Who is "The Greatest Metal Band" of all time?

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Re: Who is "The Greatest Metal Band" of all time?

Postby bloodfiend » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:35 pm

Moriarty wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:
Moriarty wrote:The correct answer is 'Neurosis'.

OK, but why?

Body of work/Discography
- 29 years of top level output, 11 studio albums + side project/companion releases
- Enemy of the Sun, Through Silver in Blood, Times of Grace are all unarguable classics, in my heavily biased mind at least. I'd also argue that The Eye of Every Storm and A Sun That Never Sets require as much praise but people love the noiser stuff.

Legendary Live Performances
- again across nearly three decades
- the visuals omg
- they'll crush you, go see them

Impact/Influence
- They've influenced a heap of good to great bands and rip off merchants since the early 2000s
- Nearly all of Mastodon's best songs have Scott Kelly on them

+ They've never taken a giant shit on their legacy/betrayed their integrity
+ a big ol' dash of personal bias.

PS: Metallica were the only band I gave a fuck about from ages 13 - 16 they really have shat all over everything great they did. I'll defend Load to my grave though. Black Album not so much. So for the record, even though I prefer good Metallica, I'd take Iron Maiden over them in this situation.

PSS: Fuck yes My Dying Bride!

Further Edit: I've just realised Emperor probably need to be considered too.

I'm not a massive Neurosis fan (for me they lost it when they slowed down too much with A Sun That Never sets), but I like your reasoning.

MDB deserve a mention for having such a consistently excellent output over such a long time, and even when they experimented and changed style a bit (34%...complete), they still did it well.

Emperor though? Their first album is my favourite black metal album ever, but to call a band the greatest ever they'd need more longevity and consistency.... I dont think you get many Emperor fans who think that all 4 of their albums are classics.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:15 pm

Let's do it for each decade:

1970s - Black Sabbath (originality, quality/quantity & influence)
1980s - Manowar (distinctiveness, quality/quantity)

Iron Maiden peaked on N.O.T.Beast and Piece Of Mind but, overall, the quality of their albums was not quite up to Manowar's standard. And the only reason it can't be Dio for the 80s is because his talents were divided between two bands.

The last three decades I'll have to consider carefully.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:44 pm

If your going by decade...

The 80's hast to include a shortlist with Dio (band) for constant quality and for capturing the zeitgeist of the time.

Manowar for pushing the envelope of Heavy metal, without braking the style. (I sort of think of them as an extreme metal band in a way)

Maiden and Metallica for cultural impact.

Mabye Celtic Frost for helping to create so many styles of extreme metal

Perhaps Slayer, for redefining speed, not sure on that one though.

70, would have to include the possibilities of Priest and Scorpions, even Zeppelin if you're been stringy with it.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:17 pm

Maiden > slayer > sabbath > priest > Metallica

Sabbath are my favourite, and I can't stand anything from Metallica after RTL, but if you combine quality, consistency, longevity and impact (both on the metal scene, and in culture in general) that's how I see it. Metallica might be more popular than Priest, but pretty much every metal trope originated from them.

Don't see it being anyone outside that five, though of course you might disagree with the order.

Tankplanker
Consort of the Beast

Postby Tankplanker » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:52 pm

Most influential or most consistently high quality output or greatest "hot streak" of releases (thus allowing for the almost inevitable decline in quality as the band matures?

I'd argue to my grave that Kill 'Em All to Master (and it would have been till Justice bar the mix of that album), Metallica had the strongest streaks of any of the usual suspects. Their later output obviously takes a massive dump on that legacy...

I couldn't choose between Priest or Sabbath for most influential albums, metal wouldn't look the same with out either of them.

As much as I like Maiden I wouldn't put any one of their studio albums quite as high as the very best from Sabbath, Priest or Metallica, but Maiden have been far more consistent (at least to my ears) than the other three.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:58 pm

Well greatest hot streak is the first six Sabbath albums.

For me there's nothing wrong with Never Say Die, Technical Ecstasy, Born Again or Seventh star either, so could extend that to 12 with the Dio ones, but I'm not blind to the fact that those four are less popular and not quite as good.

EDIT: Nah for albums in a row you gotta give it to the first 7 maiden albums.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:22 pm

Sad wings to Defenders., has to be one of the best hot streaks.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:25 am

You can analyse all these bands for so long and never really get a scientific "Best metal band". It has to be the first band that comes to your head when you think metal. For me, that's Maiden. They feel quintessentially metal - they influenced so much that came after, without feeling detached from the genre in a way that other bands feel like (Sabbath). Metallica would be there too, but its more based on the hype around them from the mainstream than the songs themselves.

The other name I'd drop would be Pantera. They are quintessentially modern metal in much the same way. By that I mean, quintessentially everything wrong with the genre. But again, it's all just gut feeling.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:36 am

metaldinosaur wrote:Sad wings to Defenders., has to be one of the best hot streaks.

British Steel isn't as good as any of the first 7 maiden or first 6 Sabbath albums, and point of entry is not a classic.

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:03 am

Despite the last 30 years, Metallica were my first love so it's difficult to be subjective and see past them.

There are good arguments for both Maiden and Priest but I don't love any of their albums as much as I love the first 4 Metallica albums. Yes, they've both been more consistent, for longer and continue to release better albums than Metallica but to me that's irrelevant.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:09 am

jwh20 wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:Sad wings to Defenders., has to be one of the best hot streaks.

British Steel isn't as good as any of the first 7 maiden or first 6 Sabbath albums, and point of entry is not a classic.

Yep in terms of Priest's "hot streak" it's basically only 3 albums (Sad Wings, Sin After Sin, Stained Class), Killing Machine was bland, I find British Steel hugely overrated, Point Of Entry is pretty dire, and Screaming For Vengeance is also overrated, it's only with Defenders Of The Faith they got back on track for me (their best album imo), before plummeting again.

Compare this to Maiden, who's first 8 albums were all killer, and JP's discography has always been very patchy.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:58 pm

jwh20 wrote:

Yes, for me British Steel is great.

However, I actually blanked Point Of Entry out of my mind. Indeed, that wasn't the hottest part of a streak.

varangian
Consort of the Beast

Postby varangian » Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:02 pm

It`s the same question when my missus asked me "Who is the best runner"

Over what distance? What terrain? In which year? In what conditions?

Really dont think it`s an answerable question

But if someone said give me twenty great metal albums that I must listen to to in my life different story

Have to concur with the opinions on Maiden, Manowar, Sabs , Priest, Metallica etc some bloody awesome stuff there
Also the Dio Trilogy "Rainbow Rising/Heaven and Hell/Holy Diver"

So many bands WASP, Motorhead, Megadeth, Accept, Slayer, BOC, Pantera why narrow it do to who is the greatest just listen to them all, keep listening and keep exploring !

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:50 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:My Dying Bride of course

I fucking love MDB! I even made them a music video!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gv2RL2f1Xg

Wow, that's insanely good!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:34 pm

I think it's hard to look past the original Sabbath line up personally. Although there were bands about who paved the way for metal, they're the first band who really were metal, they wrote the rulebook and dozens of classic riffs, the imagery, the style, they're the Godfathers of the scene and have an incredible discography. Throw in the first 2 Dio albums as well and it's close to perfection. They're also one of those bands that everyone knows, whether they like metal or not.

But you can't really narrow it down to one. Priest and Wishbone Ash introduced that twin guitar melody, Motorhead and Venom infused metal with a punkish spirit, Maiden took it to another level, Metallica and various others kick started thrash...it goes on.