The 'Who we are photo thread' part 2

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Re: The 'Who we are photo thread' part 2

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:44 pm

You were doing so well, and you do get partial credit for Baps, but I shan't stand for denouncing the Barm.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

miss-mushroom
Definitely Not Nu

Postby miss-mushroom » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:02 pm

Defender of the barm, are you?
In all fairness I believe the word is widely used in north west England, but just not the north west England I'm from, perhaps I'm too far north and too far west.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:16 pm

I am, I'm barmy about calling them that you might say.... Though to be honest I do flit between bap and barm. I think it depends if there's something on it. It's a bap until filled, when it becomes a barm.

Just for the record, I don't particularly care a massive amount (before you pen me down as the bread wierdo), I just thought we needed some initiation questions, so picked a few hotly debated topics. :p

De Stijl
Leather Rebel

Postby De Stijl » Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:27 am

miss-mushroom wrote:(side note: someone told me southerners don't do gravy / curry sauce on chips, please tell me that's bollocks)

Complete and utter bullshit.
Curry sauce is in every fish and chip shop in the south. You will get looked at a bit funny if you ask for gravy on chips, but I'm pretty sure everyone has that dirty little secret meal behind locked doors. Mostly when more suitable forms of potato have gone extinct from possession, and people can't be bothered to forage in the fields of tesco.
RYM LastFM FaceBook

Delightful-Jim wrote:Feelings are for queers.

miss-mushroom
Definitely Not Nu

Postby miss-mushroom » Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:52 am

De Stijl wrote:
miss-mushroom wrote:(side note: someone told me southerners don't do gravy / curry sauce on chips, please tell me that's bollocks)

Curry sauce is in every fish and chip shop in the south. You will get looked at a bit funny if you ask for gravy on chips, but I'm pretty sure everyone has that dirty little secret meal behind locked doors. Mostly when more suitable forms of potato have gone extinct from possession, and people can't be bothered to forage in the fields of tesco.

Well, the person who told me this DOES have a tendency to spout off any old rubbish that they may or may not have heard from someone somewhere one time, as if it's complete fact.

I'm glad to hear this is untrue and I can enjoy my chips drenched in some form of delicious sauce if I ever pop down the southern way.

Slev
Paster of Muppets

Postby Slev » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:22 am

miss-mushroom wrote:And that's spooky indeed, how do you know it's definitely not me? =P

1. She's got a different name;
2. She lives in Manchester;
3. She's Danish;
4. She's never been to BOA.

So, unless you're lying about who you are...

miss-mushroom wrote:I'm glad to hear this is untrue and I can enjoy my chips drenched in some form of delicious sauce if I ever pop down the southern way.

I've been to places where they don't have gravy and/or peas and/or puddings in the chippy.

I've been to places where they have weird names for every-day products in the chippy and elsewhere, not just calling balmcakes something else.

miss-mushroom
Definitely Not Nu

Postby miss-mushroom » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:19 pm

Slev wrote:
miss-mushroom wrote:And that's spooky indeed, how do you know it's definitely not me? =P

1. She's got a different name;
2. She lives in Manchester;
3. She's Danish;
4. She's never been to BOA.

So, unless you're lying about who you are...

Haha nope I do not lie, I was just being silly. =)
Also you should bring her to BoA.

AnnihiSlateR wrote:I am, I'm barmy about calling them that you might say.... Though to be honest I do flit between bap and barm. I think it depends if there's something on it. It's a bap until filled, when it becomes a barm.

Just for the record, I don't particularly care a massive amount (before you pen me down as the bread wierdo), I just thought we needed some initiation questions, so picked a few hotly debated topics. :p

Barmy about barms eh... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I was thinking about this topic at work today (my job is boring in case you're wondering, I'm not a bread weirdo like you ;) ) and it occured to me that while we never say barm, we do use butty for when it's filled. Like a chip butty.

Just writing that made me suddenly crave one.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Thu Nov 28, 2013 11:57 am

AnnihiSlateR wrote:I am, I'm barmy about calling them that you might say....

I can just picture you writing that and then chuckling away to yourself :lol: You're one of a kind Neil!

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:13 pm

miss-mushroom wrote:

I was thinking about this topic at work today (my job is boring in case you're wondering, I'm not a bread weirdo like you ;) ) and it occured to me that while we never say barm, we do use butty for when it's filled. Like a chip butty.

Actually I think you'll find a butty is when it's made with sliced bread. A barm is when it's made with a bap. It's quite simple :P

Johnny Tightlips wrote:
AnnihiSlateR wrote:I am, I'm barmy about calling them that you might say....

I can just picture you writing that and then chuckling away to yourself :lol: You're one of a kind Neil!

You're not far wrong :lol: Though I did say it out loud and tilted my head slightly and paused for a split second before saying barmy. :lol:

miss-mushroom
Definitely Not Nu

Postby miss-mushroom » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:27 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:
miss-mushroom wrote:

Actually I think you'll find a butty is when it's made with sliced bread. A barm is when it's made with a bap. It's quite simple :P

Noep, chip butty can be in either bread or a bun round 'ere, no difference ;)
We're just going to have to accept our bread-related differences I think. :P

Slev
Paster of Muppets

Postby Slev » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:44 pm

miss-mushroom wrote:Noep, chip butty can be in either bread or a bun round 'ere, no difference ;)

Same where I grew up. Wigan butty likewise.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Thu Nov 28, 2013 5:56 pm

I think it's just something I made up to be honest, but based on my own thoughts and observations of what I do. Bacon in bread is a bacon butty, bacon on a bap is a bacon barm.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:12 pm

De Stijl wrote:

Curry sauce is in every fish and chip shop in the south.

Not so. I can't think of a single one near me that has either curry sauce or gravy. Apart from maybe some of the mixed purpose ones that would have it for the kebabs. But a dedicated fish and chip shop? Nope. No curry sauce, no gravy. No mushy peas, either. Ketchup and vinegar. The way it should be!
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Podgie.
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Podgie. » Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:40 am

I've seen both curry sauce and gravy in dedicated fish shops down south. Granted not very often like, but then it's not often I'm down south...

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:50 pm

Tet wrote:
De Stijl wrote:

Curry sauce is in every fish and chip shop in the south.

Not so. I can't think of a single one near me that has either curry sauce or gravy. Apart from maybe some of the mixed purpose ones that would have it for the kebabs. But a dedicated fish and chip shop? Nope. No curry sauce, no gravy. No mushy peas, either. Ketchup and vinegar. The way it should be!

Surely you mean salt and vinegar.
No gravy, curry sauce or mushy peas? Southerners are weird :-P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nQ6l7a0kZc