Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
metalheadmachinist
Lowly Peon

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby metalheadmachinist » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:36 am

Last Gig: Nekrogoblikon in Swansea, originally I didn’t plan to go since I was seeing them in Leeds anyway but they were so much fun I had to catch them again.

Next Gig: Originally it was supposed to be Insane Clown Posse in Cardiff but they’ve just cancelled, so it’ll be Slipknot in Cardiff instead.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:39 pm

Last gig - Slipknot @ Manchester Arena.

Caught the last 20mins or so of Behemoth's set. Was ok but the songs just sounded the same to me. Nobody can accuse them of half-arsing it live, that's for sure, but it's just not my thing and they didn't really do anything to convince me to watch them for a full 90mins at Bloodstock this year.
Slipknot were excellent as usual. Always put on a great show and play with a level of intensity which is usually lacking from big arena bands. Not sure why they kept walking off for 30 secs - 1min after every other song (possibly to huff oxygen as they're getting on a bit now! haha) but that's a minor point. 'Unsainted' from the new album sounds absolutely huge live.

Next gig - Was gonna be ICP in Sheffield tonight but that's being rescheduled for March so next one is Wildhearts in Manchester at the end of Jan.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:36 pm

Last gig was Insomnium and Conjurer in Norwich last night. Went in knowing very little Insomnium and was very impressed - definitely a band I'll now be listening to a lot more on record! Conjurer were ace as always, and the crowd was surprisingly energetic for Norwich. Decking it on someone's spilled pint in the pit has now left my knees and elbows battered and bruised though - I'm getting too old for this shiz. :lol:

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Tue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 am

Last Slipknot /Behemoth in Newcastle. Both bands were good and I'm glad I got to see Behemoth as I'm probably missing Bloodstock, however, I felt a bit ill so my energy was down a notch.

Next Rhapsody of fire in Manchester!
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Tue Jan 21, 2020 7:34 pm

Last Show of hands...a folk band
Next Warhorns Winterfest
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:36 am

Last Dimmu Borgir/Amorphis/Wolves In The Throne Room at the Forum last night.

WITTR were good, love the music, just find the "don't say a word to the crowd" stance a bit tedious sometimes.
Amophis were fantastic, setlist focusing mainly on the newer stuff, but we still got once song each from the first 2 albums. Had upstairs ticket but sneaked in downstairs for them.
Dimmu Borgir - went back to sitting upstairs for Dimmu. What has happened to this band? Every song is some overwrought pompous symphonic War Of The Worlds mess, they have the nerve to call themselves black metal, but they're barely even metal these days. They hardly even had much of a stage show apart from some green lights, and the band spent the first 4 or so numbers wearing cloaks with huge hoods up, looking like utter bellends in the process. Mourning Palace was the only older song, played right at the end, and was as much of an awesome headbanger as ever....shame about the hour of dogshit that preceeded it.

Next - maybe The Wildhearts next Saturday (hmmm, should I go?, otherwise nothing planned until Alcest in early March.

eyesore
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby eyesore » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:21 pm

Love both Dimmu and Amorphis. Tales is one of my favourite albums ever. I think Amorphis played as many as 3 songs from it (Thousand Lakes including). Dimmu were great IMO. Amorphis were beyond awesome.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:56 pm

eyesore wrote:Love both Dimmu and Amorphis. Tales is one of my favourite albums ever. I think Amorphis played as many as 3 songs from it (Thousand Lakes including). Dimmu were great IMO. Amorphis were beyond awesome.

You would appear to be right, forgot they played Into Hiding as well as Black Winter Day at the end. The one from The Karelian Isthmus was the big surprise though.

Dimmu I just can't get these days, whereas they used to do awesome metal tracks like Tormentor Of Christian Souls and Spellbound By The Devil, everything is pompous, slow, overdone and tedious these days. Mourning Palace definitely seemed out of place amongst the new songs.

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:02 pm

Last - Dimmu and Amorphis on Wednesday. Decent gig, same set for Dimmu as from summer, but fine with me, really like their newest album.

Next - Memoriam at the Underworld next Saturday

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:58 pm

Last - Warhorns Winterfest
Next Grilschool
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sat Feb 01, 2020 5:42 pm

Last gig - The Wildhearts @ Manchester Ritz

Missed CKY completely due to the early start time and ended up getting there shortly after Backyard Babies started. Try as I might with this band, I just can't get into them. They're not bad, they're just not that good either. Each time I've seen them (which has been supporting a band I've gone to see) they've just been...there. Nothing terrible, but nothing special either.
The Wildhearts however were excellent as has been the case recently with them. Despite Ginger having a cold, they were on top form and knocked out hit after hit. One of the best live bands I've seen consistently in the last few years.

Next gig - Terrorvision @ The Warehouse, Leeds

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:35 pm

Last - Memoriam at the Underworld last night. Only about half full but good night. Krysthia were decent and memoriam played a good set, newer stuff was good live. Nice 10 o clock curfew with the club night so was home a bit earlier too which helped as was up for work at 5.20 am

Next - Unearth and Dust bolt in a couple of weeks

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:42 pm

gazsetsfire wrote:Last - Memoriam at the Underworld last night. Only about half full but good night.

I guess they only played there less than a year ago.
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Feb 04, 2020 11:53 am

bloodofthekings wrote:Last gig - The Wildhearts @ Manchester Ritz

Missed CKY completely due to the early start time and ended up getting there shortly after Backyard Babies started. Try as I might with this band, I just can't get into them. They're not bad, they're just not that good either. Each time I've seen them (which has been supporting a band I've gone to see) they've just been...there. Nothing terrible, but nothing special either.
The Wildhearts however were excellent as has been the case recently with them. Despite Ginger having a cold, they were on top form and knocked out hit after hit. One of the best live bands I've seen consistently in the last few years.

Next gig - Terrorvision @ The Warehouse, Leeds

Pretty much the same in London, I missed CKY and got their in time for Backyard Babies.

I've seen them a few times, and I can't get into them either, I was expecting a fun and vibrant punk rock gig, but they just sounded knackered and dreary.

The Wildhearts were awesome though, looks like we got a slightly different setlist to you, you got Shitsville and 20 x The Pain, we got Caffiene Bomb and Love U Til I Don't instead. CJ and Danny are looking a bit like old rockers these days, but weirdly Ginger still seems to look the same as he did 20 years ago! Great night.

Next? .....ummmm, Alcest on March 4th I think.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:11 pm

Last: Womenowar
Next: Sabaton
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...