Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:49 pm

Last gig - went to see Wind Rose & Beast in Black in Manchester (didn't stay for Gloryhammer - opted for the early train home instead). Enjoyed Wind Rose, although not being a Minecraft player I wasn't as bothered as some clearly were about the 'Diggy Hole' song but Beast in Black was the sole reason I was there. Not as good as when they supported Nightwish as the sound wasn't fantastic but still good fun.

Next gig - Damnation Festival in Leeds

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:28 am

My last gig was Killswitch Engage in Birmingham at the Academy. I'm glad I finally got to see them headline again after first seeing them in January 2007. I enjoyed them a lot and it helped knowing every song at least pretty well - the old "classics" like 'Rose of Sharyn' and 'The End of Heartache' were great of course. Even though the setlist was good it was shorter than expected at only 80 minutes instead of 90, but they at least played 'As Sure as the Sun will Rise' off the new album for the first time ever which was nice. The supports sucked, particularly Revocation.

For my next gig I will be back at the same venue in Birmingham seeing Thrice & Refused co-headline. I don't care much for Refused but I was a big fan of Thrice when I was younger so I've been making up for lost time by seeing them multiple times over the least few years.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:09 am

Last: Black Ice in Ashington a few weeks ago

Next: Twister, Wildthörn & Nephilim in Middlesbrough on Friday, mainly going for Wildthörn but will check the other two out too.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Last gig: I saw Thrice and Refused co-headline at the Birmingham Academy on Saturday. It was a nice enough gig but tickets didn't seem to sell particularly well so the atmosphere was a bit limp. The opening band, Gouge Away, were very dull. Refused were entertaining from a performance and stage presence point of view, despite their music being a bit rubbish. The singer's mic-twirling skills were impressive, but his anti-capitalist rant was quite silly. He was performing in a venue owned/sponsored by a massive telecoms company which itself is owned by an even bigger telecoms company. Tickets for the gig were mainly sold on Ticketmaster - an inherently dodgy organization. Long live the revolution? Thrice played well and I liked the setlist but they are not the most engaging of performers and could have done with looking at the crowd a bit more and actually speaking for more than 3 seconds between songs. I might stop going to see them now after that show as I've probably made up for the lack of being able to see them when I was a teenager.

Next is Beyond the Black at The Dome on Thursday.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:12 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Refused were entertaining from a performance and stage presence point of view, despite their music being a bit rubbish. The singer's mic-twirling skills were impressive, but his anti-capitalist rant was quite silly. He was performing in a venue owned/sponsored by a massive telecoms company which itself is owned by an even bigger telecoms company. Tickets for the gig were mainly sold on Ticketmaster - an inherently dodgy organization. Long live the revolution?

Most major venues in this country are owned or at least sponsored by large private businesses and Ticketmaster pretty much have a monopoly on any and all tickets sold for these venues - not like he's got much of a choice if he wants to reach a large amount of people at once.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:13 pm

Last: Cradle in London. Great gig. I would say the current lineup is the best live band they have ever had.

Next: Damnation festival. Loads of stuff I want to see. As long as I don't pick up my wife's awful cold I should have a great time.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

red_death
Definitely Not Nu

Postby red_death » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:13 pm

Last gig: Rotting Christ/Moonspell. RC were excellent and appeared to be more popular (in terms of crowd numbers) than the headliner. Islington Assembly Hall is a pretty nice venue when it isn't actually quite full to capacity - room to move around and easy access to bars while being small enough that even from the back you're still close-ish to the stage. Moonspell - so/so, not a massive fan and as I said it felt like quite a few RC fans left as there was more space.

Next gig: not sure, possibly Amon Amarth

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:43 pm

Last- yesterday: Blood Red Throne, Red Method, This is Endless and Deception at the Black Heart.
Blood Red Throne were ace. As were Deception- Great Old School Death Metal.
Next is Immolation/Ragnarok - Boston Arms

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:03 pm

Last - Moonspell and Rotting Christ on Tuesday. Crowd went nuts for Rotting Christ. 3rd time seeing them this year, nice to see them indoors. Crowd were a bit stand off ish for Moonspell but a few Portuguese next to me were having the time of their lives. Liked hearing the 1755 stuff live and then ended with a few of the old classics. Great night.

Next - Lacuna Coil and Eluveitie at the forum. First gig with the Mrs in attendance since May of last year.

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:34 pm

Last: Cattle Decapitation tonight at Venue 229
CD were awesome, the supports were gash. New venue and I'm undecided whether I like it or not. I liked the high stage but it felt a bit like a school assembly hall. The new CD tracks sounded great, I'm dead excited about hearing the new album.

Next: Ghost in a few weeks at Wembley
Cant believe how quickly that's come around.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:21 am

gavdann wrote:Last: Cattle Decapitation tonight at Venue 229
CD were awesome, the supports were gash. New venue and I'm undecided whether I like it or not. I liked the high stage but it felt a bit like a school assembly hall. The new CD tracks sounded great, I'm dead excited about hearing the new album.

Last gig: Cattle Decapitation at 229

I thought The Brood and CD were great, Osiah were awful; the worst stereotypes of deathcore rolled into one. Although saying that, quite a lot of the crowd liked them.
Agree with you on the venue can't make my mind up on it; if it had air conditioning it would be a lot better, got so hot towards the end of CD :lol:

Next Gig: Machine Head at Brixton

I just hope the he lets the music do the talking

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:46 am

houston4044 wrote:I thought The Brood and CD were great, Osiah were awful

I hated them both but I really don't like deathcore. Wish I'd stayed at the pub for longer instead. The Brood's drummer looked like he was recording a demo with those big cans on his head and both bands had that horrible ping-pong drum sound I associate with a lot of deathcore bands.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:25 am

My last gig was Beyond the Black at The Dome by Tufnell Park underground station on Halloween.The support band, Mister Misery from Sweden, played quite well but their music is a bit naff. They wear a load of make-up which just makes me think they're a discount version of Kiss or Alice Cooper (but actually sound nothing like either). Beyond the Black were a lot of fun. They're so poppy they make Delain seem like Slayer. I'd been waiting since early 2017 when they supported Epica to see them again and it was well worth the wait.

I also saw that Tet was there. The man is omnipresent at Metal gigs.

Next is Halestorm in Nottingham in three weeks.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:25 am

Double post, sorry.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am

Last gig - Damnation Festival

Saw MGLA, A Pale Horse Named Death, Mayhem and Opeth. Not being much of a black metal fan I watched MGLA due to a friend of mine wanting to see them and I actually thought they were pretty decent - shame we only found out about the NSBM accusations afterward which put a bit of a taint on things. Pale Horse I was pleasantly surprised by, was a nice change of pace for Damnation and reminded me of a mixture of Paradise Lost and Alice in Chains - will be checking their albums out now for sure.
Mayhem were complete shite as usual regardless of the sound issues and Opeth as talented as they are, are just flat-out boring to me. Ah well, can't complain as I got guest-list in the end. Hopefully the bullshit no re-entry rule and the subsequent confusion that caused will be resolved next year.

Next gig - Dragonforce tonight @ Leeds Uni