What your family thinks of your love of metal?

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

What your family thinks of your love of metal?

Postby Ghost » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:56 pm

Although my wife doesn't listen to it herself she fully supports my love of it. She has no problem with in blaring out in the house. My son is too young to have an opinion on it.

Anyone's family embarrassed by your music taste? I've heard of some people not listening to it anymore because their wives didn't like it.
I see the bad moon arising.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Re: What your family thinks of your love of metal?

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Sep 06, 2019 12:12 am

She would not have become my wife if she couldn't handle The Metal.

She is actually pretty good about it. She quite likes Metallica, Sabbath and a few others.

My folks never really got it. My dad died a few years ago, in part it was pneumonia, but mostly it's cuz he didn't like Metal. I imagine the same will happen to my mum. However, she never took my iron maiden poster down, so you never know.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 6:42 am

My dad has been into it since the late 70s (I'm 27 for context), grew up on all the bands you'd expect - Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Priest etc (alongside prog, Floyd and Queen), then got into heavier and heavier stuff as time went on, thrash, then death, then black metal - makes me jealous of who he saw back in the day. Favourite band of all time is still Slayer - my first metal bands at around aged 11 I liked were Slayer and Dark Fortress, then some other metal he was listening to at the time a lot, like Satanic Slaughter, Drudkh, Darkthrone, Lunar Aurora, Burzum, Myrkskog...He doesn't check out much new stuff these days, as thinks extremity has really peaked with Anaal Nathrakh's first album and has less time. He doesn't get my non-metal preferences at all - ambient, shoegaze, trip-rock, ABBA etc, and can't stand any of the female fronted metal bands I like.

Mum hates it, not one band she can stand. Likes stuff like the Smiths. My brother is into mostly classic metal and stoner doom, though had a good time at Brutal Assault and came away saying his favourite of the festival were Napalm Death, Incantation, Carpenter Brut and Eyehategod. He likes his videogames and pubs more than going to shows so doesn't do many. My sister likes a bit of Sabbath, Maiden and Slayer, but not really much more than that - she hasn't and probably wouldn't go to any shows. Favourite bands are Queen, Floyd, Bowie, Beatles and lots of post-rock bands.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:30 pm

My mum is 70 and always asks which bands I'm going to see as if she'll have heard the stoner/doom/metal band on Radio 2! She saw all sorts of bands play in Chester - Beatles, Marty Wilde, Hollies etc.
My dad was into the 60s 70s bands, major Stones and Animals fan - couldn't get on with GNR ("..can't keep a beat going" he said after I'd watched Live In Paris for the millionth time) and didn't get Maiden etc. but always saw the appeal of live music as he saw all the bands of the day like Kinks when they played every town hall in the country including the middle of Cornwall where he grew up, so dropped us off at the station to go to Milton Keynes to see GNR when we were 15.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:54 pm

jwh20 wrote:My dad has been into it since the late 70s (I'm 27 for context), grew up on all the bands you'd expect - Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Priest etc (alongside prog, Floyd and Queen), then got into heavier and heavier stuff as time went on, thrash, then death, then black metal - makes me jealous of who he saw back in the day. Favourite band of all time is still Slayer - my first metal bands at around aged 11 I liked were Slayer and Dark Fortress, then some other metal he was listening to at the time a lot, like Satanic Slaughter, Drudkh, Darkthrone, Lunar Aurora, Burzum, Myrkskog...He doesn't check out much new stuff these days, as thinks extremity has really peaked with Anaal Nathrakh's first album and has less time. He doesn't get my non-metal preferences at all - ambient, shoegaze, trip-rock, ABBA etc, and can't stand any of the female fronted metal bands I like.

Mum hates it, not one band she can stand. Likes stuff like the Smiths. My brother is into mostly classic metal and stoner doom, though had a good time at Brutal Assault and came away saying his favourite of the festival were Napalm Death, Incantation, Carpenter Brut and Eyehategod. He likes his videogames and pubs more than going to shows so doesn't do many. My sister likes a bit of Sabbath, Maiden and Slayer, but not really much more than that - she hasn't and probably wouldn't go to any shows. Favourite bands are Queen, Floyd, Bowie, Beatles and lots of post-rock bands.

Ha ha your mum must of hated being in a house with 4 metal fans. Do you feel like your dad actively encouraged your metal music or did it just happen. Did he take you to gigs?
I see the bad moon arising.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:54 pm

My wife loves her metal, our first gig together was Metallica, Edinburgh 1988 at the tender age of 15 (we met at school). We always went to gigs together.

We don't go to as many gigs together nowadays as she is into thrash and power metal and I am into thrash/death metal and black metal.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:29 am

Ghost wrote:
jwh20 wrote:My dad has been into it since the late 70s (I'm 27 for context), grew up on all the bands you'd expect - Sabbath, Deep Purple, Rainbow, Priest etc (alongside prog, Floyd and Queen), then got into heavier and heavier stuff as time went on, thrash, then death, then black metal - makes me jealous of who he saw back in the day. Favourite band of all time is still Slayer - my first metal bands at around aged 11 I liked were Slayer and Dark Fortress, then some other metal he was listening to at the time a lot, like Satanic Slaughter, Drudkh, Darkthrone, Lunar Aurora, Burzum, Myrkskog...He doesn't check out much new stuff these days, as thinks extremity has really peaked with Anaal Nathrakh's first album and has less time. He doesn't get my non-metal preferences at all - ambient, shoegaze, trip-rock, ABBA etc, and can't stand any of the female fronted metal bands I like.

Ha ha your mum must of hated being in a house with 4 metal fans. Do you feel like your dad actively encouraged your metal music or did it just happen. Did he take you to gigs?

Nah just happened, I never really took and interest until I was about 11, and then only the heaviest side of things. Took a few years to "mellow out" and get into Priest, Megadeth, Sabbath, Maiden etc.

Been to a lot of gigs with my dad, but mostly after I got a job and could afford to go. He took me to Dragonforce, Dark Fortress and Slayer before that though. We go to a lot of gigs together, and have been to Wacken once together. A bit less now I've got less money and he's getting older but seen tons together. My brother and I went to Brutal Assualt this year and have seen electric wizard together twice.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Mon Sep 09, 2019 7:42 am

My wife likes a fair whack of music. There's a lot of stuff I listen to she quite likes, mostly stuff like Threshold, Devy and Pain of Salvation or at least she puts them on herself when pottering about the house. She hates pretty much anything with screaming vocals however but doesn't begrudge me listening to it in the house (I do get the odd 'Dave, the doors open and the neighbour's kids are out, watch the volume'). Also for some inexplicable reason she despises Judas Priest.

My Dad has always had a softer spot for it because he likes his weird assed prog whereas my mum hates it - I still get asked when I'm going to grow out of this phase. Even better is the fact I've not lived at home for over five years now so she's not even tormented by it any more.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:59 am

They're OK with the lighter, poppier stuff like Ghost but as a general rule of thumb the more extreme it is, the more they hate it. :lol:

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:24 pm

I got into Metal through Rock, which my parents listen to (dad likes some metal too -- e.g. Maiden), so they're pretty okay with what I listen to. My girlfriend likes some of the lighter stuff I listen to, but really hates the more extreme stuff (anything "loud and shouty"). She also imposes a 10 minute maximum song length on me whenever we go to a friends house with a jukebox set up, because apparently people don't appreciate me filling the playlist with 30 minute Moonsorrow songs... :eyes:
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson