Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
RainbowRising
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby RainbowRising » Thu May 30, 2013 5:23 pm

gandalf the red wrote:
Illwish wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:Swedish Death Metallers Insision at my local cover band club on thursday night,three quid on the door,they plaayed a blinder to about twenty people,including the support band,initially I was embarressed for them,until I spoke to the singer after the gig and he said that only two people paid to get in to their Birmingham gig a couple of nights before! Home of Metal my arse.
To be fair it must've been ridiculously badly promoted. Not that I'm a fan of the band but they played Bradford and I had no idea until I googled them just now.

Didn't see any promotion at all. I know people who probably would of gone to Bradford if they knew about it. Oh well, if they don't want punters that's their problem.

its was actually free in and the only reason i knew about it is because the person in the support band was banging on about it haha

RainbowRising

Postby RainbowRising » Thu May 30, 2013 5:32 pm

The last Gaskin/Weapon thingy in london was woefully attended, if it wasnt for the bands and the spanish lot it would have been dreadful haha

RainbowRising

Postby RainbowRising » Thu May 30, 2013 6:03 pm

well aye of course, im just saying it was free in so you'd have expected abit more of a push for it as you rarely get bands for free nowadays unless they are rubbish cover bands

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu May 30, 2013 6:36 pm

Never been to a gig that's down to single figures, but have seen pitiful audiences compared to the size of the places they were booked into: Duff MacKagen's Walking Papers had about 50 people in a 400 cap place, and Audrey Horne had no more than 100 in an 800 cap place a few weeks ago, despite all the press attention they get. Queensryche on the Q2K tour would have maybe quarter filled the floor of the Apollo if it wasn't seated. IIRC I did read on here that one guy (Black Lagoon?) saw Saxon play the St Austell Coliseum in front of 30 people in a 3000 cap hall!!.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Thu May 30, 2013 7:04 pm

I think the lowest I've gotten is around 20 maybe 30 people or so seeing Malevolent Creation at the Moho last year
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

RainbowRising

Postby RainbowRising » Thu May 30, 2013 8:05 pm

remember seeing amon amarth in newcastle infront of 8-10 people. they were absolute rubbish and still are.

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu May 30, 2013 11:32 pm

I've been the only payer watching opening bands before (usually at all dayer or 6 band+ gigs), but I've never been at a gig in single figures. I've heard about plenty in Belfast before my time though. Procession pulling 7 payers was probably the worst. Cannibal Corpse and Kreator both got about 12 around that time as well I think.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri May 31, 2013 9:00 am

...oh, and Onslaught playing to a near empty hall at Bloodstock 06

RainbowRising

Postby RainbowRising » Fri May 31, 2013 9:29 am

gandalf the red wrote:
RainbowRising wrote:remember seeing amon amarth in newcastle infront of 8-10 people. they were absolute rubbish and still are.

Well would you go to Newcastle if you weren't from there? :P

aye but not for amon amarth haha

separation and cranation pulled 2 paying punters the other month and about 5 people in total

wroed
Denim Demon

Postby wroed » Fri May 31, 2013 11:06 am

someone else wrote:...oh, and Onslaught playing to a near empty hall at Bloodstock 06

Which hall were you in???

http://www.rockersdigest.com/ViewImage?pid=15586
http://www.rockersdigest.com/ViewImage?pid=15595

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri May 31, 2013 11:17 am

If the shot was wider, there'd be big empty spaces. A couple hundred on a floor that could hold over 1300 = empty hall.

kaosweaver20
Consort of the Beast

Postby kaosweaver20 » Fri May 31, 2013 7:09 pm

My friend's band had to play behind closed doors to about 6 of us due to the venue messing up. :lol:

Come with me and you will see, our future in debris. First the sun and now the stars are fading

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Fri May 31, 2013 9:12 pm

skull-wart wrote:I think the lowest I've gotten is around 20 maybe 30 people or so seeing Malevolent Creation at the Moho last year

Sure there was more than that there! Maybe it was just because I knew half the crowd it felt like it! :lol:

I saw Detonation play to 8 people at Santa's Grotto once, half of which were the opening band's mates who buggered off once they'd packed up their gear! I think Vomitory at the Music Box got around 15 and the Monstrosity/Vile/Impaled/Deeds Of Flesh at the same venue didn't get much more... and I think there was about 5 of us watching Monstrosity at the end when most people had left to get last buses/trains when the gig overran. Avulsed played to barely anyone both times they played Liverpool too.

Podgie.
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Podgie. » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Podgie. wrote:Yesterday one of the band's I've designed a logo for, Norway's Overthrow, bagged direct support for Megadeth in Oslo Friday night, so I've booked a last minute flight and my next gig will be Megadeth. From the side of the stage. Pretty stoked as they're like, my favourite band ever. Totally winging it though so we'll see how it works out :lol:

:lol: This made me laugh.

Obviously it 'didn't go as planned'.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:54 pm

So, a pretty good gig by Andy Cairns last night mainly due to the good humour from the singer and the crowd (beered up 30/40 somethings can be the worst crowd in the world), but in truth they covered up the fact that, stripped down, some of the songs weren't strong enough to be strummed on one acoustic, some he admitted were like playing the demo versions and getting the crowd to sing the riffs to Screamager. A good gig, but glad I didn't buy the acoustic cd he was flogging.

Next: Mudhoney on Friday.