2021 albums

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
ribbons69
Denim Demon

Re: 2021 albums

Postby ribbons69 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:46 pm

I'll be trying to listen to as much of this list as I can (Trigger warning for Cheese)

http://radiothunderuk.moonfruit.com/cal ... cBbTFxqbck

Starting with Dragony this Friday. Most anticipated? Probably Marius Danielsen's - Legend of Valley Doom Pt 3.
Tom G Warrior wrote:I’ve seen Andrew Eldritch in an ice hockey shirt onstage, and I’ve given him the benefit of the doubt,

we fall to rise

Kylan_Paassa
Denim Demon

Postby Kylan_Paassa » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:42 pm

Ghost wrote:Frozen Soul - Crypt of Ice is a good old school death metal release.

This is so good. I bought a load of merch from their US store as well. Killer band!
RedTeamWins wrote:
Turbo wrote:I presented the goods and I got no reply. Good job this isnt ebay.

A+++ EXCELLENT MOOBS, WOULD VIEW AGAIN.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:54 pm

The tracks I've heard from the Irish band Dread Sovereign new album sound fantastic. Album is coming out on Metal Blade soon called Alchemical Warfare. They're described as Doom metal. They are more in the faster heavy metal style though rather than the one note a minute style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G65CGgTm9_I
I see the bad moon arising.

Jay1993
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Jay1993 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:40 pm

In an attempt to keep up to date with new releases, I've been working on writing weekly roundups on my blog if anyone fancies a look: https://metal-daze-reviews.blogspot.com ... up_14.html

Covered the Frozen Soul album this week (what a banger!) along with some trad metal from Midnight Spell. Got the new Dread Sovereign noted down as one to check out next!

Any feedback on the blog (good or bad) is much appreciated, always looking to improve! :yes:

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:26 am

Ghost wrote:The tracks I've heard from the Irish band Dread Sovereign new album sound fantastic.

This one was on Blayne Smith's BangerTV metal monthly show as well.

Listened to it last night and again today and (for me) it's OK. There are some good moments but slightly too much psych jamming and general guitar meandering for my liking. Perhaps more focus and more actual songs are needed.

I really liked the sound of one woman BM outfit Hulder - I'll be checking that out later this month.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:59 pm

Nothing ground breaking but Heretical Sect's album Rapturous Flesh Consumed is a great black metal album.

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Tue Jan 19, 2021 7:30 pm

New memoriam album March 26th. That’s their 4th in 5 years

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:30 am

metaldinosaur wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:
metaldinosaur wrote:...oh, and the new Thirion will probably be my first buy of the year.

Therion? Well the new tracks they've put out have hardly been amazing, however nothing can be worse than their last album, 3 hours of utter tuneless boredom.

The last record was poor, agreed. I didn’t even buy it. But I think the new tracks sound good - I got the impression that’s what most people thought.

I was wondering about that typo too.

Therion's a band that I really got into in the past but hard to keep up with all the style changes. Vovin, Deggial, Secret..., Sirius/Lem..., and Misc..Exp... are the ones I own and enjoy. Don't have time to go through their entire discography on youtube to keep getting disappointed, so any suggestions from any Therion fans out there would be appreciated.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:31 am

Green Man III wrote:
Therion's a band that I really got into in the past but hard to keep up with all the style changes. Vovin, Deggial, Secret..., Sirius/Lem..., and Misc..Exp... are the ones I own and enjoy. Don't have time to go through their entire discography on youtube to keep getting disappointed, so any suggestions from any Therion fans out there would be appreciated.

You're missing Theli, which is easily their best album, if you like Vovin you'll love Theli, as it's a much more metal version of that album.

Apart from Theli, you've got the next best albums by them (ie Vovin, Secrets and Lemuria/Sirius B). If you want more recommendations other than Theli, maybe go for Lepacca Kliffoth, it's very different to the operatic stuff, as it's melodic death metal, but still very good and with lots of symphonic touches.

Gothic Kabbalah is OK, but avoid the albums after that (Sitra Ahra, Les Fleurs Du Mal, Beloved Antichrist and the new one), as the recent stuff is poor.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:31 pm

The new Aspyhx album is really good. I'm not easily impressed by death metal nowadays but this ticked the boxes. Frozen Soul is pretty decent, Therion is boring, Dragony mediocre, Nervosa nothing I haven't heard a million times before and Wardruna ok if I'm in the mood for it.

Here completes my review of January 2021.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:45 pm

Soze wrote:The new Aspyhx album is really good. I'm not easily impressed by death metal nowadays but this ticked the boxes. Frozen Soul is pretty decent, Therion is boring, Dragony mediocre, Nervosa nothing I haven't heard a million times before and Wardruna ok if I'm in the mood for it.

Yes the new Aspyhx is rather juicy.

gazsetsfire
Consort of the Beast

Postby gazsetsfire » Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:22 pm

Ghost wrote:
Soze wrote:The new Aspyhx album is really good. I'm not easily impressed by death metal nowadays but this ticked the boxes. Frozen Soul is pretty decent, Therion is boring, Dragony mediocre, Nervosa nothing I haven't heard a million times before and Wardruna ok if I'm in the mood for it.

Yes the new Aspyhx is rather juicy.

Mine has been delayed in the post (yes I’m old skool and buy physical copies still) but watched their album release live stream on Saturday night and they were brilliant. New songs sounded great too.

Nervosa ok on first listen, Ektmorf the same, not as good as fury, their previous album. Accept should be on the way on Friday.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:26 am

gazsetsfire wrote:
Mine has been delayed in the post (yes I’m old skool and buy physical copies still) but watched their album release live stream on Saturday night and they were brilliant. New songs sounded great too.

Nervosa ok on first listen, Ektmorf the same, not as good as fury, their previous album. Accept should be on the way on Friday.

I buy some physical copies, but only on vinyl these days. I started out just buying classic metal vinyl when I got my record player, but I became a bit of a vinyl junkie and buy new records quite a bit these days too.

On that note I just ordered the new Tribulation on green vinyl which is out tomorrow, but I won't get it until next weekend. Bah.

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:35 am

bloodfiend wrote:I buy some physical copies, but only on vinyl these days. I started out just buying classic metal vinyl when I got my record player, but I became a bit of a vinyl junkie and buy new records quite a bit these days too.

I keep meaning to buy a new turntable just so I can play all of my old vinyl currently in the garage but I know this will become me as well.

I think it must be about 2 years since I bought a CD and around 15 since I bought a vinyl record.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:47 am

I can't justify the price of vinyl, 20 quid for most new releases at least. Add to that I'm a lazy bastard and can't be arsed to keep getting up and turning the things over. I still buy CDs of albums I really like, about a dozen to fifteen a year nowadays, but generally rip them to flac and never touch the discs again!