Guess what date gigs will be back to normal (no social distancing)

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Guess what date gigs will be back to normal (no social distancing)

Postby Skippy » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:01 am

I'm going to be a bit more optimistic and say January. That's providing things don't get drastically worse of course, but I imagine by then, perhaps even sooner the clubs will be under such financial pressure they will have to open or even more will shut down. The government aren't going to be funding them, so they'll have to open, and when that happens gigs will be inevitable as they are a huge source of income for a lot of places.

I imagine they'll have some token social distancing measure in place that will instantly get ignored. I also imagine that probably until pretty late next year it'll only be UK based bands that want to tour - many won't want to risk the travel. So I'm expecting at least 3 Evil Scarecrow tours.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:58 pm

Black Wizard wrote:I can't claim to be an expert in any of this though. Ask Gandalf.

:lol:

Black Wizard
Leather Rebel

Postby Black Wizard » Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:27 pm

Green Man III wrote:human impatience is bound to give in sooner than later.

I've been thinking the same sort of thing. Social distancing will end when enough people have stopped complying with it. I've already noticed when walking about that many people aren't trying to keep any sort of distance from each other and some shops gave up on enforcing it a couple of months ago. There will eventually be so many informal gatherings that it won't be possible to police and the government will have to give up on it.

Drachenfells1
Lowly Peon

Postby Drachenfells1 » Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:35 pm

If it follows the spanish flu model ( nearest thing we have to compare it to) people will get fed up with wearing masks (yes they wore them back in 1918) and have protest marches against them (again they protested in 1919), stop social distancing (only reason social distancing was miminal and a lockdown was not imposed in 1918 was we needed everybody working for the war effort) and mask wearing will stop and the second wave will kill 3-4 times more than the first wave, people will panic and wear masks again but the 3rd wave will hit killing twice as many as the first before it burns itself out. This is what happened last time.

I hope it does not happen that way off course but there is a saying "people who do not learn from history are doomed to replete it" and thats what we seem to be doing

People keep saying "its only killed X amount, its not that bad" without considering THAT was with lockdown and social distancing and warm weather, use your imagination, how many more would be infected or killed if we had carried on as normal or had hit in the middle of winter, when virus's thrive?

People keep saying Sweden had a mild lockdown and "only" 5500 odd died, but Norway and Finland had less than 550 deaths between them, so they have admitted there way was wrong and wish they had done it differently.

I know its hard, I'm shielded through a serious illness and its been hell, but having studied previous pandemics we have got off easy so far.

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:14 pm

Black Wizard wrote:

I've been thinking the same sort of thing. Social distancing will end when enough people have stopped complying with it. I've already noticed when walking about that many people aren't trying to keep any sort of distance from each other and some shops gave up on enforcing it a couple of months ago. There will eventually be so many informal gatherings that it won't be possible to police and the government will have to give up on it.

Or another forced shut down will happen. Let's hope not.

If I have to stay home for another year so Bloodstock can happen then I would. Deferred gratification!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:01 pm

Black Wizard wrote:

I've been thinking the same sort of thing. Social distancing will end when enough people have stopped complying with it.

It already has. And in some ways it was never really there in the first place.

The only way people's behaviour changes (on a large scale) is if it's forced (e.g. the closure of pubs, restaurants, certain shops, etc.). For anything else, where you have to rely on the public to 'self-comply' (e.g. social distancing, not mixing with other households, etc.) then you've lost before you've even begun. Especially when the government have made it clear then such restrictions aren't enforced and people aren't penalised for violating the rules (unless you're a massive bellend who organises huge illegal raves).

Other than stopping people from going out to eat, going to pubs and going on shopping sprees, any further lockdowns (whether local or national) won't make a difference because people will largely just carry on doing what they like, knowing full well there's no retribution for doing so.

north sea storm
Leather Rebel

Postby north sea storm » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:56 am

At the moment the virus is spreading rapidly , but hardly anyone is dying . I think that those vulnerable are taking sensible precautions against the virus and its working .

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:42 pm

north sea storm wrote:At the moment the virus is spreading rapidly , but hardly anyone is dying . I think that those vulnerable are taking sensible precautions against the virus and its working .

That's it!

And while I'd like to think that we can influence others, the only actions we can really own are our own. Hopefully living by example will catch on and the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask for awhile and not walking up to people's faces will result in us all getting the life back that we all desire.

So excited about the next Bloodstock!! :hairbang:

Chok651
Lowly Peon

Postby Chok651 » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:56 pm

I'll be surprised if we see festivals or gigs next year I think this whole thing is going to last
a very long time.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:29 am

Green Man III wrote:Hopefully living by example will catch on and the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask for awhile and not walking up to people's faces will result in us all getting the life back that we all desire.

I agree with you however, I don't know about Canada, but if you think people see wearing a mask as simply a "minor inconvenience" then you clearly haven't seen the level of stupidity and gullibility that's currently infesting large swathes of the UK's population.

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:20 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Green Man III wrote:Hopefully living by example will catch on and the minor inconvenience of wearing a mask for awhile and not walking up to people's faces will result in us all getting the life back that we all desire.

I agree with you however, I don't know about Canada, but if you think people see wearing a mask as simply a "minor inconvenience" then you clearly haven't seen the level of stupidity and gullibility that's currently infesting large swathes of the UK's population.

Do you mean that they think it's some sort of conspiracy? Do you have people in the UK that are like those in the US that are throwing punches to protect their "right" to not wear a mask?

I hear we're doing pretty good in Canada as a whole but like any society, there's idiots everywhere.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:03 pm

Green Man III wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:

Do you mean that they think it's some sort of conspiracy? Do you have people in the UK that are like those in the US that are throwing punches to protect their "right" to not wear a mask?

I hear we're doing pretty good in Canada as a whole but like any society, there's idiots everywhere.

Yep - there's plenty of conspiracy-theorist bellends here in the UK. And not just those people, there's also the fuckwits who, whilst they might not buy in to the far-fetched 5G nonsense, are just plain selfish and lazy and just don't bother wearing masks because they think they'll be fine and don't give a fuck about anyone else.
And then there's the ignorant fuckwits who don't pay attention to the news or what's going on so probably don't even realise the true severity of the situation. And then there's the fuckwits who are a combination of the above and use their scepticism as a poor substitute for their lack of personality or some kind of vain attempt to appear interesting.

Basically - lots and lots of fuckwits.

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:33 pm

Chok651 wrote:I'll be surprised if we see festivals or gigs next year I think this whole thing is going to last a very long time.

This, we need a vaccine in widespread use before festivals can return and I just can't see that happening in time to save next years festival season :(
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:04 pm

Bizza wrote:
Chok651 wrote:I'll be surprised if we see festivals or gigs next year I think this whole thing is going to last a very long time.

This, we need a vaccine in widespread use before festivals can return and I just can't see that happening in time to save next years festival season :(

Me neither. Might have to change my prediction from may 2021 to May 2022.
I see the bad moon arising.

Czech's Mate
Denim Demon

Postby Czech's Mate » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:56 pm

sadly been thinking that gigs won't be back for a very long time which will mean more bands will be forced to give up.......Anathema announcing an indefinite hiatus today was seriously bad news
Television is the opium of the people

kanet666 wrote: I can deal with the odd Slipknot track now and then. Pantera on the other hand are dreadful and I'd rather stab myself in the eye with a rusty fork than put up with them.