Bands with a gimmick

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Re: Bands with a gimmick

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:41 am

There is a n as nd that dress up as transformers, can't remember the name though.

Also, most bands have gimmicks of some kind, even if it's just a 'look'. Even if bands just where t-shirt and jeans, it's still projecting something.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:14 am

metaldinosaur wrote:Also, most bands have gimmicks of some kind, even if it's just a 'look'. Even if bands just where t-shirt and jeans, it's still projecting something.

Yeah but where are the jeans and t-shirts?
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:52 am

Jay1993 wrote:Isn't black metal in general a gimmick? :lol:

no- black metal is a genre characterized by certain musical forms, as are thrash, death etc. Eastern Front for example, are 'war-torn black metal'- the gimmick being the 'war-torn'....

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:55 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:Also, most bands have gimmicks of some kind, even if it's just a 'look'. Even if bands just where t-shirt and jeans, it's still projecting something.

Would you consider the Ramones a gimmick in the same vein as Nekrogoblikon?

Just listen to the music and go from there, if you enjoy the music without the visual aid then the gimmick is fine; gives the band a marketing aid (and at that point could be considered a theme) and something for live shows. If the music sucks without having something to look at then yeah it's not worth it.

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:01 pm

The Ramones were never a gimmick, they were as real as it gets. They're one of my favourite bands of all time and I saw them several times in the late 80's/early 90's. Just one listen to It's Alive should tell you everything you need to know about that band.

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:10 pm

gavdann wrote:The Ramones were never a gimmick, they were as real as it gets. They're one of my favourite bands of all time and I saw them several times in the late 80's/early 90's. Just one listen to It's Alive should tell you everything you need to know about that band.

Fully agree with you, big fan of them myself :yes: Didn't get to see them myself though :(

My point wasn't that I thought they were a gimmick, but if people think an image (no matter how standard) is a gimmick then lots of bands are going to get lumped in.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:12 pm

The black metal look is definitely a gimmick that grew way beyond a single band.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

Jay1993
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Jay1993 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:16 pm

Surely everything could be considered a gimmick at some point though? Alice Cooper's horror-based theatrics, Twisted Sister's use of feminine makeup, Venom integrating satanic lyrics into NWOBM, Cannibal's Corpse's imagery; all of these were used as tools intended to shock and garner attention.

I guess the difference with gimmicky bands nowadays is that all the shocking stuff has been done so now they just go for the hilarity factor (Okilly Dokilly, Mac Sabbath, Arnocorps, etc.) Although I've never really gone in on bands like this myself, it's not difficult to avoid them at festivals so doesn't really bother me!

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:31 pm

not all gimmicky bands are shit. Off the tope of my head, the following bands are largely loved by the metal community, but are gimmicky.

Gwar, Lordi, Alestorm, Gloryhammer, Batushka, Immortal

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:22 am

Blake_Porter wrote:not all gimmicky bands are shit. Off the tope of my head, the following bands are largely loved by the metal community, but are gimmicky.

Are Turisas still loved or did 2013 ruin it for them? :lol:

Ex Deo, Kataklysm (do the movie quotes make them a gimmick?), Municipal Waste, Dragonforce and Rammstein off the top of my head are decent to great gimmick bands.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Pretty sure Turisas dropped off the planet. It terrifies me that almost ten years have passed since they last played Bloodstock. Fucking time, man. Where does it go?
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

bloodofthekings
Leather Rebel

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:47 pm

houston4044 wrote:Are Turisas still loved or did 2013 ruin it for them? :lol:

They received a good reception at HRH Vikings last year. But that may have been partly because most folk were largely unfamiliar with the rest of the line-up that day.
I only paid a tenner for my ticket so watched Old Corpse Road, Waylander and Turisas and spent the rest of the day in the pub.

Blake_Porter
Denim Demon

Postby Blake_Porter » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:16 pm

houston4044 wrote:
Blake_Porter wrote:not all gimmicky bands are shit. Off the tope of my head, the following bands are largely loved by the metal community, but are gimmicky.

Are Turisas still loved or did 2013 ruin it for them? :lol:

Ex Deo, Kataklysm (do the movie quotes make them a gimmick?), Municipal Waste, Dragonforce and Rammstein off the top of my head are decent to great gimmick bands.

Aye Ex Deo are class. I wouldn't really count Kataklysm. Municipal Waste are fucking gash. Dragonforce get a pass......just. Rammstein are Rammstein.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:26 am

houston4044 wrote:

Quite an odd list, Kataklysm are about as gimmick free as could imagine as they're just standard death metal with a no frills live show. Movie quotes? You can't hardly call that a gimmick when compared with the over the top imgainery of Mortician, Cannibal Corpse etc.

Dragonforce? Are widdling guitars a gimmick then? Yes they do it more than others, but if that's a gimmick then you'd have to say Maidn are a gimmick band.

If you're talking live show, then Rammstein are about as gimmicky as it gets, but they do it in a way that fits the music well, same with King Dimaond were every song if a different live act, but we'll presented and in keepjng with the music.

I guess what we're getting at here is you'd only really use the label "gimmick" if the music wasn't strong, and gimmick took presidence over the music. Ie Evil Scarecrow can't write a good song for shit, and everyone remembers them for their stage show but no one actual buys their albums, and they are regarded as a gimmick band... with Rammstein however no one says they are Just a live band and people enjoy their music and the live show is an extention of that enjoyment.

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 am

Beyond the Black - there's no writer in the band, no stable membership, a rotating list of session players allowing tours / albums. There is a very pretty girl fronting the whole thing. Napalm Records are veeeery good at selling that kind of gimmick.

There's a reviewer that slams that whole trope as 'corsetcore nonsense'; I quite like calling it 'goth-jovi'.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019