Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Re: Last Gig/Next Gig Thread

Postby gazsetsfire » Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:46 am

Last couple:

Unearth/Prong/Dust Bolt - ULU, London.
Not a fan of this venue but was only half full tonight so no probs, easy access to bar and toilets. Been wanting to see Dust Bolt for ages, shame they only got half an hour but enjoyed them. Prong, knew very little about, dragged on a bit, took them 40 minutes for changeover then played 65 minutes. Always was an unearth fan from the oncoming storm days, 16 years ago back in my younger days. Played a strong set, never varies much, but glad I made the trip through the gales and the potential storm damage to the train lines.

Destruction/Legion of the Damed/Suicidal Angels/Final Breath - 013, Tilburg (Holland)
Been looking forward to this for ages. Obviously booked long before I knew the thrash alliance was also coming to the U.K. love the city of Tilburg and 013 is a superb venue. Made the trip out that morning on Eurostar and was in Tilburg by 12.40. Good to see Final Breath, bought a couple of their albums back in about 07 but they never seem very active as a band. Suicidal angels were superb. 4 songs from their newest album (the superb Years of Aggression) and then usuals. Nice to see them get 50 minutes set despite being on 2nd. Loads of SA t shirts in the crowd too, went down a storm. Legion of the Damned, 10th time seeing them, but first time indoors since about 2012. Again fair chunk of songs from their newest album and expected rousing response playing in their home country. And then finally Destruction....... we’ll what can I say.... amazing. Sound was immense. Second guitarist has definitely took them up a notch. 4 songs from Born to perish and then the usual classics.... Curse the gods, Bestial invasion, Tormentor, Thrash till death, nailed to the cross etc. Can’t wait to see them in April. Fair t shirt prices too, 20 euros for all bands and 35 for hoodies. Got myself 2 shirts. Expect them to be 20 quid when they are over here in April, which in this day and age is good. All in all, great trip, arrived back yesterday tea time.

Next - the Visigoth double nighter at the Black Heart in a couple of weeks

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Feb 23, 2020 5:56 pm

I went to both Dream Theater shows at the Hammersmith Apollo on Friday and Saturday. That wasn't initially the plan as I was considering selling my Friday ticket after getting a much better seat for Saturday, but it looked like too much hassle to bother trying. It was definitely worth going for both nights as the band were on fire and 'Scenes From A Memory' in its entirety was outstanding live. All those big hitting songs - 'Beyond This Life', 'Home', 'One Last Time' and 'The Spirit Carries On' - were fantastic love and it was definitely the best atmosphere I've experienced at a Dream Theater show (these two were my eight and ninth DT shows). 'Home', which is my favourite DT song, was especially awesome and it's always a treat to watch John Petrucci at work.

Next is The Lounge Kittens' penultimate show at Union Chapel in Islington on Friday. Something a little different.

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:00 pm

yep, was also at both nights, and loved every second of it - especially on the second night when i found myself in the middle of the front row. my seat was in row b, so was expecting it to be the second row, but row a was removed for the cameras. Through Her Eyes was my highlight.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:03 pm

Last: Lindemann + Aesthetic Perfection. Aesthetic Perfection are one of my favourite bands, they put on a good show as always but I'd say 99% of the crowd had no idea who they were so no one was really dancing.
Lindemann were good and he certainly needs some sort of counselling for his depraved ways :lol: .The videos in the background were just him acting out his perverted fantasies . Could of done without the band throwing full size chocolate cakes at the audience and one landing on my head but hey ho.

Next: Probably Testament or Rose Tattoo.
I see the bad moon arising.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:43 pm

Last: Fontaines D.C./Toy at the Norwich UEA

Next: The Jesus and Mary Chain at the Roundhouse

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:03 pm

i0th wrote:Last: The Lounge Kittens @ Band on the Wall, Manchester
Amazing amazing amazing. Played for nearly 2 1/2 hours, first set with just the three of them then after an interval another set with a backing band. One Step Closer in particular was amazing with the band behind it. Been a fan for 6 years and so glad I finally got to see them. Track of the night - Gold Dust.

I saw them in London on Friday night at Union Chapel in Islington - a spectacular venue! It was also highly amusing that they played 'Gloryhole' in a church. One of them said "sorry Jesus" after the first line of the song. :lol: I'm sad to see them call it a day. They've entertained me a lot since I first saw them at Sonisphere 2014 and I managed to see them three times overall. Hopefully they'll follow in the footsteps of Motley Crue, Kiss, Scorpions and Judas Priest by changing their minds and coming back.

Next is Testament in Manchester.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:21 pm

Last gig - Grand Magus @ Manchester Academy 3
Wolf were the only support for this gig - not a huge fan by any means but they were decent enough. Not amazing but not bad either. Grand Magus, despite not playing anything off my favourite album of theirs (Sword Songs), were still very good.

Next gig - Therapy? @ Manchester Ritz

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:11 pm

Blaze Bayley's iron maiden set at burr fest. I managed to see Elixir too, for the first time, and they were great,. Sometimes nwobhm bands are past it, but not them, they sounded great! Blaze Maiden on record isn't my favourite, but those songs always sound amazing live, like totally transformed. It was fucking brilliant! I would recommend anyone to go see the maiden set if they can.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:12 pm

Last: Testament/Exodus/Death Angel in Manchester. Each band was great. I love the energy of Thrash shows and the venue was good too. After all the sweat and close proximity we all probably have coronavirus now. Worth it.

Next: probably going a free gig in Reading on Wednesday with a band called Marisa and the Moths.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:27 pm

Last: Anvil in Halifax (of all places!). They were a lot of fun, ergo, pretty much what I expected.

Next: fuck knows. Something after the rage virus zombies have starved to death.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:53 am

Black Wizard wrote:Last: Testament/Exodus/Death Angel in Manchester. Each band was great. I love the energy of Thrash shows and the venue was good too. After all the sweat and close proximity we all probably have coronavirus now. Worth it.

Including the band members it seems. Will Carroll is in intensive care. Personally I'm glad I didn't go despite having a ticket.
I see the bad moon arising.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Mar 22, 2020 12:52 pm

Ghost wrote:Including the band members it seems. Will Carroll is in intensive care. Personally I'm glad I didn't go despite having a ticket.

Yeah I read about that. Gary Holt has been ill too but seems to be doing OK. I hope Will Carroll pulls through and I'm a bit worried for Chuck Billy since he's a cancer survivor - throat cancer too.
Black Wizard wrote:Next: probably going a free gig in Reading on Wednesday with a band called Marisa and the Moths.

So I did go to this and it was was really good.

Both gigs I was supposed to go to in London next month have been cancelled: Dakesis/Fury and Turilli/Lione Rhapsody with Cellar Darling. The next scheduled is the first ever Illumishade (Fabienne Erni's (Eluviete) new band) show in Zurich over the late May bank holiday, but I don't see that going ahead. I'm sure Download Festival will go too, and the two other Iron Maiden shows I bought tickets for plus the Sepultura show in Cardiff. I reckon the whole Iron Maiden tour will go (Australia and NZ have gone) along with the entire festival season.