2019 Albums

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
User avatar
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2319
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby Ghost » Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:00 am

gavdann wrote:Think I've already mentioned Wormwitch and the Hellripper EP but these and the new records from Hath, Belzebubs and Dead to a Dying World have been getting lots of plays recently. It's been a very strong month or two for me. Lots of good stuff.


Nothing original about it but the Wormwitch album is an enjoyable listen.
I see the bad moon arising.

ribbons69
Denim Demon
Posts: 5133
Joined: Sat Sep 16, 2006 9:04 pm
Location: The howling edge

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby ribbons69 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:45 pm

The new Gloryhammer is the usual angst ridden emo anthems for lovesick teenagers.
And Unicorns.
Lots of Unicorns.
It's fucking fantastic.
Tom G Warrior wrote:I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt,


we fall to rise

User avatar
gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am
Location: Ipswich

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby gavdann » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:20 pm

Ghost wrote:
gavdann wrote:Think I've already mentioned Wormwitch and the Hellripper EP but these and the new records from Hath, Belzebubs and Dead to a Dying World have been getting lots of plays recently. It's been a very strong month or two for me. Lots of good stuff.


Nothing original about it but the Wormwitch album is an enjoyable listen.

Original or otherwise it's been the best album of the year so far for me.

This week I've been digging the new Nervochaos. Old skool Brazilian death goodness. Not sure it's as good as the awesome Nyctophilia but its early days.

User avatar
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2319
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:09 pm

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby Ghost » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:03 pm

gavdann wrote:
Ghost wrote:
gavdann wrote:Original or otherwise it's been the best album of the year so far for me.

.


Yeah it's good. It's like dissection with catchy riffs.
I see the bad moon arising.

User avatar
Czech's Mate
Denim Demon
Posts: 4059
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:58 pm
Location: Northampton....not Wellingborough!

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby Czech's Mate » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:34 pm

ribbons69 wrote:The new Gloryhammer is the usual angst ridden emo anthems for lovesick teenagers.
And Unicorns.
Lots of Unicorns.
It's fucking fantastic.


It's beyond silly and as you say is actually really......rather.....fucking fantastic
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:05 am

Czech's Mate wrote:
ribbons69 wrote:The new Gloryhammer is the usual angst ridden emo anthems for lovesick teenagers.
And Unicorns.
Lots of Unicorns.
It's fucking fantastic.


It's beyond silly and as you say is actually really......rather.....fucking fantastic


Was thinking its not as good as the last one on first listen, but it gets better each time I play it, bloody love it now.

Them and Beast In Black in October will be a ridiculously good gig.

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1495
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:24 am

Not a metal album but the latest Wildhearts album is an absolute cracker. Best thing they've done since their debut

User avatar
gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am
Location: Ipswich

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby gavdann » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:35 am

bloodofthekings wrote:Not a metal album but the latest Wildhearts album is an absolute cracker. Best thing they've done since their debut

That's piqued my interest. They've always been good live but I kinda lost interest in their albums after Phuq. Now I have Amazon music, it means I can download and listen to whatever I like without the disappointment of wasting £10 on a rubbish CD.

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1495
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:38 am
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:34 am

gavdann wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:Not a metal album but the latest Wildhearts album is an absolute cracker. Best thing they've done since their debut

That's piqued my interest. They've always been good live but I kinda lost interest in their albums after Phuq. Now I have Amazon music, it means I can download and listen to whatever I like without the disappointment of wasting £10 on a rubbish CD.


I know what you mean. They've always been great live whenever I've seen them but their output since Earth Vs. has been patchy at best. Tbh, I wasn't even that keen on Phuq despite other Wildhearts fans I know really liking it. I thought Endless Nameless was utter garbage, Must Be Destroyed and the self-titled albums had some really good songs but surrounded by filler and Chutzpah was mostly forgettable but this new album is the closest they've come to the Earth Vs. sound for me.

User avatar
gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am
Location: Ipswich

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby gavdann » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:09 am

bloodofthekings wrote:Tbh, I wasn't even that keen on Phuq

Neither was I, that's why I lost interest. I'm brutal like that with bands. One poor album and I drop them like a hot potato :lol:

User avatar
someone else
Denim Demon
Posts: 5911
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Chester, UK
Contact:

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby someone else » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:14 pm

The new WH one is a cracker - they're my favourite band and the one I've seen the most live. Its been a bit a rollercoaster as even by recent history they have a knack to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory so that they're about and had a boost with the amount of live gigs, promotion and radio play they've had is a bit of a miracle.

Where this one fits? Third best behind Earth Vs and Fishing For Luckies - I like Chutzpah a lot, but its only really EN that I don't like.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

User avatar
gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am
Location: Ipswich

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby gavdann » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:13 pm

One (and a half) listens in and there are already earworms spitting at me left, right and centre which is exactly what you want from a Wildhearts record.

The title track is leaping out as one for repeat listening pleasure and I love the dirty production.

User avatar
someone else
Denim Demon
Posts: 5911
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Chester, UK
Contact:

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby someone else » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:42 pm

gavdann wrote:
The title track is leaping out as one for repeat listening pleasure.


Aye, but wait till someone tells you the chorus is like the Proper Crimbo song by the Bo Selector chap..
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

User avatar
gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:54 am
Location: Ipswich

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby gavdann » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:51 pm

someone else wrote:Aye, but wait till someone tells you the chorus is like the Proper Crimbo song by the Bo Selector chap..

If I knew the song that might bug me, but I don't so I'll remain blissfully unaware. :lol:

bloodfiend
Denim Demon
Posts: 3131
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:30 pm

Re: 2019 Albums

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:06 pm

The Wildhearts were my favourite band in the mid 90s, but I gave up on them a bit after that, Must Be Destroyed was bland and forgettable imo, the self titled was OK, and I never bothered hearing Chutzpah.

Surprised you lot hate Endless Nameless, I love that album, 2nd favourite by them after Earth Vs. Fishing For Luckies was ace too, but only the fan club version, the official release with extra tracks really ruined a great album.