Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Kylan_Paassa
Denim Demon

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby Kylan_Paassa » Thu May 30, 2013 12:21 am

Illwish wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:Swedish Death Metallers Insision at my local cover band club on thursday night,three quid on the door,they plaayed a blinder to about twenty people,including the support band,initially I was embarressed for them,until I spoke to the singer after the gig and he said that only two people paid to get in to their Birmingham gig a couple of nights before! Home of Metal my arse.
To be fair it must've been ridiculously badly promoted. Not that I'm a fan of the band but they played Bradford and I had no idea until I googled them just now.

they were fucking excellent in bradford and it was free. 25 there at best. they hung out with us after, probably one of the nicest bands ive met!
RedTeamWins wrote:
Turbo wrote:I presented the goods and I got no reply. Good job this isnt ebay.

A+++ EXCELLENT MOOBS, WOULD VIEW AGAIN.

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Thu May 30, 2013 12:40 am

Kylan_Paassa wrote:
Illwish wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:Swedish Death Metallers Insision at my local cover band club on thursday night,three quid on the door,they plaayed a blinder to about twenty people,including the support band,initially I was embarressed for them,until I spoke to the singer after the gig and he said that only two people paid to get in to their Birmingham gig a couple of nights before! Home of Metal my arse.
To be fair it must've been ridiculously badly promoted. Not that I'm a fan of the band but they played Bradford and I had no idea until I googled them just now.

they were fucking excellent in bradford and it was free. 25 there at best. they hung out with us after, probably one of the nicest bands ive met!

One day I want to turn up to a gig with a band i really like and be the only one there, mosh and headbang to all of the songs, then get drunk with the band :yes: Lifetime ambition.
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Thu May 30, 2013 12:09 pm

gandalf the red wrote:Next gig should be Old Corpse Road and some shit band with no fans in Manchester. :P

:lol:

:yes:
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu May 30, 2013 12:19 pm

Got afew coming up in the next few weeks: Andy Cairns tomorrow, Mudhoney and Bon Jovi next week, Danzig and ZZ Top later in the month.

'Twas also 20 years ago yesterday that I went to my first gig
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu May 30, 2013 12:22 pm

I went to the Scott Ian spoken word thing on Monday night, wasn't sure what I was going to get but damned if it didn't turn out to be a real fun evening. He spoke for about 2 and a half hours, including a very honest Q&A session plus had some really funny stories of his times with Lemmy, Dimebag and Slayer. Recommend it if anyone's unsure.

Illwish
Denim Demon

Postby Illwish » Thu May 30, 2013 2:31 pm

skull-wart wrote:One day I want to turn up to a gig with a band i really like and be the only one there, mosh and headbang to all of the songs, then get drunk with the band :yes: Lifetime ambition.
I've been pretty damn close a couple of times. Joey Belladonna played to 7 people in Leeds, and absolutely couldn't be more social, talked for ages. Blitzkrieg played to a few more (but apparently only got 2 paying punters in Grimsby).

You'd be lucky to be the only one. Only way that'd happen is if you booked the gig yourself and didn't let anyone else in :lol:

PoonLagoonGuy23
Consort of the Beast

Postby PoonLagoonGuy23 » Thu May 30, 2013 2:43 pm

It must be completely disheartening for a band to hit the stage and there to be like a handful of people though. I'd hate for that to happen to a band I really like. I turned up to Anterior here in Plym a couple of years ago and there was about 10 people there. Singer tried to keep a brave face but the rest of the band really didn't look like they wanted to be there.

wroed
Denim Demon

Postby wroed » Thu May 30, 2013 2:45 pm

skull-wart wrote:One day I want to turn up to a gig with a band i really like and be the only one there, mosh and headbang to all of the songs, then get drunk with the band :yes: Lifetime ambition.

Leeway at the Water Rats in London in November 1995 was my closest to being only person there. Aside from my then girlfriend and two other people, the only others there were the two mis-billed support bands who were indie so not interested. Label did no promotion whatsoever so nobody knew the gig was on. Pre-handy internet gig listings, I used to pop down WHSmiths and trawl through the gig guides in the music press. Found it listed in NME's weekely list and called venue just to double check it was them. Got chatting to Pokey the drummer and he couldn't believe nobody bothered to promote the show. Four days later I went to see Voivod at the Marquee and some friends though I was making it up that they'd played, however I was wearing the only a tour shirt Leeway sold in London.

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Thu May 30, 2013 2:48 pm

Have a few venues around me that open the gates for cheap tickets via several local promoters if tickets aren't selling well enough, or if they want the place rammed. Then it just gets shared around Facebook etc.

Makes much more sense to do that, so attendence is improved & drink and/or merch sales can still be made.

Been to more than a few gigs in the past, with less than 20 people present. Some venues just have appaling advertisement.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu May 30, 2013 3:26 pm

I saw Steve Grimmett's Seven Deadly Sins at The Underworld. The band (there were 5 of them) outnumbered the audience (only 4 of us). Even then, I think the others were on the guest list. I'm reasonably sure I was the only paying punter watching them. Which was a shame as they were really very good and deserved much better.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Illwish
Denim Demon

Postby Illwish » Thu May 30, 2013 3:45 pm

Tet wrote:I saw Steve Grimmett's Seven Deadly Sins at The Underworld.
Oh fuck that reminds me, I'm think there were 3 people other than my party who went to see Stevey G's Grim Reaper at the Hark 2 Towler in Bury in 2009. I really hope this London gig is considerably better attended than both of the above.

mathewxentrix88
Leather Rebel

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:28 pm

Saw a Whitesnake tribute band(Snakebite) in Colchester about three years ago with a total of 5 people in attendance.Still bloody good fun though.
Saw Blaze Bayley in a pub in Chelmsford a couple of years back with i think 12 people in total.Got to give them credit though-played a blinder and Blaze was as intense as ever.He could easily have pulled out or played a short,half baked set but instead gave it 100%(as always)-top man!
Last gig:Kreator/Evile/Xentrix/S.S.S(London)
Next gig:Powerquest/Dendera(London)-tomorrow!!

VirginInvader
Denim Demon

Postby VirginInvader » Thu May 30, 2013 5:08 pm

Illwish wrote:
Tet wrote:I saw Steve Grimmett's Seven Deadly Sins at The Underworld.
Oh fuck that reminds me, I'm think there were 3 people other than my party who went to see Stevey G's Grim Reaper at the Hark 2 Towler in Bury in 2009. I really hope this London gig is considerably better attended than both of the above.

I'm still gutted about having to miss that. Nearly everyone I know is going though, so there should be a reasonable turnout I reckon.
Seven Sisters - Proper Heavy Metal from London Town. Upcoming shows:

23/05 - Heavy Sound Festival, Poperinge, Belgium
18/07- Metalbrew, London
01/08 - The Black Heart, London
29/08- No Sleep 'Til Dublin

RainbowRising
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby RainbowRising » Thu May 30, 2013 5:17 pm

Illwish wrote:
skull-wart wrote:Blitzkrieg played to a few more (but apparently only got 2 paying punters in Grimsby).

maybe they booked a gig the samenight as something else...... :lol:

RainbowRising
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby RainbowRising » Thu May 30, 2013 5:20 pm

they were having a lot of problems booking that tour, lets hope the promoter didnt have to pay the guarantee outta his own pocket :/