Bands with a gimmick

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Tehrin
Lowly Peon

Bands with a gimmick

Postby Tehrin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:35 pm

Hey guys, just wondering what bands with a gimmick are out there (that might come to bloodstock especially).
Here is a list of 3 to start the thread, 2 already famous and 1 new band to be fair to the underground scene.

Nekrogoblikon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q3ub1SUYfg
The infamous "Goblin" gimmick band with a suiting song about that same topic, no introduction needed to this melodic/death/metalcore band.

Dallian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CvP-pW ... MzFa1Ufb3f
A new "Dark Steampunk" band (couldn't find any others in this sub-category, if there are any comment below) with a more serious style they fit into Prog/death/symphonic/world music.

Alestorm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TKyNTwD3Yk
Another one that needs no introductions, these metal pirates seem to be in every known festival, creating an incredible atmosphere and mosh pits all around with their folky/ power metal sound.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Re: Bands with a gimmick

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:58 pm

No thanks!

If you need a gimmick to sell your band then you are most probably shite.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tehrin
Lowly Peon

Postby Tehrin » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:00 pm

I think if the gimmick reflects your lyrics/concept there is nothing wrong with it. Do you think any band with a gimmick is shit then?

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:45 pm

Nile and Slugdge come to mind, neither of which are shit.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:27 pm

gavdann wrote:Nile come to mind, neither of which are shit.

That's not really a gimmick more a theme. You could put other bands in that category including Sabaton where all the songs are about war. None of those members are walking around dressed as pharaohs or soldiers last time I looked.

I'm thinking of garbage such as Arnocorps, Tragedy, GWAR, etc. Where the music is secondary to the gimmick. They take up slots that could be given to proper bands.

Don't forget we've got to suffer the awfulness of Evil Scarecrow again this year. Surely that joke has well finished?

No idea who Slugdge are. Google says TBDM so I'll pass.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

gavdann

Postby gavdann » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:12 am

Gandalf the Red wrote:No idea who Slugdge are. Google says TBDM so I'll pass.
The drummer joined them recently but they're currently only a studio band. Their last was one of the top 5 albums of 2018 for me so definitely worth a listen.

I know you don't like Ghost but if you're only talking about visual gimmicks, what about Alice Cooper? Sounds like you're only using the shit ones to bolster your argument. No change there!

Is it only a gimmick if it's a tacky one? Are the comic book band Belzebubs just a tacky gimmick because I really like their album as well.

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:47 am

There's a fine line between 'gimmick' and 'theme' and I'm not sure we're all gonna agree on where that line is.

As much as Gandalf and I don't often agree, I think any band where the music is secondary to the 'gimmick' is usually a good indicator of whether or not the band are any good (appreciate that's subjective but you get my point). For example, although there is a theme running through the majority of their music, I wouldn't say that for Sabaton (military history), Amon Amarth (vikings), Alice Cooper (horror), Cannibal Corpse (ways to kill people), Blind Guardian (Tolkien and other fantasy authors) or Nile (ancient Egypt), that the music is secondary to the theme. The theme is there to enhance the music and the show and all of these bands do that pretty well (even if I don't personally like all of them).

Contrast that to shite like Alestorm, Arnocorps, Jaldaboath, Tragedy, Evil Scarecrow, Nekrogoblikon and I wouldn't say the same thing.

As for GWAR, I've found them entertaining enough live but even I'll say that musically they are bollox. Fine to watch once or twice but the shtick gets old quickly.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:55 am

I think in such a swamped market it's more important to have a gimmick to set yourselves apart from the rest. Especially if you want to somehow make money from being in a band.
Kiss, ghost, and rammstein are all successful bands with a gimmick. Obviously they have great songs to back it up.

A current great band with a gimmick are 1914.

Ultimately it depends on your definition of a gimmick.

Talking of tacky ones though, the band okilly dokilly have just announced a UK tour haa haa. One of their videos has 5 million views......mental.
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:19 am

Ghost wrote:Talking of tacky ones though, the band okilly dokilly have just announced a UK tour haa haa. One of their videos has 5 million views......mental.

Oh god I forgot about them. They're bloody awful.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:49 am

Ward XVI's new blood performance a couple of years ago was brilliant and I love their album. Can see them getting on the Sophie stage next year.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:41 am

Really hate Iron Maiden and their "Eddie" gimmick. Lern 2 play, amirite guize?

(Am I doing this grumpy old sod thing right?)
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:26 am

So long as the music isn't shit (or shit in your opinion) there's nothing wrong with a gimmick. I would say Sabaton do have a gimmick (they dress up in camo, sing about war, have stage shows with tanks and the like).

Again it's personal preference, I like Wind Rose who dress up as dwarves and sing about digging holes whereas I abhore Evil Scarecrow because the music is shit so I don't even give two shits about the gimmick.

That said, remember music is meant to be about entertainment as well so calm your tits some of you.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Wed Jun 12, 2019 12:36 pm

WorMzy wrote:Really hate Iron Maiden and their "Eddie" gimmick. Lern 2 play, amirite guize?

(Am I doing this grumpy old sod thing right?)

Agreed.
General Surgery have a gimmick and are still great musically- imvho

Jay1993

Postby Jay1993 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:09 pm

Isn't black metal in general a gimmick? :lol:

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:56 pm

Jay1993 wrote:Isn't black metal in general a gimmick? :lol:

:yes:
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18