Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:53 pm

Jay1993 wrote:My only complaint is that I'm short so my view in arenas is usually pretty rubbish, hence the only other arena show I've been to is Iron Maiden on the Final Frontier tour. I felt sorrier for the dude that was even shorter than me stood next to me though :lol:

It's a good thing that that bloodofthekings wasnt' standing in front of you then!
bloodofthekings wrote:... I happen to be taller than average (6"5) ... people were pestering me to move and trying to make me feel bad for 'blocking their view'

:(

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:24 am

Black Wizard wrote:
Jay1993 wrote:My only complaint is that I'm short so my view in arenas is usually pretty rubbish, hence the only other arena show I've been to is Iron Maiden on the Final Frontier tour. I felt sorrier for the dude that was even shorter than me stood next to me though :lol:

It's a good thing that that bloodofthekings wasnt' standing in front of you then!
bloodofthekings wrote:... I happen to be taller than average (6"5) ... people were pestering me to move and trying to make me feel bad for 'blocking their view'

That's basically everyone that stands in front me at gigs anyway :lol:

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:42 am

Black Wizard wrote:

In the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that I also said that I'd been stood in the same spot for over an hour or I was coming back from the toilet/bar to stand where I'd been stood for over an hour and the dicks behind me had turned up only a few mins before the band were due to start.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:32 am

bloodofthekings wrote:In the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that I also said that I'd been stood in the same spot for over an hour or I was coming back from the toilet/bar to stand where I'd been stood for over an hour and the dicks behind me had turned up only a few mins before the band were due to start.

Tall people have every right to stand where they hell they want. I'm average height and yes we'd all like a perfect view of the stage but screw them.

The ones who annoy me are the ones who push through at the last second and then stand in a non-existent spot right in front of me so I have to move.

Or the ones who continually chat through the gig.

We could probably devote an entire thread to rude and annoying people at gigs. :lol:

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:38 pm

Last: Ghost, Leeds. The over long instrumental stuff aside, I really enjoyed it.

Next: Amon Amarth, Manchester.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:25 pm

Last: Halestorm at the Nottingham Arena. It was good to see them bumped up to arenas and they played like a band who deserve to be there. I wasn't keen on the support bands - In This Moment and New Years Day - though.

Next: Sumo Cyco at the Camden Underworld tomorrow night.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:38 pm

Last: Sacred Reich in London. The support Night demon aren't really my thing but they put on a great show so I reccommend people check them up if they like Iron Maiden type bands.
Sacred Reich played the perfect headline show. Songs from the new album fitted in well. Fantastic night.

Next: Desaster/Archgoat/Mork in London on Sunday.
I see the bad moon arising.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:57 am

i0th wrote:Not Razorlight now

That's a blessing in disguise if you ask me. :lol:

Last: Fontaines D.C. last night at the Forum which was insane. I don't think I've been to a gig quite like that since Nirvana in 1991. Virtually the entire floor was a seething sea of bodies which only let up for the couple of slower tunes they played. Brilliant band who are on the cusp of great things. Seeing them again at Brixton in February which is also sold out, so the arenas are probably already the next step for them.

Next: Desaster & Archgoat on Sunday.
Yes, really this time.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:46 am

i0th wrote:
gavdann wrote:
i0th wrote:Not Razorlight now

That's a blessing in disguise if you ask me. :lol:

It's no great personal loss, they're the mrs' favourite band though so seen them plenty of times.

I have a very similar situation with the 90s indi band Gomez. If it wasn't for Paradise Lost's heavy touring schedule, they would be my most watched band.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:48 am

Last gig - Battle Beast @ Manchester Club Academy
Caught most of the support band - Cyhra - who were pretty good. Standard power metal fare, but had enough cheesy sing-a-long songs to keep me interested. Battle Beast were excellent as usual - new album isn't as good as their previous but still had a brilliantly cheesy fun time.

Next gig - Amon Amarth @ Manchester Apollo

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:49 am

metaldinosaur wrote:I have a very similar situation with the 90s indi band Gomez. If it wasn't for Paradise Lost's heavy touring schedule, they would be my most watched band.

I feel for you both. I saw Gomez a couple of times in the 90's at festivals and they were pretty dull.

My good lady isn't too fussed about going to gigs these days but having Razorlight as her favourite band would probably be grounds for divorce! :lol:

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:31 pm

Last - Ronnie Wood, Manchester - Like Iggy Pop last week, I'm still amazed at the energy some of these pensioner rock stars have. Unlike Iggy tho', Ronnie is very much a 'sideman', playing foil to Jagger and Rod and despite making decent albums of his own, he's not much of a live singer. Things perked up when Imelda May came on as singer and got some life out of the crowd.

Next - Wildhearts tonight
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:23 pm

Last: Sumo Cyco in the Camden Underworld. Fun show from Sumo Cyco. The support acts were a bit naff though. The Underworld appears to have received a lick of paint since I last visited. The damn pillars are still annoying though.

Next: Thursday on, er, Monday at the Electric Ballroom.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:58 am

Last: Desaster/Root/Archgoat/Mork
Good gig. Enjoyed Mork, Archgoat were great once the sound man found the volume dial and despite the singer having to give up on his bass towards the end, Root were like some weird black metal pantomime and Desaster were terrific. A great end to what was quite a dull weekend.

Next: I'm seeing the Wonderstuff with some old college mates in a couple of weeks for a bit of nostalgia and then it's Orange Goblin, Discharge & Hellripper on the 20th.

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:28 pm

Last couple: Sacred Reich at the Underworld. Great show, superb. Great setlist. Night Demon were decent enough too.
Amon Amarth at Birmingham. From the underworld one night to an over full academy the next. Forgot how much im getting less of a fan of the bigger shows. Couldn’t move around the venue comfortably, plus still feeling a tad hungover from night before. Arch enemy had a good sound, enjoyed them after lost interest with them over recent years.
As ever, Amon Amarth delivered a great performance and the new album tracks were great live.just not down the front as normal due to fore mentioned hangover.

Next - Kataklysm at the electric ballroom