Being sober at gigs

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Being sober at gigs

Postby Ghost » Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:12 pm

After twenty something years of gigs, I'll be trying my first one sober tomorrow at Volbeat. Basically I want to see what it's like to not have to keep pushing my way to the toilet every 30 minutes and not being able to get back to the front.

Anyone else stay sober at gigs or is alcohol part of the event?
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Re: Being sober at gigs

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:01 pm

Ghost wrote:After twenty something years of gigs, I'll be trying my first one sober tomorrow at Volbeat. Basically I want to see what it's like to not have to keep pushing my way to the toilet every 30 minutes and not being able to get back to the front.

Anyone else stay sober at gigs or is alcohol part of the event?

Depends on the prices and what's available at the bar. For example, at O2 venues the price and selection of drinks is terrible so I either don't drink at all or use my 2-4-1 offer on O2 Priority and get 2 Somersby Ciders but then stop at that.

Arena gigs I don't bother at all as the only option is to pay between £5-£6 for some shit like Carlsberg or Fosters which I absolutely won't do.

Smaller venues usually have a better selection and don't charge silly prices so I'll have a few but even then I never actually get drunk as I want to actually remember what I saw.

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:08 pm

I drive to 90% of the shows I see so drinking is rarely an option. But even when I can I only have 1 or 2. I've never understood this need people have to get smashed at every event they go to.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:53 pm

I get smashed at every gig lol. Never been to one and not drunk.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:27 pm

I thought that was the whole point of Rock N Roll....

Personally though I don't attend arena concerts or very many in the larger academies so I'm not normally that far away from toilets, bar or the front. If I'm travelling it's normally a drink or two on the train, a couple in a local pub and then see what they have in the venue. Don't normally bother post gig anymore, unless I'm staying over.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:44 pm

Living in the sticks, probably 80% of the gigs I've been to sober. Now, I have the option of going by train but if I'm on my own drinking ain't much fun, and the cost if drink in venues, train and a taxi at the other end means that driving to a gig can be much cheaper. Mainly drink at London gigs, but there's some Where I've been an 'unreliable witness' as to how good the gig actually was, so feel I've cheated myself a bit. Did 2 sober days at BoA this year, which was a first and didn't affect my enjoyment
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:02 am

I tend to have two or three drinks max. I like a bit of a beer buzz, particularly for power metal, but I don’t get it when people get totally wrecked. There are way cheaper ways to do that, if that’s your thing. It's certainly not mine anymore, hangovers aren’t my friend nowadays.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

gavdann
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby gavdann » Thu Sep 26, 2019 9:13 am

I actually did Tomb Mold stone cold sober as I was on a course of tablets.

It's very rare that I don't have any beer at all but I didn't notice a reduction in enjoyment and I remembered all of it the next day! :lol:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:51 pm

Not sure I enjoyed it as much without the booze which is a shame.
I see the bad moon arising.

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:48 am

We typically take turns driving to the gigs we go tp (Newcastle, Machester, Sheffield) to there's never any round so I'll have a few beers at about half the gigs I go to. Never bothered me either way, most venues have shit beer at ridiculous prices with terrible service :lol:
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

north sea storm
Leather Rebel

Postby north sea storm » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:56 pm

Never been drunk at a metal gig , and I've been to hundreds .
Either driving or have to drive back from train station. Few times we've stayed over I sunk a pint or 3 but again driving in the morning.