Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby i0th » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:11 pm

Last: Drinkin' In Lincoln

Millie Manders & The Shutup - Oh man they were ace, loads of enery and great tracks, a brilliant band to open up.

Skarlett Riot - The sound mix was really poor early on so couldn't hear Chloe's voice, that said they were still really enjoyable and I'll be looking to catching their next tour.

Evil Scarecrow - Stupidly brilliant as always, danced like a loon. First time I've seen them since the new album and it's great that the setlist wasn't just gimmick track after gimmick track, roll on the BOA show!

Massive Wagon - ehhh, I just don't really get it. They're alright, played fine but just don't grab me.

Overall a cracking gig and looking forward to next year's event.

Next: Nothing booked in til Bloodstock though I am very tempted by The Hu in Manchester, as I had been hoping for a Sophie slot for them but doesn't look like it's happening.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

eyesore
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby eyesore » Sun May 05, 2019 11:58 am

Last - 8th time seeing Dead Can Dance at Hammersmith Apollo last night. Worst one so far. Brendan was so off key it was painful to watch. I don't think he can't sing anymore, he still has a powerful voice but yesterday was not his day.
Next: 9th time seeing Dead Can Dance also at Hammersmith Apollo tonight. I hope he recovers.

Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Postby Smerphy » Sun May 05, 2019 12:21 pm

Last: Juniper Grave - Solid performance shortly after the release of their debut album, I think they could grow a pretty sizeable following in a few years.

Next - Juniore - French Avant-Garde Pop Band, lots of 60s psychedelic and doo-wop influence
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Tue May 07, 2019 7:59 am

Last: The Wedding Present @ Norwich Arts Centre.
Bizzaro 30th anniversary tour and 29 years since I last saw them. This was an important album for me during my college years and the songs still sound vibrant today. Lost my shit in the mosh pit and it felt like my chest was going going to explode during "Kennedy". I definitely need to work on my fitness! :lol:

Next (at the moment): Metallica + Ghost @ Twickenham but I'll probably squeeze one or two more in between.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue May 07, 2019 10:21 am

gavdann wrote:Next:
Thursday 02 May 2019
FATHER BEFOULED
Krypts, Encoffination and Jupiterian

Boston Music Room, London, UK

How busy was it with Morbid Fest the same night?
I see the bad moon arising.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Tue May 07, 2019 10:44 am

eyesore wrote:Last - 8th time seeing Dead Can Dance at Hammersmith Apollo last night. Worst one so far. Brendan was so off key it was painful to watch. I don't think he can't sing anymore, he still has a powerful voice but yesterday was not his day.
Next: 9th time seeing Dead Can Dance also at Hammersmith Apollo tonight. I hope he recovers.

He seemed okay on Sunday. Apparently he was croaky all show, and really messed up on Xavier on Saturday, they didn't play it at all on Sunday annoyingly.

What's with that boring version of Song to the Siren they played? Nothing like the last tour or the In Concert album. Was waiting all show for that and it was the dullest thing they played.

^Encoffination wasn't very full, but not the smallest crowd I've ever seen in there.

My last two, really good time at each of them besides the songs mentioned of DCD. Next two in June are Svartidaudi and Possessed, though watching the money so might have to give one or both a miss.

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Tue May 07, 2019 2:54 pm

Ghost wrote:
gavdann wrote:Next:
Thursday 02 May 2019
FATHER BEFOULED
Krypts, Encoffination and Jupiterian

Boston Music Room, London, UK

How busy was it with Morbid Fest the same night?

I was feeling like shit on toast last week so didn't go to either in the end. Luckily I hadn't bought a ticket.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:49 pm

Busy Weekend for me

Last:
Savage Messiah London: The new album tracks sound amazing, hopefully they haven't killed off all their momentum with HoF; could see them pushing on with an album like this (though I thought the same with Evile's FST so what do I know :lol: )
Thrashersaurus: Great weekend, nice little mini festival in Norwich. Lots of good bands that I'll be keeping an eye on. Good show case for some smaller bands.

Next: Incineration festival

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed May 08, 2019 7:25 am

houston4044 wrote:Busy Weekend for me

Incineration festival

Knew they would clash Mayhem and Asphyx, glad I didn't get tickets for that.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Thu May 09, 2019 12:18 pm

Last - Desertfest. If not a vintage line-up, it was another great weekend bobbing between venues in Camden. Sunday at the Roundhouse was the pick of the days, with stellar sets from 5 of the best in the stoner rock crowd - Colour Haze, Earthless, All Them Witches, Witch and Fu Manchu - and a beefed up sound system after acknowledging the criticism of the sound last year. On Saturday it was great to see people I know in Elephant Tree getting a full house and classic doom from The Skull. Lakc of interest in the main bands meant a wander into the Black Heart to catch We Hunt Buffalo and Salems Bend. Friday had local Cheshire boys 1968 playing a decent set, the rest of the day was in the Underworld for a showcase from Riding easy Records, with great sets from RIP, Alastor, Blackwater Holylight, Zig Zags and Electric Citizen, which made up for the disappointments of Om and Wovenhand, both of whom I like on record. Roll on DF Antwerp in October.

Next - maybe catching a mates band, Sound of Origin in Bradford tomorrow, supporting Cities of Mars and High Priestess.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu May 09, 2019 12:44 pm

jwh20 wrote:

Incineration festival

Meh easy choice - Asphyx

Last - Swallow The Sun at underworld, beautiful evening of epic doom

Next - Incineration fest

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:38 am

bloodfiend wrote:
jwh20 wrote:

Incineration festival

Meh easy choice - Asphyx

Same here, didn't even need to give it a second thought.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Sun May 12, 2019 1:43 pm

Aside from seeing the Lounge Kittens at the end of March which was a belated xmas present for a friend (and actually quite a lot of fun), last gig was The Wildhearts last night at Leeds Uni. First up were Towers of London who I can't say I've ever had much time for after seeing them in 2005 when the whole set was over-shadowed by Donny Tourette acting like a dick but I was pleasantly surprised with them last night. Donny was much more affable and they played well - they actually seemed like a half-decent punk band and it's a shame because had they started out like this, they may have gotten somewhere.
Next up were Massive Wagons who I thought I'd never seen before (turns out according to my gig list I have seen them at a HRH event - obviously weren't that memorable) and I was impressed. High energy rock n roll band and whilst I probably wouldn't go out of my way to see them, I'd definitely watch them at a festival in the future.
The Wildhearts were excellent as has been the case whenever I've seen them in the last few years. The new songs sounded great and Ginger is a fantastic front-man. So many great songs that are made for a live setting; really fun night overall.

Next gig - Disturbed @ Manchester Apollo on Tuesday

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed May 15, 2019 9:08 am

Last gig - Disturbed @ Manchester Apollo last night.

Caught the last half of Skindred's set which was decent enough. They're good live and Benji is an entertaining front-man but I've seen them so many times now that aside from one of their members spontaneously combusting on stage I'm not sure what they could do to wow me any more.
Disturbed were very good and picked a great setlist. Perhaps not as good as when I saw them at Download a few years ago but a far cry from the band I walked out early on in this same venue back in 2008. The use of the big screen to highlight what help is available for people struggling with mental health issues was a nice touch too.

Next gig will be Rockfest Barcelona unless I make a last-minute decision to go to Download for the Friday.

eyesore
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby eyesore » Fri May 17, 2019 12:40 pm

Last: JAG PANZER at Camden Underworld. They are one of my favourite bands and it was their first time in London. It was my 4th time seeing them. Very poorly attended.
Next: probably Fleetwood Mac in London