Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby i0th » Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:20 am

gavdann wrote:
i0th wrote:Not Razorlight now

That's a blessing in disguise if you ask me. :lol:

It's no great personal loss, they're the mrs' favourite band though so seen them plenty of times.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:46 am

i0th wrote:
gavdann wrote:
i0th wrote:Not Razorlight now

That's a blessing in disguise if you ask me. :lol:

It's no great personal loss, they're the mrs' favourite band though so seen them plenty of times.

I have a very similar situation with the 90s indi band Gomez. If it wasn't for Paradise Lost's heavy touring schedule, they would be my most watched band.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Nov 29, 2019 9:48 am

Last gig - Battle Beast @ Manchester Club Academy
Caught most of the support band - Cyhra - who were pretty good. Standard power metal fare, but had enough cheesy sing-a-long songs to keep me interested. Battle Beast were excellent as usual - new album isn't as good as their previous but still had a brilliantly cheesy fun time.

Next gig - Amon Amarth @ Manchester Apollo

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:49 am

metaldinosaur wrote:I have a very similar situation with the 90s indi band Gomez. If it wasn't for Paradise Lost's heavy touring schedule, they would be my most watched band.

I feel for you both. I saw Gomez a couple of times in the 90's at festivals and they were pretty dull.

My good lady isn't too fussed about going to gigs these days but having Razorlight as her favourite band would probably be grounds for divorce! :lol:

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:31 pm

Last - Ronnie Wood, Manchester - Like Iggy Pop last week, I'm still amazed at the energy some of these pensioner rock stars have. Unlike Iggy tho', Ronnie is very much a 'sideman', playing foil to Jagger and Rod and despite making decent albums of his own, he's not much of a live singer. Things perked up when Imelda May came on as singer and got some life out of the crowd.

Next - Wildhearts tonight
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:23 pm

Last: Sumo Cyco in the Camden Underworld. Fun show from Sumo Cyco. The support acts were a bit naff though. The Underworld appears to have received a lick of paint since I last visited. The damn pillars are still annoying though.

Next: Thursday on, er, Monday at the Electric Ballroom.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:58 am

Last: Desaster/Root/Archgoat/Mork
Good gig. Enjoyed Mork, Archgoat were great once the sound man found the volume dial and despite the singer having to give up on his bass towards the end, Root were like some weird black metal pantomime and Desaster were terrific. A great end to what was quite a dull weekend.

Next: I'm seeing the Wonderstuff with some old college mates in a couple of weeks for a bit of nostalgia and then it's Orange Goblin, Discharge & Hellripper on the 20th.

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:28 pm

Last couple: Sacred Reich at the Underworld. Great show, superb. Great setlist. Night Demon were decent enough too.
Amon Amarth at Birmingham. From the underworld one night to an over full academy the next. Forgot how much im getting less of a fan of the bigger shows. Couldn’t move around the venue comfortably, plus still feeling a tad hungover from night before. Arch enemy had a good sound, enjoyed them after lost interest with them over recent years.
As ever, Amon Amarth delivered a great performance and the new album tracks were great live.just not down the front as normal due to fore mentioned hangover.

Next - Kataklysm at the electric ballroom

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:32 pm

Last couple of gigs - Amon Amarth at Manchester Apollo & HRH Vikings II at Sheffield Academy

Couldn't be arsed leaving the pub early enough to catch Hypocrisy so by the time we got in the venue it was nearly time for Arch Enemy. AE were better than I expected, really tight, very good performance. After seeing Ghost waste their opportunity to make the most of the bigger stage last week at Leeds Arena, Amon Amarth's performance was exactly the opposite - they absolutely smashed it. One of the best stage shows I've ever seen and one of the best all-round performances of the year for me.

Then straight to Sheffield for HRH Vikings II at the Academy. Watched the last few bands each night as the tickets were cheap so didn't feel the need to spend ages in the venue (the bar prices in there are fucking ridiculous; absolute piss-take). Enjoyed Skyclad although putting them in the small room upstairs was clearly the wrong decision as the room was rammed and many folk couldn't actually get in. Elvenking & Heidevolk were probably my favourite 2 bands of the weekend but every band we watched (aside from Moonsorrow who I've always found rather boring) I really enjoyed. Really good option for a cheap little weekend away with friends.

Next gig - Alter Bridge @ Nottingham Arena

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:20 am

I saw the seminal Emo band Thursday (a band I'm sure Bloodstock attendees are huge fans of) at the Electric Ballroom on Monday. They played their album 'War All The Time' in full so it was nice to revisit my teenage years and catch a band I didn't manage to see when I was younger. The support act was a guy called Chris from another Emo band called Saves The Day. He played a solo set with an electric, rather than acoustic, guitar which was rather odd and his vocals are that horrible whiny, generic Emo style. He seems like a decent guy, but I don't think even teenage me would have ever listened to them. It was a slightly strange experience going to a gig like this as very few people arrive before the doors open, but at Metal gigs there's still a huge queue moving through fifteen minutes after doors.

Next is British Lion at the Islington Academy followed by Alter Bridge at the O2 Arena the next night. All after a work trip to San Francisco next week.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:11 pm

Last gig was Uriah Heep and Diamond Head at Norwich UEA last night. Both bands were excellent - big fan of Heeps lighting on the drumkit and the singers microphone holster. :lol: Bit of a rubbish turnout and me and my mate were probably the youngest there, but Heep still looked thrilled to be there and we got chatting to alot of friendly older folk. :) All in all, a great night.

Next gig will probably be Insomnium and Conjurer in January. I've totalled 13 gigs this year; not too shabby!

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:44 pm

last: Bokassa and Puppy at the Camden underworld. A bit miffed when I turned up because it was advertised as a co headlining thing but then puppy played 45 minutes and bokassa over an hour. Puppy are one of my fav bands. They had a poor sound tonight though and the setlist was too focused on the mini album they released a couple of weeks ago. Bokassa were fantastic. Such a fun band live. Love it when a band loves what they're doing. Singer is a funny guy.

Next: Municipal waste + toxic holocaust + enforcer + skeletal remains on Sunday . I like all four bands so this will be exhausting.
I see the bad moon arising.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:38 pm

Ghost wrote:
Next: Municipal waste + toxic holocaust + enforcer + skeletal remains on Sunday . I like all four bands so this will be exhausting.

Mental!!!

Next: At the gates + Nifelheim in Camden
I see the bad moon arising.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:50 am

Last: Devin Townsend, Glasgow. Outstanding as always.
Next: Rock Meets Classic, Berlin (March 2020).
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:36 am

Last: The Wonder Stuff
Great night. Played all of Hup and The Eight Legged Groove Machine but in no particular order. For me that idea works much better than the typical reproducing an album in full type shows.

Next: Orange Goblin, Discharge and Hellripper
Final gig of the year. Can't wait for this one.