Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:27 am

Last: Firegarden EP Launch show.

Delirium were up first. Those of you who have been following my M2tM posts may recognise them as one of the bands that won their first round heat, and are a personal favourite. The lads put on a confident show here, with equal amounts of technical quality and rock and roll swagger.

Fear Lies were the main support. I don't recall if I've seen them before, but I enjoyed their set. They were a sort of contemporary / radio friendly hard rock / heavy metal act. Crowd was pretty hot for them too.

Firegarden rounded things out. As well as being the launch show for their new EP '1649', it was also the final gig with keyboardist Andy Gotteri, who has decided to move on to different things. I've followed this band on-and-off for around a decade, and this was one of their better shows that I can recall. Everyone was on form, and their was a sort of jovial / celebratory mood to the evening, which made their 'prog 'n' roll' side all the more infectious.

Next: Probably Metal 2 the Masses Sheffield Semi Final 1.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:09 am

Last gig: Hammerfest
Was a very enjoyable weekend with some great performances mixed in over the weekend. Armored Saint, Grand Magus, Destruction and Beyond The Black had to be my highlights of the weekend.

Next gig: Havok

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:55 pm

Last: Metalworks / Stuka Squadron
Next: Dorja (if I'm out of hospital in time) or Ross The Boss (if not)
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:46 pm

Last - Grand Magus last night in Manchester. Top notch as always.

Next - Amon Amarth and Dark Tranquillity next Friday in Bordeaux..... Just a tad excited :D

eyesore
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby eyesore » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:26 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Last gig: Sonata Arctic / Thunderstone / Striker
Striker were solid. Sort of thrashy trad metal from Canada. Frontman was a bit under the weather (his voice progressively deteriorated throughout the set). They ended up playing an instrumental version of one of their songs to give him an extra few minutes to get ready for their last couple of tracks. I enjoyed them - a solid 7/10. The crowd was a bit sparse but were in to them.

when i went to see them a few years back, there were just 2 punters at the gig myself included.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:51 am

eyesore wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:Last gig: Sonata Arctic / Thunderstone / Striker
Striker were solid. Sort of thrashy trad metal from Canada. Frontman was a bit under the weather (his voice progressively deteriorated throughout the set). They ended up playing an instrumental version of one of their songs to give him an extra few minutes to get ready for their last couple of tracks. I enjoyed them - a solid 7/10. The crowd was a bit sparse but were in to them.

when i went to see them a few years back, there were just 2 punters at the gig myself included.

Did the gig actually take place to 2 people, or did they just give you a refund? The sparsest gig I've ever been to was about 30 people, 2 people just sounds weird and surreal.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:58 am

bloodfiend wrote:
eyesore wrote:when i went to see them a few years back, there were just 2 punters at the gig myself included.

Did the gig actually take place to 2 people, or did they just give you a refund? The sparsest gig I've ever been to was about 30 people, 2 people just sounds weird and surreal.

Our local venue can be a little empty if it's not and indie or old punk band - it's a 600 cap place with a balcony and Raven played to about 15 people, Karma To Burn about 25, Enforcer/Wolf, Warrior Soul, Scorpion Child each got about 40.

Emptiest in comparison to size was probable Phil Campbell at Uprising last year who just about got a front row at De Montford Hall after a lot left after Hell finished
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:16 am

someone else wrote:
Our local venue can be a little empty if it's not and indie or old punk band - it's a 600 cap place with a balcony and Raven played to about 15 people, Karma To Burn about 25, Enforcer/Wolf, Warrior Soul, Scorpion Child each got about 40.

Emptiest in comparison to size was probable Phil Campbell at Uprising last year who just about got a front row at De Montford Hall after a lot left after Hell finished

Is that at the Live Rooms? We went on a little road trip to see Cradle Of Filth there in March, good venue and the afterparty afterwards was fun. Dunno why there's that carpeted bit near the front of the stage though, obviously it's gonna get covered in beer and crap.

I remember in 02 I think seeing Biomechanical at the underworld cos Bloodstock were doing a cheap tickets offer, there were about 40 people there, it was really awkward had weird atmosphere cos it so empty. The band were crap as well, played a load of their very average songs then became a covers band for the last half of the set. Also saw Power Quest play to a similar sized crowd in 2004, maybe about 50-60 people, everyone gathered at the front of the stage and it felt really odd, like a band playing to their mates in their front room.

Anyway, back to topic:
Last gig - Battle Beast at the underworld last Saturday and great it was too.
Next - was thining about Primordial/Fen/Crom Dub at underworld tonight, but I might not bother. PerKelt in Stockwell in Sunday is looking like my next.

eyesore
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby eyesore » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:13 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
eyesore wrote:when i went to see them a few years back, there were just 2 punters at the gig myself included.

oh it did take place alright. with the other band's members (screamer) and pub staff there were about 10 people in the venue (nuneaton's queen hall). i took a picture of one of them playing to an empty room, but i long deleted it.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:29 pm

Last gig: Ghost in Brum.
Ghost were brilliant, the crowd were a bunch of twats.

Next gig: Maiden in Notts.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:35 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Last gig: Ghost in Brum.

What was up with the crowd?

My last gig was Mayhem, Dragged into Sunlight and Inconcessus Lux Lucis is Manchester. Next will probably be the Black Cloud all-dayer in Manchester featuring bands such as Esoteric and Gnaw their Tongues :D

mathewxentrix88
Leather Rebel

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:12 am

Last gig-Asphyx in London.sound could have been a bit better-not as crushingly heavy as i was hoping-and there were some absolute arseholes there who thought it was ok to just barge everyone out the way to get a good spot-7/10.
Next gig-Thrashersaurus in Norwich.(would have been Acid Reign in London but trains are fucked again this weekend)

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:36 pm

mathewxentrix88 wrote:Last gig-Asphyx in London.sound could have been a bit better-not as crushingly heavy as i was hoping-and there were some absolute arseholes there who thought it was ok to just barge everyone out the way to get a good spot-7/10.
Next gig-Thrashersaurus in Norwich.(would have been Acid Reign in London but trains are fucked again this weekend)

I've heard a lot of different opinions about that Asphyx show - I thought the sound was fine, I was about 4 foot in front of the stairs and I could hear everything clearly and some of my friends said the same thing, but another friend and now you say it was iffy elsewhere.

last Wednesday - Slowdive - sold my ticket for Mayhem for their surprise show at the garage. One of my favourite bands, new songs sounded great and Machine Gun had me in tears as usual. Can't wait to see them again in Oxford once the new album is out.
Thursday - ross the boss. Underworld was like a quarter full which felt weird, I missed the supports because work, but they nailed it. Fantastic fun from start to finish, his band are great.
Friday - Primordial. Opposite problem, the venue was too packed and they for some reason attracted a lot of dicks who want to barge everyone out of the way and/or shout over the band the whole night. Hard to see because of the venue's stupid layout, and the sound was bad. They seemed to put on a good show but couldn't hear it properly. But I may have just been anxious because I had a bus to get.
Saturday - Lords of the Land. Simply one of the best gig days of my life. Every band better than the last. Two new bands I need to listen to in Acid Reign and Dragged into Sunlight, and Marduk, Mayhem, Autopsy, Primordial, Venom Inc (barring iffy sound) all nailed it on their sets. Venue is well laid out, drinks prices good, great atmosphere. Unfortunately low-ish turn out probably because of Heavy Scotland. I didn't sleep on the bus after Primordial so by the time I'd gone to sleep after drinking at Ivory Blacks after I'd been awake 43 hours. Amazing day.

Next - maybe Immolation and Vader, if not Zhrine and Audn. Not sure I can justify £50 for Day 3 of desertfest for Candlemass, St Vitus, Sleep and Wolves in the throne room, will see if it's sold out and how I feel on the day.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:12 pm

Jay1993 wrote:
Darkweasel wrote:Last gig: Ghost in Brum.

What was up with the crowd?

Right from the start of the evening there was a weird vibe to the place. The Academy's usually a pretty friendly place but there was just something off about it this time.

People were shoving themselves into non-existent spaces to get a better view, but while that happens at every single show, this time they were using intimidation tactics, elbowing, treading on the backs of ankles, and deliberately spilling drinks over people to get them to move.

You always get idiots, but most of the time people will still move to accommodate them, even if it's just to get rid of them. However, this time, nobody was getting in front, or to the side of anybody and general responses included kicking and shoving, or violently sticking their arses out so people would fall over.

Barely ten seconds into Ghost's set, a fight broke out between one particularly drunk guy and about three others. Behind me, an over-protective dad was letting his teenage son get away with kicking and elbowing people, but getting nasty with anyone who reacted.

Every time the crowd surged forward, I got shoved into the girls in front of me (not as pleasant as it sounds, believe me) and they would stick their arses out, kick backwards, or just turn around and give me a filthy looks. Sorry, ladies, but when a thousand people surge behind me, I'm not going to be able to stay on the outside of your protective bubble of personal space.

It was quite telling when Papa asked how many people had seen Ghost before that only about a third of the audience shouted back. When he asked how many were seeing them for the first time, the majority of the crowd replied and I couldn't help but think that it wasn't only the first time they'd seen Ghost, but the first time they'd been to a gig, full stop.

Also, the drunk guy who nearly started a fight at the start decided to crowd-surf to He Is.
Although that was actually quite funny tbf.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:31 pm

mathewxentrix88 wrote:Last gig-Asphyx in London.sound could have been a bit better-not as crushingly heavy as i was hoping-and there were some absolute arseholes there who thought it was ok to just barge everyone out the way to get a good spot-7/10.

Thrashersaurus is always a blast, shame it's the last one, have a good'un! :rock: