Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
someone else
Denim Demon

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby someone else » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:26 pm

Last - Monster Magnet, Forum.
Reasonably full given its a step up in venue, support was bland Planet Rock faves Them Damn Crows - not exactly inspiring given the previous support bands they've had.
MM have long been a favourite, and playing a Powertrip flavoured set meant that it was right back to my teenage years - not all of the album was played, but it was a great set, and despite being 63 Dave Wyndorf is still a consummate cartoon rock star.

Steak, Brothers Keg - Underdog Gallery - free gig for a friends 50th. Brothers Keg were decent at BOA last year, and they've got better. Album finally got a release date for June. Steak maybe archytypal stoner rock, but they barrel through a set of songs with great riffs and hooks.

Next - tribute gig for Heavy Sentence guitarist Mike Woods next week.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:19 pm

Last: Girlschool
Next Fleshgod Apocolypse
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:41 am

Last gig - Terrorvision @ The Warehouse, Leeds
First trip back to this venue since seeing Blaze Bayley play to fewer than 50 people in 2004. Gig was sold out so was pretty sweaty and rammed but a great show nonetheless - Terrorvision were their usual bouncy, energetic selves and they always bring the fun (don't know how that singer keeps up - he's probably 15-20 years older than I am and by the end I'm fighting through aching back, legs and feet to keep upright!). Hopefully this will be the rebirth of the Warehouse hosting rock gigs as this kind of smaller venue has been sorely lacking in Leeds since the Cockpit and Joseph's Well both closed down.

Next gig - Rhapsody of Fire @ Rebellion in Manchester

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:25 pm

Last - Delain (Ritz, Manchester)

Absolutely fantastic. One of the best gigs I've been to - the support were good, sortof male-fronted Beyond the Black, but Delain were on fire. It was the release day for their new album, they were clearly impressed with the reception the new songs got, the crowd were incredibly positive - dancing, jumping around, arms & hair flying everywhere. Delain themselves were first rate - Charlotte's vocals were spot on, nice guitar leads, just brilliant all-round. The set-list was well chosen, and the reaction of the crowd clearly surprised them - the roar for 'April Rain' got a 'oh so you remember this then', and after 'The Gathering' there was about two minutes of spontaneous cheering / clapping / general ovation - which caused Charlotte to cry, her voice to crack, and the band to look totally shocked at how well they were going over. Just magic. :D

Next - Rhapsody OV FIRE (Rebellion, Manchester)

Taking the wife for a romantic St Valentine's night out :lol:
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:24 am

Last gig - Rhapsody of Fire @ Rebellion in Manchester

Caught both support bands (Collibus and Dendera) who were both instantly forgettable and very bland. Rhapsody of Fire however were on top form and after initially thinking it was going to be a rather sparse crowd, the venue filled up a bit more for ROF (maybe all the late-comers heard the support bands on youtube and decided to stay in the pub - wouldn't blame them) and whilst the venue wasn't full by any means, at least it didn't look empty. Only the second time I'd been here for a gig and whilst I didn't drink the first time, I did last night and won't be making that mistake again - £4 for a can? F*ck that in the future.

Next gig - Grand Magus @ Manchester Academy 3

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:09 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:Last gig - Rhapsody of Fire @ Rebellion in Manchester...

I quite liked Dendera - Power Quest / Season's End members doing some proper British pub metal :lol:

Sound was awful for both of the support bands, however.

Rhapsody were fun, and the mrs remembered the words to both Holy Thunderforce AND Emerald Sword :yes:
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:54 pm

Last - Rhapsody of Fire, Manchester. The supports where ok, they both had talented members, but the songs lacked character for me. As for ROF, Second time seeing them with the new line-up, they were even better this time. I wonder if the Turilli/Lione Rhapsody can match it In April?

Next: Blaze Bayley and Elixir (Burfest) in London.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Feb 16, 2020 3:51 pm

My last gig (and first of 2020) was Delain at the Ansom Rooms in Bristol last weekend. I managed to watch from the second row which I was nowhere close to when I've seen them in London. The support band - Cyhra - were decent as an opening act as they can put on a fairly entertaining show despite their music being quite insipid. The highlight of their set was when the singer and guitarist got in a bit of a muddle and the singers head nearly got whacked by the bass! Delain were fantastic. The atmosphere was electric throughout their set and Charlotte's singing was mind-blowing - particularly in the chorus for 'Masters of Destiny'! I'm not completely sold on the new album yet but I enjoyed the new songs well enough live and we might have got one extra song that they weren't planning on playing because the crowd was so good.

I liked the venue too and will hopefully manage to see more shows there. It was also the first time I'd had the chance to walk around Bristol and it seems like a good city. Shame about the crappy weather though - thanks Ciara! Each time I've visited Bristol the weather has been crap, so hopefully I can visit in summer next time. At least I managed to find the Hippy Chippy in the city centre though. I did miss it at Bloodstock last year.

Next for me is both of Dream Theater's London shows next Friday and Saturday. I'm super excited about seeing 'Home' played live!

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:46 am

Last couple:

Unearth/Prong/Dust Bolt - ULU, London.
Not a fan of this venue but was only half full tonight so no probs, easy access to bar and toilets. Been wanting to see Dust Bolt for ages, shame they only got half an hour but enjoyed them. Prong, knew very little about, dragged on a bit, took them 40 minutes for changeover then played 65 minutes. Always was an unearth fan from the oncoming storm days, 16 years ago back in my younger days. Played a strong set, never varies much, but glad I made the trip through the gales and the potential storm damage to the train lines.

Destruction/Legion of the Damed/Suicidal Angels/Final Breath - 013, Tilburg (Holland)
Been looking forward to this for ages. Obviously booked long before I knew the thrash alliance was also coming to the U.K. love the city of Tilburg and 013 is a superb venue. Made the trip out that morning on Eurostar and was in Tilburg by 12.40. Good to see Final Breath, bought a couple of their albums back in about 07 but they never seem very active as a band. Suicidal angels were superb. 4 songs from their newest album (the superb Years of Aggression) and then usuals. Nice to see them get 50 minutes set despite being on 2nd. Loads of SA t shirts in the crowd too, went down a storm. Legion of the Damned, 10th time seeing them, but first time indoors since about 2012. Again fair chunk of songs from their newest album and expected rousing response playing in their home country. And then finally Destruction....... we’ll what can I say.... amazing. Sound was immense. Second guitarist has definitely took them up a notch. 4 songs from Born to perish and then the usual classics.... Curse the gods, Bestial invasion, Tormentor, Thrash till death, nailed to the cross etc. Can’t wait to see them in April. Fair t shirt prices too, 20 euros for all bands and 35 for hoodies. Got myself 2 shirts. Expect them to be 20 quid when they are over here in April, which in this day and age is good. All in all, great trip, arrived back yesterday tea time.

Next - the Visigoth double nighter at the Black Heart in a couple of weeks

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:56 pm

I went to both Dream Theater shows at the Hammersmith Apollo on Friday and Saturday. That wasn't initially the plan as I was considering selling my Friday ticket after getting a much better seat for Saturday, but it looked like too much hassle to bother trying. It was definitely worth going for both nights as the band were on fire and 'Scenes From A Memory' in its entirety was outstanding live. All those big hitting songs - 'Beyond This Life', 'Home', 'One Last Time' and 'The Spirit Carries On' - were fantastic love and it was definitely the best atmosphere I've experienced at a Dream Theater show (these two were my eight and ninth DT shows). 'Home', which is my favourite DT song, was especially awesome and it's always a treat to watch John Petrucci at work.

Next is The Lounge Kittens' penultimate show at Union Chapel in Islington on Friday. Something a little different.

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:00 pm

yep, was also at both nights, and loved every second of it - especially on the second night when i found myself in the middle of the front row. my seat was in row b, so was expecting it to be the second row, but row a was removed for the cameras. Through Her Eyes was my highlight.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Last: Lindemann + Aesthetic Perfection. Aesthetic Perfection are one of my favourite bands, they put on a good show as always but I'd say 99% of the crowd had no idea who they were so no one was really dancing.
Lindemann were good and he certainly needs some sort of counselling for his depraved ways :lol: .The videos in the background were just him acting out his perverted fantasies . Could of done without the band throwing full size chocolate cakes at the audience and one landing on my head but hey ho.

Next: Probably Testament or Rose Tattoo.
I see the bad moon arising.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:43 pm

Last: Fontaines D.C./Toy at the Norwich UEA

Next: The Jesus and Mary Chain at the Roundhouse

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:41 am

Last: The Lounge Kittens @ Band on the Wall, Manchester
Amazing amazing amazing. Played for nearly 2 1/2 hours, first set with just the three of them then after an interval another set with a backing band. One Step Closer in particular was amazing with the band behind it. Been a fan for 6 years and so glad I finally got to see them. Track of the night - Gold Dust.

Next: Ezio @ Otley Courthouse.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:03 pm

i0th wrote:Last: The Lounge Kittens @ Band on the Wall, Manchester
Amazing amazing amazing. Played for nearly 2 1/2 hours, first set with just the three of them then after an interval another set with a backing band. One Step Closer in particular was amazing with the band behind it. Been a fan for 6 years and so glad I finally got to see them. Track of the night - Gold Dust.

I saw them in London on Friday night at Union Chapel in Islington - a spectacular venue! It was also highly amusing that they played 'Gloryhole' in a church. One of them said "sorry Jesus" after the first line of the song. :lol: I'm sad to see them call it a day. They've entertained me a lot since I first saw them at Sonisphere 2014 and I managed to see them three times overall. Hopefully they'll follow in the footsteps of Motley Crue, Kiss, Scorpions and Judas Priest by changing their minds and coming back.

Next is Testament in Manchester.