Guess what date gigs will be back to normal (no social distancing)

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Re: Guess what date gigs will be back to normal (no social distancing)

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:29 am

Looks like May is out for gigs. I assume Download is hanging by a thread, as are any gigs in early summer.
However, I have hope bloodstock could make it. Its all down to the vaccines now and how quickly they turn things around.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:08 am

Nah, don't see it myself. The vaccine isn't going get to enough people in time to make a 4 days festival safe.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:27 am

Bizza wrote:Nah, don't see it myself. The vaccine isn't going get to enough people in time to make a 4 days festival safe.

I don't see it either but the priority isn't to keep everyone from getting ill.

Once everyone above a certain age group has been vaccinated (say, 50+) then the government won't give a shit if a minority of younger people get sick as long as it doesn't crash the NHS. Economically, we have the probably the most right-wing government in power in over 30 years. They're not going to want to keep the economy shut for any longer than they have to.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:42 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
Bizza wrote:Nah, don't see it myself. The vaccine isn't going get to enough people in time to make a 4 days festival safe.

I don't see it either but the priority isn't to keep everyone from getting ill.

Once everyone above a certain age group has been vaccinated (say, 50+) then the government won't give a shit if a minority of younger people get sick as long as it doesn't crash the NHS. Economically, we have the probably the most right-wing government in power in over 30 years. They're not going to want to keep the economy shut for any longer than they have to.

This is my thought as well, which raises the question - how comfortable would you feel going to a festival in that situation? In a crowd of Bloodstock's size, moshing, drunk and unvaxinated, you know Covid is going to spread like wildfire. Its possible we'll all have our first jabs by then, but I highly doubt we'll have two so it'll be around 50% immunity. Is that enough?

For me personally, I'd probably go. I'm that desperate for festivals I would probably have to. I'd do what I could to avoid people - probably stand at the back for most of the bands. The other question is Bloodstock itself - would they find it morally ok to run under those circumstances?
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:48 pm

I'd probably take the risk myself, but I've got a daughter on the shielding list so would give it a miss if she's not been vaccinated by then.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:26 pm

I wouldn't go this year. This disease does appear to be seasonal though so bloodstock might not be a big risk of catching it.
I see the bad moon arising.

Drachenfells1
Lowly Peon

Postby Drachenfells1 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:38 pm

I'm unsure, its not so much about the audience as the bands, all non uk bands now need a visa, which could be a problem for the smaller bands (although I would have expected them to have plans in place for it)

But the main problem is the bands don't just do bloodstock, they do a festival run throughout Europe, Spain has closed borders until 70% of there population is vaccinated, so all Spanish festivals are cancelled, how many other countries are going to follow suit?

If bloodstock becomes the only festival going ahead the bands will cancel as its not financially viable to just do one date.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:21 pm

Skippy wrote:Its possible we'll all have our first jabs by then, but I highly doubt we'll have two so it'll be around 50% immunity. Is that enough?

Israel are leading the way globally with their vaccine rollout and early indications suggest the first Pfizer jab is only providing around 33% immunity.

I think the UK's decision to administer the 2nd dose after 12 weeks instead of the recommended 4 is going to come back and bite us on the ass! :x

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:27 pm

gavdann wrote:I think the UK's decision to *insert anything Boris Johnson's government has done* is going to come back and bite us on the ass! :x

Fixed that for you.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:42 am

gavdann wrote:
Skippy wrote:Its possible we'll all have our first jabs by then, but I highly doubt we'll have two so it'll be around 50% immunity. Is that enough?

Israel are leading the way globally with their vaccine rollout and early indications suggest the first Pfizer jab is only providing around 33% immunity.

I think the UK's decision to administer the 2nd dose after 12 weeks instead of the recommended 4 is going to come back and bite us on the ass! :x

See this is the problem - the virus is only going to build up immunity to the vaccine, and then it'll be completely useless. 2022 will get cancelled at this rate!
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Kylan_Paassa
Denim Demon

Postby Kylan_Paassa » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:46 pm

Whilst gigs and festivals are being cancelled left, right and centre for March/April/May I did see today that Pungent Stench and Carnation announced that they're doing a gig in the Netherlands at the end of August. It clashes with Deathfeast Open Air which I had planned to go to, but can't see happening. I wonder if whilst festivals are much harder to pull off due to the logistics, if we will see the return of gigs across Europe by the end of August? Seems weird to start confirming new gigs if they weren't semi-confident that it would actually go ahead.
RedTeamWins wrote:
Turbo wrote:I presented the goods and I got no reply. Good job this isnt ebay.

A+++ EXCELLENT MOOBS, WOULD VIEW AGAIN.

Kylan_Paassa
Denim Demon

Postby Kylan_Paassa » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:18 pm

Just had one of the bar owners in Leeds city centre drop off a hoodie that I'd ordered online, he was saying that they've received some information from the government regarding the reopening of bars/venues etc. They're proposing July best case scenario and that will still be with limited capacities, social distancing, no big groups and so on. Obviously that can change for good or bad but I'd say that gives a good indication on the likelihood of gigs and festivals over summer, pretty much 0. Maybe some seated gigs once the industry gets up and running going into August but I think we'll be lucky to even get something as late in the year as Damnation. Blergh.
RedTeamWins wrote:

north sea storm
Leather Rebel

Postby north sea storm » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:27 pm

Spring 2022 .

Kylan_Paassa
Denim Demon

Postby Kylan_Paassa » Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:59 pm

Just seen the band Gutslit upload a photo of a gig they played the other day in Mumbai, hundreds of people without masks! Surreal. Seems a long way from reality yet, saying that they do have a population nearly 250x bigger than ours and have had roughly the same amount of deaths, so it would seem the risk is much lower at this stage for them!
RedTeamWins wrote:

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:39 pm

north sea storm wrote:Spring 2022 .

Depressing but pretty likely.

With May gigs being cancelled, its only a matter of time before big June festivals follow suit, and then August festivals.

Damnation has a massive question mark hanging over it, as do any December fests like that.