2021 albums

For general discussion of all things metal-related.
i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Re: 2021 albums

Postby i0th2 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:50 am

Last album I bought on CD was Ward XVI's Metamorphosis, wasn't released on vinyl and wasn't going on Spotify. Before that.....no idea it's been a while. Have started listening to my records a lot more in the last year because we moved house and there's actually space for my turntable. Working from home has stopped me going to Sound It Out Records much in town which is a shame though.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:32 am

i0th2 wrote:Last album I bought on CD was Ward XVI's Metamorphosis, wasn't released on vinyl and wasn't going on Spotify. Before that.....no idea it's been a while. Have started listening to my records a lot more in the last year because we moved house and there's actually space for my turntable. Working from home has stopped me going to Sound It Out Records much in town which is a shame though.

You live up in Stockton? My parents live there but I havent beeb able to visit for over a year cos of all the shit.

Didn't know about this shop, methinks a vinyl binge is in order next time I visit then.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:53 am

Soze wrote:I can't justify the price of vinyl, 20 quid for most new releases at least. Add to that I'm a lazy bastard and can't be arsed to keep getting up and turning the things over. I still buy CDs of albums I really like, about a dozen to fifteen a year nowadays, but generally rip them to flac and never touch the discs again!

20 quid for a new release vinyl sounds positively cheap tbh, you're normally talking £25 at least for a new release and something similar for something that's not new. Its just a new release on limited edition double coloured vinyl looks awesome, whereas CDs? Meh, they're just tacky and shit, and like you I never listen to them.

I think the awkwardness of vinyl is one of the main attractions tbh, ie the old school cinematic experience, I've got Cradle's remastered Cruelty on double red vinyl, and it's constant flipping and swapping with only 3 songs on each side, but that's part of the fun eh?

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:19 am

bloodfiend wrote:You live up in Stockton? My parents live there but I havent beeb able to visit for over a year cos of all the shit.

Didn't know about this shop, methinks a vinyl binge is in order next time I visit then.

Aye and work in the town so it's a very easy and overly tempting walk, helps that it's got a decent sized metal section. Grabbed Saxon's Denim & Leather a couple of months ago when it was allowed to be open.

Kylan_Paassa
Denim Demon

Postby Kylan_Paassa » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:51 am

i0th2 wrote:Last album I bought on CD was Ward XVI's Metamorphosis, wasn't released on vinyl and wasn't going on Spotify. Before that.....no idea it's been a while. Have started listening to my records a lot more in the last year because we moved house and there's actually space for my turntable. Working from home has stopped me going to Sound It Out Records much in town which is a shame though.

I was at a punk gig of some sort at Wharf Chambers in Leeds and ended up chatting to the folks from Sound It Out that had a distro at the gig, they were really nice. They recognised the NE accent (I'm from Newton Aycliffe originally), it was probably around 10 years ago and still stands as one of the most interesting conversations I've had at a gig, I've been meaning to nip into the shop when I'm up that way but its only every few years. I bought the DVD documentary about the shop from them too and it was ace!
RedTeamWins wrote:
Turbo wrote:I presented the goods and I got no reply. Good job this isnt ebay.

A+++ EXCELLENT MOOBS, WOULD VIEW AGAIN.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:54 am

New albums from Soen, Steven Wilson, Accept, Tribulation and The Body all out today.

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:03 am

I've been looking forward to Soen, I'll give it a spin when it's up on Spotify

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:14 am

Gonna acquire Tribulation today, wouldn't need to download it if the record had arrived in time, but seeing as I won't be getting it until next week, it's downloading time.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:16 pm

Tribulation's Where The Gloom Becomes Sound is very good, same style as the last 2 albums, and that's good with me.

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:49 pm

Got the Soen and Steven Wilson albums today

Soen - sounds very good on first listen, possibly not as good as Lotus on first listen, but plenty of time for it to grow that way

Steven Wilson - I knew this was going to be a different album for him and a lot 'poppier' and on first listen, that is the case. A couple of decent tracks, but most of the rest doesnt grab me yet. I'm not on of the fans that is calling him every name under the sun, but this one likely isnt for me. Hopefully it grows on me though. Still looking forward to seeing him on tour later this year though (if it still happens), and hopefully the next album will be more for me

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:53 pm

cheesemason wrote:Steven Wilson - I knew this was going to be a different album for him and a lot 'poppier' and on first listen, that is the case. A couple of decent tracks, but most of the rest doesnt grab me yet. I'm not on of the fans that is calling him every name under the sun, but this one likely isnt for me. Hopefully it grows on me though. Still looking forward to seeing him on tour later this year though (if it still happens), and hopefully the next album will be more for me

I don't get the hate for this album. Its a bit poppy in places, but it isn't exactly a million miles from everything he'd one before. Its not like he's completely reinvented the wheel.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

gavdann
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby gavdann » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:13 pm

Ghost wrote:
Soze wrote:The new Aspyhx album is really good.

Yes the new Aspyhx is rather juicy.

Loving this as well. Death-doom Bolt Thrower stylee metal always gets my juices going and I love Martin van Drunen's vocals.

This and the Frozen Soul album certainly signal a solid start to 2021.

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Sun Jan 31, 2021 3:39 pm

Skippy wrote:
cheesemason wrote:Steven Wilson - I knew this was going to be a different album for him and a lot 'poppier' and on first listen, that is the case. A couple of decent tracks, but most of the rest doesnt grab me yet. I'm not on of the fans that is calling him every name under the sun, but this one likely isnt for me. Hopefully it grows on me though. Still looking forward to seeing him on tour later this year though (if it still happens), and hopefully the next album will be more for me

I don't get the hate for this album. Its a bit poppy in places, but it isn't exactly a million miles from everything he'd one before. Its not like he's completely reinvented the wheel.

On second listen, I liked 3 or 4 so hopefully it’s growing on me. It’s okay, but I usually love his stuff so it is a step down for me even if it grows quite a bit more

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:12 am

cheesemason wrote:
Skippy wrote:

On second listen, I liked 3 or 4 so hopefully it’s growing on me. It’s okay, but I usually love his stuff so it is a step down for me even if it grows quite a bit more

Yeah, it isn't his best but its not the complete u-turn people are claiming. I'm actually a little disappointed he didn't go more pop, the poppy tracks are the best ones on the album. Again, maybe its a grower though.
Last edited by Skippy on Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:12 am

Double post