Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby Ghost » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:31 am

gavdann wrote:
Ghost wrote:Much busier than fleshcrawl?

Definitely. Don't think it was sold out but there was a nice sized crowd.

I can imagine being the only one there for skeletal remains :lol: Incantation is the day before and deicide the day after. Also it's bloodstock weekend.
I see the bad moon arising.

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:45 pm

We go on holiday 11th Aug so I can't go to any of them. :(

Next metal gig isn't until Tomb Mold in September at the moment.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:28 pm

gavdann wrote:We go on holiday 11th Aug so I can't go to any of them. :(

Next metal gig isn't until Tomb Mold in September at the moment.

You'll have to let me know what that Nambucca venue is like after.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:34 pm

Last gig - Rock Fest Barcelona last weekend.

5th time in a row for us at this festival and it's still the best festival I've ever been to: The location (combined with the transport network in Barcelona), the food & drink options (including the reasonable prices and generous spirit measures), the line-up, the weather, everything about it is just so much better than any other festival I've attended.

Watched too many bands to mention over the weekend but the stand-outs were definitely Demons & Wizards, King Diamond, Gamma Ray, Powerwolf, Hammerfall, Saxon and (believe it or not) Venom! Had a couple of nice days on the beach too.

4 days this year did feel a bit long in that heat and we were pretty knackered by the end of it so despite the price rise I'm kinda glad it's gone back down to 3 days.

Next gig - Kiss

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:35 pm

Last. The goddamn gallows at the unicorn Camden. This got moved from the underworld today and I decided not to go because I've never been to the unicorn and it's not near a tube. Changed my mind last minute after working out the bus route which was great and easy.
Was a great night. Good band and certainly different. Unicorn was actually a nice venue and pints less than four quid which I was shocked by in London ha ha.

Next. Gama Bomb at Camden underworld.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Last: Demons & Wizards
Next: either Gruesome, or Bloodstock.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:06 am

Last gig - Kiss @ Manchester Arena

Due to the insane demand for tickets, we only managed to get seats right at the back of the 2nd tier but when it comes to a show with as many visual elements as Kiss, that isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Decided to skip the painter guy supporting as, as talented as he may be, there's no way I'm gonna sit in a boiling hot arena literally watching paint dry when I can be sat in a beer garden on a nice summer's evening.
Kiss put on an excellent show as they always do. Is it camp and ridiculous? Of course it is but it's always fun and I knew every song so there was no lull in the set. People can spout all the blah blah they want about Paul's voice not being what it used to be, but it was good enough for me and we had a great time. Hopefully we'll get another festival appearance before they really decide to call it quits.

Next gig - Mushroomhead @ Brudenell Social Club in Leeds.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:32 am

Last gig - Mushroomhead last night at the Brudenell in Leeds.

Skipped the supports so just went in for Mushroomhead. Was a pretty fun nostalgia trip back to my late teens; shame they only played for about an hour with no encore although they did come straight out to meet everyone, take photos, etc. and seemed like nice guys.

Next gig - Bloodstock

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:08 am

Last gig was Fields of the Nephilim in Nottingham. Brilliant gig; alot more moshing than I anticipated! A bit sweaty though as it was 30 degrees in Notts that day.

Next stop Bloodstock!

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:56 am

Last was Gefle festival in Sweden at the weekend.

First time at this particular fest and have to say it was awesome. Would highly recommend if the line up suits. Smaller than bloodstock, I’d say up to 10,000 but great set up in the arena. 2 big stages facing each other with alternating performances (something bloodstock seriously lacks) and then a smaller indoor 3rd stage in the old gasworks building. Loads of benches and tables for drinking down the side with perfect view of both stages then a big seperate food area again with loads of seating. Weather was perfect , 22 all three days I was there with no rain. Gavle is a great city too, just an hour north of Stockholm Arlanda on the train. And Swedish people are just about the friendliest in the world.

Bands were great too. Band of the weekend had to be Evergrey. I’m biased but they absolutely nailed it, their live sound is spot on and I can’t see how the Atlantic isn’t going to be album of the year for me. And stand out performances by Nervosa, Jungle Rot, Kataklysm, Dimmu Borgir and Dark Tranquillity. Also enjoyed watching sets by Gruesome, Eluveitie, Satyricon, Dying Fetus, Equilibrium, Flotsam and jetsam, wolfheart, Carach Angren, Phil Anselmo, legion of the damned, entombed and Deathstars.
Only pants performance of the weekend was Ministry but never been into them.
All in all top few days away.

Next will be Friday of Bloodstock unless I make a last minute decision to go to Gruesome in London.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:33 pm

Last few:
Massive Wagons (Chester) - Good Saturday night turn out with 5 bands for 13 quid - the undercard was mainly bands that tour up and down and may get C listed on Planet Rock, pick of the bunch was Tequiila Mockingbird. Massive Wagons just do their spin on Quo meets UFO and do it very well.

The Wildhearts (Liverpool) - First time I seen them since the album came out, and on the day they were announced for BOA. Played a blinder, even with one having a groin strain, one with a hernia and one with one leg! New songs like Dislocated are ragged and aggressive and should go down well in August. I remember openers Last Great Dreamers in the pages of Kerrang 20 years ago, with their Noddy Holder suits, and they've aged pretty well. The Lazys should also go down well at BOA, and Aussie ACDC type band who wandering guitarist played ontop of both bars.

The Obsessed (Manchester) - Far better gig than last year - much clearer and sharper. Set was mostly based on Church Within and the recent Sacred, leaving little from the first 2 albums. Bong Cauldron are not my usual cup of doom, but decent enough send off for the band who are disbanding. PIST were as feral as usual, new stuff sounded great. First time seeing Alunah with their new singer, not that they were bad before but they're much better than I remember.

Weedeater (London) - never been keen on the headliners - friends swear by them but their charms are elusive. While they were better then last time, it became tedious after a while. Main reason for going (and engineering work so I could go) was seeing friends back together as Trippy Wicked and The Knights of The Cosmic Children - first time for a few years and they were great with all new tunes and stoner crew ASG were great.

Next - Crobot tonight
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:11 pm

Last: Anathema in Liverpool Grand Central Hall. Well worth the trek due to the smattering of old stuff in the set. Support was by Vola, who played well, but didn't set the world on fire for me.

Next: unless anything comes up in the meantime it's Bloodstock
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:30 pm

Oh my God it's the Methodists....

It used to be a good venue before they did it up in the 1990s. Saw all kinds of different bands in there from Snowy White to Cro Mags.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:15 am

I liked the venue - never been there before. The WHs only had the stalls open, but having been I would have liked to have seen Anathema in there the following night- reminded me of the Albert Hall in Manchester. Always good to go to a venue where a pint is closer to 3 quid - almost unheard of anywhere else.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Last: Iron Maiden in Montreal on Monday night (or Tuesday morning UK time). Got home at 11:30pm yesterday. That was the fifth time I saw the Legacy of the Beast show and it is still awesome. The atmosphere was incredible too. Mosh pits throughout the whole of Maiden's set! Apparently Metal shows in Montreal always have a fantastic atmosphere. Bruce also spoke in French for the entire show. The locals loved it, but I didn't have a fucking clue what he was saying and neither did the rest of the band.

Next gig: Bloodstock. Anyone else going?