Tape trading (ah the old days)

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Tape trading (ah the old days)

Postby Ghost » Sat Jun 01, 2019 7:12 pm

Anyone do tape trading. I think I had two tape traders, I contacted them from adverts in the back of terrorizer. I remember one of them took great care in writing out the track list. Lovely hand writing :lol:
I see the bad moon arising.

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Tape trading (ah the old days)

Postby Jay1993 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:50 pm

Not quite but I have just acquired a couple of Fields of the Nephilim cassettes off Ebay as I recently got a cassette player!

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:42 pm

In the very late 90's I swapped a handful of tapes, but it was in its twilight stages by then, so I never got fully into the 'circuit', uncovering/discovering bands and the like.

I did get to hear Manowar and Raindbow for the first time on a swapped tape though!
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:20 pm

Back them up though- tapes wear out...

gavdann

Postby gavdann » Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:40 pm

I didn't exactly trade tapes but I made loads of compilations for friends and girls I wanted to impress in the 80's. I used to work in IT during the 90s so was there in the early days of internet and before www took off. I used to buy and trade CDs on newsgroups. They pre-dated forums as a good way to chat about stuff. I traded for the first Nile and Suffocation's Pierced albums during that period.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:10 pm

I don't think people quite understand what tape trading was.

It wasn't making mixtapes or copying albums. It was demos and live stuff only. Originals if possible, but first or second generation copies were fine. You would soon get a bad name if you were trading poor copies.

Ahh. The days of sending IRCs to some obscure place in Norway, Brazil or Japan and getting some dodgy Thrash or Death Metal cassette of a band that would soon be massive. Or swapping them for some shite local bands demo.

It died out when CDs became available. Then you started getting people doing it commercially which wasn't the point.

Still got a few thousand of them in the loft. Including an original No Life Til Leather... (worth anything?) :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

gavdann

Postby gavdann » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:12 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think people quite understand what tape trading was.

:lol:

Yeah we (I) do.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:36 am

We do know what it is, I think that's clear enough, however; I'm guessing most of us where too young to be really part of it - which was clearly acknowledged.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:32 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Still got a few thousand of them in the loft. Including an original No Life Til Leather... (worth anything?) :P

Think I've got an original behemoth's from the pagan vastlands demo somewhere. Also Sear Bliss's the pagan winter.
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:51 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:I don't think people quite understand what tape trading was.

It wasn't making mixtapes or copying albums. It was demos and live stuff only. Originals if possible, but first or second generation copies were fine. You would soon get a bad name if you were trading poor copies.

Tape trading was trading tapes, whatever you wanted to put on them. Generally stuff that wasn't readily available in shops, but there was no rule about what you could or couldn't trade.

Gandalf the Red wrote:It died out when CDs became available. Then you started getting people doing it commercially which wasn't the point.

It definitely did not, if anything if become more vibrant - i.e. in the early to mid 90s there was a massive black metal tape trading scene, because everyone wanted to be more Kvlt than anyone else, by owning all the underground demos of the black metal bands, which were never released on CD.

Tape trading only really died when downloading became common place, as demos would also be uploaded onto download sites.