Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:56 pm

Last: Metallica, twice: dublin and Manchester. Manc was great, but dublin was really special. I have to say Metallica have been playing better over the last 8 years than when I got into them in the 90`s.

Next: Kiss, Manchester.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:49 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:Last: Metallica, twice: dublin and Manchester. Manc was great, but dublin was really special. I have to say Metallica have been playing better over the last 8 years than when I got into them in the 90`s.

Blimey, must all have cost you a fortune.
I see the bad moon arising.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:14 pm

Ghost wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:Last: Metallica, twice: dublin and Manchester. Manc was great, but dublin was really special. I have to say Metallica have been playing better over the last 8 years than when I got into them in the 90`s.

Blimey, must all have cost you a fortune.

To be Frank, it really did. But me and my wife made a bit of a holiday out of the Dublin one, so the cost got absorbed into that.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:31 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:To be Frank, it really did. But me and my wife made a bit of a holiday out of the Dublin one, so the cost got absorbed into that.

Good Idea.

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:02 pm

I've got Twickenham tomorrow.

The scar above where my kidney used to be has almost healed.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:37 am

gavdann wrote:I've got Twickenham tomorrow.

The scar above where my kidney used to be has almost healed.

I couldn’t justify another one, but I can tell you there on amazing form!

gavdann

Postby gavdann » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:26 am

metaldinosaur wrote:I couldn’t justify another one, but I can tell you there on amazing form!

It was a big flashy show and Met put on a solid professional performance but I didn't enjoy it as much my last gig on their Death Magnetic tour. For some reason the newer stuff (Black album onwards) sounded really good but the 80's classics sounded sloppy. I don't even think I can level the blame at Lars because his beat sounded solid. In my wholly unprofessional opinion, the guitars sounded out of sync during parts of Ride and Master. James vocals were really good though. That was a definite plus. He even hit the high parts (admittedly with what sounded like a vocal effect) during Ride. I'd say the highlights for me were Unforgiven and Harvester but the encore was weak: Lords of Summer, Nothing Else Matters (James vocally great but I've never liked the song) and Sandman. I'm sorry but Seek is a better song to finish the gig with. I'm glad I went (despite the cost) but I had a very definite feeling of this was going to be my last ever Met gig.

Ghost were excellent but wasted on that crowd. Most of the crowd around me just didn't seem to understand what was going on. Also their sound was very so-so and too quiet. They played AC/DC's "It's A Long Way to the Top" before Met came on and it sounded louder than Ghost.

Bokassa were OK but not a band I'd go out of my way to see again.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:34 pm

That's interesting to hear. As I said Ireland was the best gig, but One, in Manchester, was the best I've heard it - and I've heard it about 10 times live. You are right though, I think Guitar fuck ups are far more frequent than the drums nowadays.

gavdann

Postby gavdann » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:11 am

metaldinosaur wrote:That's interesting to hear. As I said Ireland was the best gig, but One, in Manchester, was the best I've heard it - and I've heard it about 10 times live. You are right though, I think Guitar fuck ups are far more frequent than the drums nowadays.

Thinking more, it could have been echo. You get quite a lot of echo in stadiums and perhaps was just more noticeable during the faster songs.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:53 pm

Last - Black Deer Festival, Tunbridge Wells. Not really anything I'd usually consider, an Americana festival rated by The Guardian with Radio 2 country pop like The Shires headlining, but friends who run Desertfest had a stage this year, and a decent bill with Brandt Bjork, Yawning Man, Vintage Caravan, King Buffalo, Duel, Stubb, Asteroid all made the trip worthwhile. Some attractions on the other stages were Lucero, Alabama 3 and a genuine legend in Kris Kristofferson (playing on his 83rd Birthday!), plus new finds in the Allmans-esque Sheepdogs and the ho-down friendly Dead South. Great weather made it a great weekend, good food and a great set up - stage sound was really good throughout (can't help feeling BoA could mimic this by spreading it's name band's over 2 stages with longer sets instead of clogging up the main stage and getting presumably cut price band's on the Sophie). Was also fun seeing the country fans stumbling into 'our music'and a group trying to work out dance steps to Clutch in the disco afterwards!
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:38 pm

Last: Demons and wizards. Amazing performance. Great night. Would of preferred one well known support act.

Next: The goddamn gallows....or maybe ministry (just waiting for a UK setlist to be posted).

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:08 pm

Last weekend I saw Gojira in Birmingham and then Demons & Wizards in London on Sunday. Both shows were great. Gojira was very sweaty and D&W a little more civilized but an impressive performance nonetheless. I got one of Jon Schaffer's picks too. Dendera played well as D&W's support but I agree with Ghost that a better known support band would have been preferable. Rolo Tomassi supported Gojira and were boring.

Next is Iron Maiden in Montreal, three days before Bloodstock. Why do I do this?

gavdann

Postby gavdann » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:34 am

Eradication's Deathfest yesterday at the Black Heart.

A cracking day of death metal. Met some cool dudes and dudettes. Band highlights for me were Twitch of the Death Nerve, NervoChaos, Desecration and Severe Torture.

TofDN are playing again later this year with Carnation so I'll probably be getting another chance to these soupy sounding, heavy as fuck mofos. NervoChaos followed two slam bands, which probably explains why the good sized crowd weren't as enthusiastic as I thought they deserved. Personally I love their groovy, slightly punky, old-school DM. I think this was Desecration's first gig for several years. The singer said they were unprepared, unrehearsed and uncensored. They tore that shit up! The Black Heart probably saved the best until last. Severe Torture were brutal as fuck, had the best sound and smashed it. Awesome set!

Next for me is Dylan and Neil Young in Hyde Park on Friday. Talk about a change of direction! 8)

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:37 am

Much busier than fleshcrawl?

gavdann

Postby gavdann » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:59 am

Ghost wrote:Much busier than fleshcrawl?

Definitely. Don't think it was sold out but there was a nice sized crowd.