2020 Albums

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: 2020 Albums

Postby Ghost » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:30 am

I'm a My Dying Bride fan but the new album isn't clicking with me so far. On my third listen but it's not grabbing me.
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:54 pm

Ghost wrote:I'm a My Dying Bride fan but the new album isn't clicking with me so far. On my third listen but it's not grabbing me.

It's sounding pretty bland to me, the 3 before that were pretty meh too, For Lies I Sire was the last one I really liked.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:18 am

Ghost wrote:I'm a My Dying Bride fan but the new album isn't clicking with me so far. On my third listen but it's not grabbing me.

Think it's just clicked :lol:

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:45 pm

So far this year, I've only listened to 4 new albums:

Demons & Wizards - III (excellent, really enjoyed this)
Ozzy - Ordinary Man (crap; only 1 song - "Under the Graveyard" - worth keeping on my mp3 player)
Body Count - Carnivore (not bad, not as good as 'Manslaughter' or 'Bloodlust', though)
Five Finger Death Punch - F8 (silly guilty pleasure of mine, wouldn't go see them live but I actually don't mind their albums)

Podgie.
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Podgie. » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:18 pm

To be honest I found it a little pedestrian at first. And I absolutely love this band. It's taken me a fair few listens since to begin to appreciate it for what it is. Only containing 5 real songs, it almost feels like it was rushed to fulfill contractual obligations with Nuclear Blast (which I'm sure isn't the case, at all). It's a very mature and very sombre sounding record though, undoubtedly My Dying Bride. It's growing on me for sure...

bloodfiend wrote:It's sounding pretty bland to me, the 3 before that were pretty meh too, For Lies I Sire was the last one I really liked.

On the contrary, I thought A Map of All Our Failures and Feel the Misery were brilliant! More so than For Lies I Sire, even.

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:12 pm

I thought it was alright tbh, but nothing better than that

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:40 pm

Podgie. wrote:On the contrary, I thought A Map of All Our Failures and Feel the Misery were brilliant! More so than For Lies I Sire, even.

Oooh controversy, cos I've only heard people say glowing things about For Lies I Sire, I just don't find much to love in the the 2 subsequent albums.

For me they started to lose it a bit after the awesome The Dreadful Hours, and FLIS has been the only one of theirs I've loved since then.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Mar 13, 2020 2:47 pm

Loving the debut album by Liverpool's Video Nasties. Not sure how to describe. Kinda bouncy death metal riffs with screechy vocals. I do like bands that use horror film clips in their songs :lol:

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:43 pm

I’m liking the new mdb, they are trying new things (to an extent) and they really needed to try something new, as I agree with others on here that the last few albums have lacked a little vitality/spark. The Dreadful Hours was incredible mind, up there as a career best, and sadly the last few haven’t got close to matching it.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:18 pm

So what with a lot more free time now I've been able to listen to a lot more new albums

- Lucifer
Solid album and a step up from their previous. Does drop in places but overall good.

- Bodycount
Slow descent since Manslaughter but got some decent bangers in it.

- Wolf
It's good but nothing stands out, another album in the trad metal scene that'll just get lost in the shuffle.

- Delain
Should of been an EP really. They have a few good songs and plenty of good ideas wasted in mediocre songs. If they'd been able to condense those ideas into fewer songs they would have had a great release.

- Night Flight Orchestra
fun and enjoyable listen, glad BOA drew my attention to them

- Burning Witches
Love it, will probably be on my AOTY list somewhere

- Sylosis
Solid comeback record, manage to balance their proggy tendencies while keeping it accessible.

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:35 pm

New Kreator song released last Friday.

Carries on where gods of violence left off. No new album details as yet

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:09 am

I really like the new Vulcano album. Sounds like early Slayer but with a modern production. :rock:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:49 pm

I'm enjoying Dark Fortress - Spectres from the old world.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:51 am

Ghost wrote:I'm enjoying Dark Fortress - Spectres from the old world.

Yes, I've been playing that a bit over the past few weeks too. Melodic-black isn't usually my thing but I like that.

It's been a good couple of weeks of new releases for me. Also really enjoying:
Temple of Void - The World that Was (Death-doom)
Graceless - Where Vultures Know Your Name (Death metal, heavy on the Bolt Thrower influence)

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:13 pm

gavdann wrote:It's been a good couple of weeks of new releases for me. Also really enjoying:
Temple of Void - The World that Was (Death-doom)
Graceless - Where Vultures Know Your Name (Death metal, heavy on the Bolt Thrower influence)

I remember enjoying Temple of Void's last album. Forgot all about them so didn't realise a new one was out. Will give it a listen.