Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby Ghost » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:19 pm

Last. Voyager in London. That was like the perfect gig. Great venue, friendly crowd and awesome performance by all the bands.

Next. Volbeat in London on Thursday.
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:45 am

Last: Sisters Of Mercy at the Roundhouse on Saturday, enjoyable gig, far better than the diabolical performance last time I saw them in London in 2006, far less dry ice and a decent (but not great) sound this time. They seem to play much shortened versions of their sounds, which allows for more music, but I wish we could get the full versions. Amenra were very good as support.

Next: Go tickets for anything until Gloryhammer on Oct 18th, will hopefully fit something in between now and then.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:50 am

Last gig - Therapy? at the Brudenell Social Club in Leeds. Due to the gig here last year being cut short, the band played an extra 'matinee' show at 6.30 for the previous ticket holders where they played the remainder of that set before the main show later, which I thought was a nice touch.
Went back in for the main show which was a full 90min set so I ended up getting nearly 2 and a half hours of Therapy? in one night! Excellent sets and if Ginger Wildheart is one of the most underrated British song-writers of his generation then Andy Cairns is definitely in the same conversation. Never fail to put on a good show.

Next gig - reliving my youth at the Static-X / Soil gig at Leeds Uni

metalheadmachinist
Lowly Peon

Postby metalheadmachinist » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:42 pm

Last: Static X, Soil, Wednesday 13 and Dope in Cardiff, one hell of a show!

Next: Probably the same lineup but in Birmingham :D otherwise it’ll be Ghost in Cardiff on November the 17th.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:54 pm

Last: Volbeat in brixton. Was OK. Didn't like the supports and it was a bit busy for me. Definitely been better but the singer being ill probably didn't help.

Next: Deafheaven in Camden

robin8585
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby robin8585 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:17 am

Last: Voyager in Manchester. Turnout was a bit poor, and Satan's Hollow isn't the best venue, but they didn't seem to mind either and put on a great show. Coldbones were fantastic in support too, immediately went and bought all of their things once they finished.

Next: Battalions and Elephant Tree in Sheffield tonight.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:36 am

Last gig - Static-X / Soil / Weds 13 / Dope @ Leeds Uni

Fun little nu-metal nostalgia trip for me and it was nice to see the venue so busy from the off, especially given the early start time. Dope were a decent opener and Weds 13 was the only let down of the evening as gone are the glam elements and in their place are a low-budget Marilyn Manson/Rob Zombie tribute act complete with a set of new material (save the last song) which most of the crowd were largely unfamiliar with.
Soil were the primary reason I was there and they didn't disappoint despite having their set seemingly cut by one or two songs, however I was pleasantly surprised by Static-X. They were one of the few big nu-metal bands that passed me by and I only knew a handful of songs going in but by the end I definitely want to revisit those older albums. I know having a different singer in a Wayne Static mask seemed controversial but it was done in good taste and the whole thing turned into a fitting tribute from his former band-mates.

Next gig - Gloryhammer/Beast in Black/Wind Rose in Manchester

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:03 pm

Last was Power Metal Quest Fest in Birmingham on Saturday. A lot of fun, well organized and Ancient Bards were great. I also spoke to a dude I've seen at several gigs over the last couple of years - turned out it was this forum's very own Tet!

Next is Killswitch Engage in Birmingham in a few weeks.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:57 pm

Last - HRH Doom Vs Stoner, Sheffield. Episode 4, and the third with Orange Goblin headlining - always a decent gig with them, but Ben Ward seemed to have a cob on about his band and the way they're viewed, fine for a bit of rallying but got a bit tedious being repeated several times. Their ubiquity seemed to affect sales as it was emptier than previous years, and no announcement for next year may mean a re-think. Decent support from relative rarities like Italians Black Rainbows and Dead Smoke, as well as one of the last gigs from Black Moth. Sundays are typically sparser still, no exception here, but decent sets from Alunah, Dead Witches, Fireball Ministry and closers Monolord. Special mention to Church of the Cosmic Skull, who's religious cult parody and songs with a whiff of 70s glam and AOR so inscenced one audience member to launch a full volume tirade against them :lol:
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

robin8585

Postby robin8585 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:54 am

Last - HRH Doom Vs Stoner. Going to agree with the above in that it did seem poorly attended in comparison to last year, the 2nd stage particularly had very sparse crowds. Hopefully the lack of an announcement for 2020 means a rethink of what they're doing rather than the end of the event. It was a great weekend, Church of the Cosmic Skull, Monolord, Mage, Ten Ton Slug, Space Witch and Black Moth were all fantastic, and I made a nice new discovery in Gonga.

Next - Scumface: The Tediously Inevitable One-Off Reunion Show.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:43 am

Last HRH vs Stoner, my first time at the event and I enjoyed it, liked the academy as a venue and good sound throughout (unless the poor sounding bands were on while I was at weatherspoons :lol: Stand out bands for me were Ten Ton Slug, Church of the Cosmic Skull and Gonga. I'd attend again but only if I "won" tickets :P

Next: Acid Reign at Boston Rooms

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:53 pm

To be honest I think they were struggling with bands without constantly repeating the line up. Same thing was happening with the NWOBHM one. The Country/Southern Rock one has now merged with the Blues due to a lack of suitable bands.

Speaking of which. Last gig was Savage Outlaw's last gig. Decent band who should have got bigger. But I don't really think there is much of a market for Biker Rock nowadays.

Next. HRH Punk. Time to relive the old days of Erics* and Planet X. :D

*Ignore Wiki - Erics Punk night moved to another venue and didn't close until about 1985. Most of the punks stopped going as they couldn't stand the New Wave, New Romantic and Synthpop bands.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

J.Ross29
Powermetal Child

Postby J.Ross29 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Last gig - Volbeat @Manchester Apollo. Absolutely fantastic! Managed to catch witch tripper at HRH doom to but only there set as it was a school night (for school read toddler who likes to get up a silly times in the morning).

Next gig will be Amon Amarth also at the apollo!

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:39 pm

Last. Deafheaven in Camden. What an amazing live performance that was. First time seeing them. One of the best front men I've seen in recent time. Like a man possessed.

Next. Exhorder in Camden.

gavdann

Postby gavdann » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:40 am

Last: Sound City Ipswich (Snapped Ankles, The Murder Capial and many more). Best thing to have happened in Ipswich, possibly ever. At £15 it was just ridiculously good value for money.

Next: Cattle Decapitation at the end of the month.