Who is "The Greatest Metal Band" of all time?

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Re: Who is "The Greatest Metal Band" of all time?

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:37 pm

Blake_Porter wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:My Dying Bride of course

I fucking love MDB! I even made them a music video!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gv2RL2f1Xg

Wow, that's insanely good!

Thanks, it's not bad for a bedroom project. To be Frank it stands as a monument to my wasted talent and lost opportunities nowadays.

Should have tried to intern at a studio after it was finished, insted I just made another video for Vallenfyre and got into heaps of debt! Oh well, live and learn.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:55 pm

I'm surprised more people didn't push for Sabbath.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:32 am

Metalchemyst wrote:Let's do it for each decade:

1970s - Black Sabbath (originality, quality/quantity & influence)
1980s - Manowar (distinctiveness, quality/quantity)

Iron Maiden peaked on N.O.T.Beast and Piece Of Mind but, overall, the quality of their albums was not quite up to Manowar's standard. And the only reason it can't be Dio for the 80s is because his talents were divided between two bands.

The last three decades I'll have to consider carefully.
On second thoughts, Manowar's style is pretty narrow, so I'll give it to Maiden for the 80s. Had Heaven And Hell & Mob Rules been Dio albums, then Dio it would have been. I suppose the 1990s was mostly about extreme metal but, outside that, Skyclad made a good run and they were quite influential.

Any suggestions for the best bands of the 2000s and 2010s?
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:35 am

After 2000 things seam to fragment. Most of my favourite 'modern bands' aren't that big.

I'm not really that into either, but Masterdon or opeth would probably get the mainstream media concensus; or maybe Devin.

For the 2010's I would say Ghost. Although, it's too early to tell for this decade.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:46 am

Let's face it, it's Motörhead really.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:27 pm

Iron Maiden.

I'd pick them over most of the other big influential bands anyway. Not just for their album quality and longevity, but also their impact on the genre.

Songs.
Talent.
Style.
Album Artwork.

It all adds to the overall appeal and really the 'greatest' would probably have to be a band that non metal fans also know of and enjoy. There are only maybe a dozen bands that fit that criteria.

To top it all off, Maiden have always been one of the best live bands around.

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:25 pm

i0th wrote:Let's face it, it's Motörhead really.

"We are Motörhead and we play rock n roll" not, "We are Motörhead and we play heavy metal".

Debate away....

red_death
Definitely Not Nu

Postby red_death » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:00 pm

If you're going on cultural impact as part of the assessment then it is difficult to see past Maiden or Metallica. How many non-metal fans would know many of the other bands put forward (perhaps Sabbath, Kiss or Priest)?

If you want a band for the late 90s to present with perhaps a similar level of recognition - Rammstein.

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:29 pm

I can't stand them personally but would put Slipknot forward as a contender for biggest metal band of the 00's.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:50 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh wrote:Iron Maiden.

[...]

Songs.
Talent.
Style.
Album Artwork.

[...]

To top it all off, Maiden have always been one of the best live bands around.

I mostly agree with your choice of Maiden, for the reasons you gave. But I'd very strongly take issue with the claims of live prowess. Their classic studio output was untouchable. But although they've improved of late, they were always let down by the quality of their live performances, where other bands in the genre were conspicuously better.

The only alternative to Maiden I could think of would be Priest, who were arguably the better band, but ended up living in Maiden's shadow and certainly didn't have the same level of cultural impact.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:54 pm

Tet wrote:I mostly agree with your choice of Maiden, for the reasons you gave. But I'd very strongly take issue with the claims of live prowess. Their classic studio output was untouchable. But although they've improved of late, they were always let down by the quality of their live performances, where other bands in the genre were conspicuously better.

I've seen you make this point before and you're entitled to your opinion of course, but it's a very unusual one. I don't think you'd find many people agreeing that Maiden are lacklustre live so I don't think the point really stands. It's just too off the wall a belief.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:39 pm

Parkway Drive, clear the internet loves them :lol:

gavdann wrote:I can't stand them personally but would put Slipknot forward as a contender for biggest metal band of the 00's.

I was going to say Machine Head first, didn't think about Slipknot :lol: Do Linkin Park count as metal?

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:45 am

houston4044 wrote:Parkway Drive, clear the internet loves them :lol:

gavdann wrote:I can't stand them personally but would put Slipknot forward as a contender for biggest metal band of the 00's.

I was going to say Machine Head first, didn't think about Slipknot :lol: Do Linkin Park count as metal?

They're a bit like the Def Leppard of Nu Metal, snaded off all the rough edges, polished it up and added pop choruses. Easily the biggest of that lot.

gavdann wrote:
i0th wrote:Let's face it, it's Motörhead really.

"We are Motörhead and we play rock n roll" not, "We are Motörhead and we play heavy metal".

Debate away....

Lemmy was a contrary bugger on this, happy for Motorhead to be metal when it suits (added the unlauts to Wurzel to be more metal, dispairing at Mikkey Dee and Phil Campbell not getting enough respect because theyre in a heavy metal band..) . I don't think he liked Slipknot etc so didnt want to be lumped in with that, but happy to tour wiht Saxon, Girlschool etc
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:17 pm

someone else wrote:
They're a bit like the Def Leppard of Nu Metal, snaded off all the rough edges, polished it up and added pop choruses. Easily the biggest of that lot.

That's going to stick in my head now :lol:

gavdann wrote:"We are Motörhead and we play rock n roll" not, "We are Motörhead and we play heavy metal".

Debate away....

A lot of bands who end up being seminal in a movement don't identify themselves with it. Sabbath members have said they considered their music heavy blues and only later identified themselves as metal. To them/Lemmy they're just playing their take on a genre that people later identify as being a new genre unto itself.

I'd consider them metal imo

north sea storm
Leather Rebel

Postby north sea storm » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:30 pm

Very easy AC/DC of course.