Flying Abroad for Concerts

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Smerphy
Leather Rebel

Flying Abroad for Concerts

Postby Smerphy » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:34 pm

I'm considering flying to Lisbon next Summer for the Mercyful Fate concert, I was wondering if anyone had any tips on when to fly out, finding hotels, general dos and don't etc. that would be helpful to know before I book anything. Also thought this would be an interesting topic in general for people to talk about.
Gandalf the Red wrote:
Fjar wrote:Guy on the far-right has just remembered he left the oven on.

That comment can be read very diffferently than what was meant. :lol:

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Re: Flying Abroad for Concerts

Postby Powerslave » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:57 am

For hotels, I just tend to use booking.com to find somewhere with good ratings in the right area.
I've been to Lisbon once and it didn't seem that many people spoke English, so a phrase book would be useful.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:01 am

Not very often but I've been to Barcelona which we made in to a long weekend trip. The local underground trains were very good, so it was easy to get about the city. I guess the tip is to do your research beforehand.

For the hotel, we decided on the area we wanted to stay and then used booking.com

I've also been to Dublin a couple of times but that's barely travelling abroad.

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:42 am

So they're doing some individual concerts now? I would prefer to do that than go to a festival at this point tbh.

And yes, booking.com is the way to go for hotels, skyscanner for flights.

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:14 am

gavdann wrote:I've also been to Dublin a couple of times but that's barely travelling abroad.

A comment likely to offend some people! :lol:

I've been abroad to see Iron Maiden a few times: Oslo, Dublin, Stockholm, Copenhagen and Montreal. I will also be seeing them in Gothenburg and Barcelona, and perhaps Holland too. After a conference in New Orleans a couple of years ago I saw Trans Siberian Orchestra in Tampa while on holiday in Florida.

I used to stay in hostels when I was still a student because they're cheap. It's bearable for a couple of nights but sharing a room with strangers is not ideal so now that I am earning money I will stay in a hotel. If you're going to a big stadium or arena show then I'd recommend booking the hotel as soon as you've decided you want to go, but make sure there's free cancellation on it in case you don't manage to get a ticket.

I've also stayed in AirBnBs on friends' sofas where possible.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Black Wizard wrote:A comment likely to offend some people! :lol:

Oops yeah, I didn't mean that the way it sounded. It's just I have one or two friends in Dublin.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:39 pm

I’ve done Prague and Dublin for Metallica, and Crete for Sabbaton (when they where less regular in the uk). It’s always been fine, but I always think it would be super shit if the gig didn’t go ahead for whatever reason. It does happen, I’ve had 5 or so gigs not pan out over the years.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:42 pm

I often go abroad for gigs to see bands that never come to the U.K. and always go abroad for summer festivals (since 2003).

I always stick to booking.com and generally go for hotels with free cancellation just in case any last minute change of plan. Generally stick to Western Europe, only coz I like to be in my comfort zone with food, people speaking English etc. It’s great now I have Eurostar on my doorstep and can be in France, Belgium or Holland really fast.
If you stick the gigs in the big cities they are easily accessible, Hamburg, Stockholm, Eindhoven, Brussels etc
013 is a great venue in Tilburg and Gasometer in Vienna. I always used to go with someone up till about 2015 but since I’ve moved away from him and don’t see him too much, I even go on my own now, doesn’t bother me one bit.
One year (2007 I think) I flew into Tampere in Finland to minus 28 degrees one afternoon, went to see kiuas, then flew home at 7.30 the next morning.... back in the days when Ryan did flights for a penny with 10 quid tax.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:57 pm

I've done Desertfest in Antwerp for the last 5 years, it's in the same venue the likes of Saxon, Devin etc play - from taking off in Manchester to being in my hotel room is 2hrs, and the cost of flights can be offset against generally cheaper hotels when comparing to going to London (or Bristol which can be as expensive!)
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:16 pm

I've been to Germany and Sweden for gigs. I don't have any specific advice other than get your ticket sorted and find flights and hotels on the Internet.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...