEN; AGALLOCH AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD FEN FOR BOA 2014

euantehclansman
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby euantehclansman » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:02 am

Iron Fist is pretty damn good

pandimensionalsuffering.bandcamp.com

MetallerMathius
Powermetal Child

Postby MetallerMathius » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:51 am

I used to get Metal Hammer every week. If for nothing else but the Subterranea and the gig listings. Also reviews of stuff I went to. I read Kerrang for about 6 months when I was about 14 but even then it was pretty much skip to the gig announcements.
Just because I'm 6'9 does not give you the excuse to throw things at my head.

Andymetal1972
Lowly Peon

Postby Andymetal1972 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Terrorizer and Metal Hammer.

SHOTGUNBLAST
Lowly Peon

Postby SHOTGUNBLAST » Fri May 10, 2013 5:08 am

Terrorizer :yes:

ruki
Lowly Peon

Postby ruki » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:07 pm

Terrorizer out of habit and Powerplay just has the best CD reviews out of any metal publication out at the moment.
"as soon as your born your dying"

Katy
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Katy » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:06 am

I recently bought Metal Hammer and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it.

Is Terrorizer available at any shops/newsagents? Because judging by the website, they're right up my alley.