Who is "The Greatest Metal Band" of all time?

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Who is "The Greatest Metal Band" of all time?

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:15 pm

A few years ago I put the argument forward that Metallica is: "The Greatest Metal Band" of all time. As expected, few on here agree, with the vast majority vehemently disagreeing. I still stand by that opinion tbh, but I'm curious to know who do you think should have such a title, if anyone? It shouldn't just be your favourite band, there should be weighty reasons behind your choice.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

houston4044
Denim Demon

Re: Who is "The Greatest Metal Band" of all time?

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:29 pm

Iron Maiden

One of the biggest fan bases in metal
More consistent in overall discography
Have had a sizeable impact on the metal scene
Big influence on modern bands

Iron Maiden tick all those boxes whereas Metallica don't. Metallica fail on the second test, after the Black Album they became fairly average, Maiden have done some great albums in their latter half of their career.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:58 am

houston4044 wrote:Iron Maiden

One of the biggest fan bases in metal
More consistent in overall discography
Have had a sizeable impact on the metal scene
Big influence on modern bands

Iron Maiden tick all those boxes whereas Metallica don't. Metallica fail on the second test, after the Black Album they became fairly average, Maiden have done some great albums in their latter half of their career.

They aren't that concistent really, they have dropped a few clunkers, and though their recent records are enjoyable, they are just solid works really, just like Metallica,'s last one.

However, I think that there are a couple more points that stand in Maiden's favour, beyond those points mentioned.

1) Credibility and integrity within their own 'code', a code that seems to permiate the metal scene as a whole.

2) There a symbol of 'proper.' heavy metal, Talismanic figures, if you like.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:25 am

houston4044 wrote:Iron Maiden tick all those boxes whereas Metallica don't. Metallica fail on the second test, after the Black Album they became fairly average, Maiden have done some great albums in their latter half of their career.

Iron Maiden did a couple of meh albums under Blaze, but what puts them about Metallica now for me is their work ethic and consistency, Maiden produce a new album of good quality every 2 or 3 years, whereas for the last 25 years or so Metallica have been sluggish and only give something new every 6 or 8 years, and even then dispite the massive waits, often churn out crap like St Anger.

It's obviously between Maiden and Metallica, with Maiden clear winners, and the likes or Sabbath and Priest behind them.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:09 am

I don't just think it's down to Metallica and Maiden - I used to, but not now. I think you could easily argue for Sabbath, Scorpions and Judas Priest. Looking at it from a different angle you could also push for things like Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, Slipknot, Linkin Park, and Kiss (many Americans would go for them). I can think of strong arguments for all of them. I'm sure there are more though: it is all down to what you value as attributes of 'The Greatest' .

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:46 am

Seriously?

Iron Maiden, Def Leppard, KISS? :lol:

Not even close. Iron Maiden aren't even the best NWOBHM era band. Def Leppard done one good album then sold themselves out to corporate American AOR Radio. KISS are by far the worst live big name band I've ever seen* (remember the Unmasked era?). Metallica haven't released anything good since Cliff died over thirty years ago IMO.

Bit of a pointless thread TBH because everyone would just nominate their favourite bands. And if you are narrow minded then that band never changes, whereas many others will change their current favourite band every week depending on what they are listening to or mood. It's a bit like asking your favourite food or drink. Some people eat McDonalds every day whilst others eat caviar.

Is a band the greatest because they are more popular or better musicians/songwriters?

*BTW I really wanted to like them, but the two times I've seen them they were terrible.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:09 pm

I'm asking for bigger reasons for 'greatness.' I'm not just asking for popularity, because that is only a single factor. I'm definitely not asking for peoples favorite.

Indeed that would be pointless in this context (though hearing people talk about their personal favourites, and why that is so, can be interesting - but that's a different thred).

The list I threw out was just off the cuff, it's not any sort of standard, just an example of range within the topic. I wouldn't push Def Leppard, but I can see how someone could.

Bottom line : I'm asking for (relatively) objective arguments, supported by reason.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:31 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:
They aren't that concistent really, they have dropped a few clunkers, and though their recent records are enjoyable, they are just solid works really, just like Metallica,'s last one.

Have to look at it relative to the amount of material they put out though. No doubt any band will have a few clunkers but compared to the amount of quality material they have, you can still make a case for them. Maiden come off well in this regard whereas others do but to a lesser extent.

metaldinosaur wrote:I don't just think it's down to Metallica and Maiden - I used to, but not now. I think you could easily argue for Sabbath, Scorpions and Judas Priest. Looking at it from a different angle you could also push for things like Def Leppard, Led Zeppelin, Slipknot, Linkin Park, and Kiss (many Americans would go for them). I can think of strong arguments for all of them. I'm sure there are more though: it is all down to what you value as attributes of 'The Greatest' .

It's not a two horse race as such, but Maiden and Metallica stand out for a reason.

Sabbath, Leppard and Kiss all have the same problem, relative to the size of their discography, they've released a lot of weak albums. No doubt they have solid classics which have had a massive impact, but no album after their heyday is really lauded outside their hardcore fanbase.

Moriarty
Lowly Peon

Postby Moriarty » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:42 pm

The correct answer is 'Neurosis'.

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:58 pm

My Dying Bride of course

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:22 pm

Blake_Porter wrote:My Dying Bride of course

I fucking love MDB! I even made them a music video!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gv2RL2f1Xg
Last edited by metaldinosaur on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eyesore
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby eyesore » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:47 pm

MANOWAR are my all time favourite band but objectively it is always going to be Iron Maiden before Metallica. What makes them a better band in my view is that unlike Metallica they've never departed from the path once chosen whereas a case can be made for Metallica selling out. Metallica are more popular but not becaue of their metal works.

Edit: great job Metaldinasaur. MDB are also one of my all time favourites.
Last edited by eyesore on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:27 pm

eyesore wrote:MANOWAR are my all time favourite band but objectively it is always going to be Iron Maiden before Metallica. What makes them a better band in my view is that unlike Metallica they've never departed from the path once chosen whereas a case can be made for Metallica selling out. Metallica are more popular but not becaue of their metal works.

Edit: great job Metaldinasaur. MDB are also on of my all time favourites.

Thanks! It's a very long time ago, but I'm glad I did it.

You could argue for Manowar, in an essence of metal kinda' way, but yeah, it would be a hard sell. It would be a very Manowar-ish thing to do though.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:32 pm

Moriarty wrote:The correct answer is 'Neurosis'.

OK, but why?

Moriarty
Lowly Peon

Postby Moriarty » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:40 am

metaldinosaur wrote:
Moriarty wrote:The correct answer is 'Neurosis'.

OK, but why?

Body of work/Discography
- 29 years of top level output, 11 studio albums + side project/companion releases
- Enemy of the Sun, Through Silver in Blood, Times of Grace are all unarguable classics, in my heavily biased mind at least. I'd also argue that The Eye of Every Storm and A Sun That Never Sets require as much praise but people love the noiser stuff.

Legendary Live Performances
- again across nearly three decades
- the visuals omg
- they'll crush you, go see them

Impact/Influence
- They've influenced a heap of good to great bands and rip off merchants since the early 2000s
- Nearly all of Mastodon's best songs have Scott Kelly on them

+ They've never taken a giant shit on their legacy/betrayed their integrity
+ a big ol' dash of personal bias.

PS: Metallica were the only band I gave a fuck about from ages 13 - 16 they really have shat all over everything great they did. I'll defend Load to my grave though. Black Album not so much. So for the record, even though I prefer good Metallica, I'd take Iron Maiden over them in this situation.

PSS: Fuck yes My Dying Bride!

Further Edit: I've just realised Emperor probably need to be considered too.