2019 Albums

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby houston4044 » Mon May 20, 2019 3:53 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Listened to "Mana" by Idle Hands last night after hearing about them on the That's Not Metal podcast. Absolutely loved it! It's like Sisters of Mercy meets Iron Maiden meets Type O Negative, creating a unique traditional gothic metal sound.

I like it but don't hear the Maiden in it (unless it's me :lol: ) very enjoyable though

north sea storm
Leather Rebel

Postby north sea storm » Mon May 20, 2019 9:06 pm

New.Amon Amarth is very ordinary especially after jomsviking was so good . Bit of a dud .

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Tue May 21, 2019 7:28 am

Darkweasel wrote:I like the new Savage Messiah but it really does wander into generic Power Metal territory a little too often.

I've given it a few listens and it's OK but I don't hear the Power Metal, just a generic Metal band with various influences they haven't quite married together cohesively. They sound like The Raven Age on steroids. 'Parachute' is a strange song. It sounds like something Nickleback would do or a leftover from Megadeth's 'Super Collider'.
north sea storm wrote:New.Amon Amarth is very ordinary especially after jomsviking was so good . Bit of a dud .

I'm not a huge Amon Amarth fan but I did listen to 'Jomsviking' a lot and have done the same with 'Berserker'. I don't know if I prefer either, but I do like both. 'Skoll and Hati' from the new alnbum is a particularly fine song.

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Tue May 21, 2019 9:00 am

I was disappointed with Jomsviking. I considered myself a fan but haven't even listened to the new one yet. I'll give it a listen on the train down to London town later.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed May 22, 2019 10:22 am

Controversial....but I'm thinking the new Possessed album might be the best thing they have done.
I see the bad moon arising.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:25 am

New Lord Vicar album is ace. Trad doom for fans of Reverend Bizarre, Candlemass and the doomier end of Sabbath.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu May 23, 2019 10:18 am

north sea storm wrote:New.Amon Amarth is very ordinary especially after jomsviking was so good . Bit of a dud .

Jomsviking was pish. The new album is Amon Amarth by numbers, good gym music.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu May 23, 2019 5:55 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:According to my RYM account, I'm up to 98 albums released in 2019 so far. My loose top 25 (to be reviewed at the end of the year) is currently -

Lots I haven't heard there, which gives me stuff to check out as I've been struggling to get excited about much this year. I didn't like Soen or Devin and found Hecate Enthroned just ok though so we're probably on different pages :lol: These are the 2019 releases I've listened to more than a few times according to lastfm (not many of them are very metal at all tbh!)

Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising -12
Queensryche - The Verdict - 10
Lau - Midnight and Closedown - 10
Flotsam & Jetsam - The Order of Chaos - 9
Julia Jacklin - Crushing - 9
Overkill - The Wings of War - 8
Candlemass - The Door to Doom - 8
Orville Peck - Pony - 7
Possessed - Revelations of Oblivion - 6 (this is easily my favourite metal release so far)
Amon Amarth - Berserker - 5
Ferocious Dog - Fake News & Propoganda - 5
Fontaines D.C. - Dogrel - 4
Saint Agnes - Welcome to Silvertown - 4

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Sat May 25, 2019 1:37 pm

Soze wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:According to my RYM account, I'm up to 98 albums released in 2019 so far. My loose top 25 (to be reviewed at the end of the year) is currently -

Lots I haven't heard there, which gives me stuff to check out as I've been struggling to get excited about much this year. I didn't like Soen or Devin and found Hecate Enthroned just ok though so we're probably on different pages :lol: These are the 2019 releases I've listened to more than a few times according to lastfm (not many of them are very metal at all tbh!)

Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising -12
Queensryche - The Verdict - 10
Lau - Midnight and Closedown - 10
Flotsam & Jetsam - The Order of Chaos - 9
Julia Jacklin - Crushing - 9
Overkill - The Wings of War - 8
Candlemass - The Door to Doom - 8
Orville Peck - Pony - 7
Possessed - Revelations of Oblivion - 6 (this is easily my favourite metal release so far)
Amon Amarth - Berserker - 5
Ferocious Dog - Fake News & Propoganda - 5
Fontaines D.C. - Dogrel - 4
Saint Agnes - Welcome to Silvertown - 4

Some interesting ones there that'll I'll have to get around to at some point! Really dig that Fontaines D.C. release - will almost certainly make my end of year list.

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Sat May 25, 2019 6:26 pm

Really enjoying the new Kull album, but then I am a very big fan of Bal Sagoth....and it sounds exactly like Bal Sagoth with a different singer....which of course is what it actually is.

New Fleshgod Apocalypse is also a splendid piece of work which will almost certainly end up in my top 10 of 2019
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

gavdann

Postby gavdann » Sun May 26, 2019 9:50 am

Think I've already mentioned Wormwitch and the Hellripper EP but these and the new records from Hath, Belzebubs and Dead to a Dying World have been getting lots of plays recently. It's been a very strong month or two for me. Lots of good stuff.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun May 26, 2019 1:49 pm

gavdann wrote:Think I've already mentioned Wormwitch and the Hellripper EP but these and the new records from Hath, Belzebubs and Dead to a Dying World have been getting lots of plays recently. It's been a very strong month or two for me. Lots of good stuff.

Did you see hellripper in London last month?

gavdann

Postby gavdann » Sun May 26, 2019 3:12 pm

Yeah, the one with Midnight. Awesome gig!

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue May 28, 2019 8:01 pm

New vulture song is thrash fun.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri May 31, 2019 12:20 pm

New album from Spanish band Doxa. Probably right up some of your streets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOJ-Yzz9t-Q
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp