Bands that got away... so far.

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Bands that got away... so far.

Postby metaldinosaur » Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:12 pm

Which bands have you never seen, but still really want to.

For me, number one is probably Iced Earth. I’ve been into them since I was a teenager but I’ve somehow missed them every time.

I’ve been lucky enough to see most other bands I’ve been into. There is the odd underground-ish black metal band like Sargiest (who I’m finally seeing in London soon) Who have eluded me but nothing that niggles too much.

There are a few enjoyable big names I’m trying to catch: I’ve never seen Helloween (Manchester coming up though). Mercyful Fate will hopefully come over at some point, and I will see Deep purple in Leeds this year. But really only Iced Earth is missing from my all time favourites.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Bands that got away... so far.

Postby Ghost » Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:55 am

Not to rub it in :lol: but an Iced Earth gig in London (2001-ish) was one of my fav gigs. Think they played for 3 hours that night.They're not the same without Matt Barlow, he made them special.

Think the only band from my youth I'd still like to see is Dark Angel.

I wish I'd have seen Sisters of Mercy back in the nineties, I was always put off by bad live reviews.

Now I'm older I appreciate the bigger rock bands. So I wish I'd seen the likes of ACDC and Aerosmith when they weren't so geriatric. Not at their own gigs because of the price but wish I'd of made the effort to watch at Donington.
I see the bad moon arising.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:55 pm

Would love to see Jimmy Page play - wasnt into going to gigs on my own the last time he toured and now he talks about doing something new but never does anything.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Methuen
Warrior of Metal

Postby Methuen » Sun Feb 09, 2020 3:34 pm

Cathedral some how - they seemed to be playing everywhere all of the time, for a period, but I never managed to catch them live.

Stratovarius - I actually have a ticket stub from a show of theirs, and photos of them at Bloodstock, but absolutely no memory of either event. I suppose that counts ?
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Mon Feb 10, 2020 7:46 am

Methuen wrote:Cathedral some how - they seemed to be playing everywhere all of the time, for a period, but I never managed to catch them live.

Stratovarius - I actually have a ticket stub from a show of theirs, and photos of them at Bloodstock, but absolutely no memory of either event. I suppose that counts ?

That's weird... I think it is anyway, maybe its a common thing. However, I don't think I've ever forgotten a gig or show before, not form a big name at least.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

i0th
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby i0th » Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:51 am

Dream Evil are the fist that spring to mind. Been a fan since Evilized (2003) but still haven't caught them live yet.
Hell ain't a bad place to be(er)

BS 02 03 04 | BGOA | WOA 04 05 06 07 12 | MoR 06 | LE | BOA 09 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 | R1BW 11 19 | Soni 11 | HRH 13 15 | HL 14 15 17 18 19 | HF 15 | HRHDvS 16 | HRHM 18

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:24 am

I've never actually seen Devin Townsend live yet, despite being in attendance at two Bloodstocks that he was playing at. I can't remember what the reason was the first time (I think he clashed with someone else), but the year after I was determined to see him but ended up overdoing it on the homebrew mead and passed out in my tent (that was the first and only time I've missed a band like that).

Never seen Kalmah live either.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

jwh20
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby jwh20 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:35 am

Seperately I've seen Anneke Van Giersbergen and Devin Townsend over 30 times combined.

Never seen them together :(

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:57 am

Skepticism and Despised Icon

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:48 am

Kanwulf wrote:Skepticism and Despised Icon

Where do you live?

Skepticism are playing London on Sunday and there's still tickets.

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:20 am

bloodfiend wrote:
Kanwulf wrote:Skepticism and Despised Icon

Where do you live?

Skepticism are playing London on Sunday and there's still tickets.

Live in Newcastle, London isn't really doable at the moment as I am saving for going travelling in the Summer :(

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:06 am

Sisters of Mercy, I'm always skint or on holiday when they tour Scotland.

ZZ Top, played Scotland once and tickets sold out almost immediately.

I'm on a very limited budget and got health issues so travelling to England for gigs is a rare occasion.Takes me 10 months to save for BOA and that is with a free ticket from my mother in law (annual Xmas present).
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

Nicktrix
Lowly Peon

Postby Nicktrix » Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:45 pm

CharlesDexterWard wrote:ZZ Top, played Scotland once and tickets sold out almost immediately.
(annual Xmas present).

Was in the same boat, but I finally saw them at Wembley Arena last year. They got up on stage and played for about 59 minutes, then walked off.

They played well for those minutes, but for the high cost of seeing them I couldn't help feel a little short changed.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:07 pm

Nicktrix wrote:
CharlesDexterWard wrote:ZZ Top, played Scotland once and tickets sold out almost immediately.
(annual Xmas present).

Was in the same boat, but I finally saw them at Wembley Arena last year. They got up on stage and played for about 59 minutes, then walked off.

They played well for those minutes, but for the high cost of seeing them I couldn't help feel a little short changed.

It was the same in Manchester about 5 years ago - onstage for about 70mins. Love them, but can't stomach paying their prices for that as they've only gone up since then. Didn't help having one no-name support act
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:31 am

So jealous about that Iced Earth 2001 gig, I delayed getting a ticket too much and it sold out by the time I got around to trying to get one!

As for the other bands in this thread:
ZZ Top - seen them twice at HEllfest, first time was great fun, second was a yawn fest.
Sisters Of Mercy - seen them 4 times, London 2003 (very good), London 2006 (utter dogshit, quite possibly the worst gig I've ever been to), Hellfest last year (good), London last year (okay).
Skepticism - saw them in church in London in 2011 (I think), utterly mesmerising and incredible performance, doom metal gigs were never the same after that.
Dream Evil - they used to play London quite regularly ages ago around 2004 and I saw them a few times then, good but hardly life changing.
Cathedral - see them about a billion times, either at their own gigs, as support or at festivals, they rarely ever did a bad gig.

Mercyful Fate are the main band I haven't seen that I wanna see, and thanks to the wonderful Brutal Assault Fest that'll happen in August! Also Autopsy I've never seen, the y're doing the UK Death Fest, but I'm not sure there's much else there to tempt me, also Death, and I'll see them at Hellfest, well DTA which is the closest thing I'll get. there's probably more, but I can't think of them right now.